wan2604

Definition of household

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I just returned from a six month stay with my fiance. I am currently staying with my parents (and have used their address) until my fiance's visa gets approved. Because I haven't worked for the previous 6 months, my parents have agreed to co-sponsor my fiance. Upon closer inspection of the Mumbai consulate's website I found this:

If the additional sponsor lives in the same household as the petitioner, he/she is considered a household member, and cannot fill out a separate I-864. Such household members must execute a form I-864A, as described in paragraph iv below.

I just want to clarify the definition of household as not to delay getting this information to him as his interview is a month away. Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I just returned from a six month stay with my fiance. I am currently staying with my parents (and have used their address) until my fiance's visa gets approved. Because I haven't worked for the previous 6 months, my parents have agreed to co-sponsor my fiance. Upon closer inspection of the Mumbai consulate's website I found this:

If the additional sponsor lives in the same household as the petitioner, he/she is considered a household member, and cannot fill out a separate I-864. Such household members must execute a form I-864A, as described in paragraph iv below.

I just want to clarify the definition of household as not to delay getting this information to him as his interview is a month away. Thanks!

The I-864 is not used for K1 visas. Two separate I-134's are fine. When the time comes to adjust status after marriage, you'll do the I-864 as appropriate for the circumstances then.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

The I-864 is not used for K1 visas. Two separate I-134's are fine. When the time comes to adjust status after marriage, you'll do the I-864 as appropriate for the circumstances then.

Not true. Some consulates do require the I-864. Maroc did when we interviewed for the K1.

For the OP: I would check with others in the regional forum about their experiences with your same consulate at interview time and what they were asked to provide. You should also rcv the proper forms required by your consulate in packet 3/4.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Not true. Some consulates do require the I-864. Maroc did when we interviewed for the K1.

For the OP: I would check with others in the regional forum about their experiences with your same consulate at interview time and what they were asked to provide. You should also rcv the proper forms required by your consulate in packet 3/4.

Good luck! :thumbs:

That's a rare exception if true. By statute, they are not allowed to use the I-864 for a K visa. In any event. India doesn't.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.