Converse34

How did everyone meet?

114 posts in this topic

So how is it they we all came to meet our fiance(e)s/Spouses from the US/UK? I'm thinking a lot of people met online, but I bet just as many hadn't. I met must husband at a party when I was a student in Manchester.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cheesy, but met online through a dating site...he paid a membership just to send me a message, and the rest is history!!!

Dawn

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I met Nicky on a message board for Doves (the Manc band) who we are both huge fans of. We are also huge fans of the band U2, and he mentioned on the board he was basically coming over to the US for a bunch of shows. I messaged him and asked if he was coming to the show in Omaha, Nebraska (I'm originally from Nebraska and only moved up to Chicago a couple years ago) and at the time he wasn't, but changed his mind (he was originally going to go to the shows before and after Omaha). So we made an arrangement...if he gave me his presale code, I would get the tickets for us. So did that, he came over for the show and stayed with me (and about 6 other U2 buddies of mine) in my apartment in Lincoln. That also happened to be a few days before my birthday, so I had a birthday party at a local restaurant and later drinks at a martini bar called Doc's.

Now, what happened next just proves that Nicky is indeed truly in love with me!

So we were drinking and doing shots, and my friends wanted me to demonstrate a certain flaming shot called "The Statue of Liberty." Basically, you take a shot of rumplemintz, dip your finger in the shot....light your finger on fire, then take the shot. Once you have the shot down your gullet you put your finger in your mouth to put out the flame. Theoretically, this is all supposed to happen so fast that only the alcohol on your finger burns, and not your flesh.

So anyways, a bunch of us all thought it would be a good idea to make the Brit do the "Statue of Liberty." So Nicky nervously dips his finger in the shot, lights his finger on fire...and goes to take the shot. Now, instead of it ALL going down his gullet he splashes some of the booze on his face, and when he goes to put out his flaming finger he accidently lights his face on fire.

I'm not kidding you, poor Nicky had a flaming face.

To my embarrassment (and my friends embarrassment) we were all so shocked we sat there like idiots with our mouths open for a few seconds, including my friend who is a trauma nurse. One of my other friends (who happened to be an ex-flame...pun not intended) had his wits about him, looked around the table for water...and seeing that it was all booze decided to blow out his face. He just leaned over and "pfff pfff pfff" and put Nicky's face out.

Thankfully, other than a small bit on his cheek it was alcohol that burned, and my trauma nurse friend stepped into action.

As you can imagine, I felt BAD about it, and after he left we lost touch for a while. However, a few months later I was planning a backpacking trip to Europe and I got back in touch with Nicky, and we started talking about backpacking Scotland and Ireland. After leaving Paris I met up with him in Newcastle, and we finally had our first kiss several days later in Glasgow. And from there on out it is history.

So anyways, that is the long winded...and fiery version of us first meeting!

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
So how is it they we all came to meet our fiance(e)s/Spouses from the US/UK? I'm thinking a lot of people met online, but I bet just as many hadn't. I met must husband at a party when I was a student in Manchester.

By the way...greetings from Wrigleyville. I go out to Arlington Heights once a month or so to see a friend, and we always eat at Fuego, which is the best Mexican food I've ever had this side of the border (well, considering it is b/c I've never been south of the border :-p)

wtf-picard.jpg

We met online, it was a dating site but initially we kept in touch thinking the other one wasn't a possible partner. Neither of us wanted someone in another country. Our feelings changed over time though.

I'm not kidding you, poor Nicky had a flaming face.

:lol: That is too cute!!

Jeremy and I met the boring way it seems on an online game ;) We chatted for years, had a failed attempt at a relationship, got back in touch, had another go... That's the short version ;) Long version on our website :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Josh and I met on a gaming website (a mod site for Sims2 back when I really liked that game), became good friends through playing Guildwars and World of Warcraft together and agreed to meet after about 10 months of knowing each other. The first visit was wonderful and things went on from there :)

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Jeremy and I actually have the name of the place we met and our character names engraved on the inside of our wedding bands :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Alex and I met online on some forums - also terribly boring! (A more lengthy answer is in my profile).

I love the story, ginger! Now that's something interesting you definitely don't mind telling family and friends!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I met Ben at a music festival in Belgium. I was living in Brussels at the time, and he was living in Germany (air force). I was at the festival with my Dutch speaking friends, and I didn't speak it so I was kind of bored.... anyways on the last night we were going back to our tent for more wine when I heard people speaking beautiful English!!

So, we went over to their tent (completely wasted) and ended up hanging out with them all night. At the time I was shamefully drunk and didn't really talk to Ben. We asked where they were from and they said Canada. I'd spent a month in Canada a couple of years back so I asked where in Canada, and they said Lethbridge, AB.... that is the town I spent a month in! :lol: - they picked that town because one of the guys was from just over the border in Montana and thought he'd say Lethbridge because nobody would know where that was!

Anyways my friend started dating the Montana guy, and he told us they were really American, and they'd been telling people they were Canadian because they'd gotten attitude from some Belgians when they said they were American. So, they started visiting us in Brussels on weekends and that's when I really started talking to Ben. We started dating about 3 months after we met :) - the military send him to Utah in Feb 05, so we were long distance from then until last August. He's out of the military now :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Griff and I were at the same business conference in Chicago that was hosted by the company he then worked for. We didn't actually meet during the conference, but in the bar afterward! I ordered a pint of Harp while all the other women ordered Merlot. He was intrigued and said hello. Neither of us talked to anyone else the entire night!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Through Yahoo. Nick sent me a message that just said, "you look nice...talk?" Well I replied. I was down as my boyfriend had slept with my mate, Nick was down as his girlfriend had ran off with his best mate. I said I needed a holiday and was going to stay with a friend in Texas, we decided to meet for a couple of days. Had big argument with friend in Texas, decided rather than cancel holiday I'd change my flights and just go there for the full 3 weeks. The rest is history and the future lies ahead.

regarding games...I was also a guildwars addict, so much so I was and still am a guild leader. Don't play as much now. Was a WoW addict for many moons too but gave up when decided to move to US as not spending money on subscription for a character I can't use in US. Currently addicted to sid meyers pirates.

MY TIMELINES

K1

06/21/2007 - petition mailed....finally

07/09/2007 - NOA1 (hard copy 07/11/2007)

11/13/2007 - NOA2...127days after filing (hard copy 11/17/07)

12/22/2007 - packet 3 rec. (12/28/2007 returned)

01/11/2008 - medical (allergic to tetanus shot, requirement waived)

02/05/2008 - interview @ 10am - APPROVED!!!!!!

03/12/2008 - Flying Glasgow - Dublin - Chicago - Omaha

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

07/31/2008 - AOS and EAD finally mailed

08/02/2008 - Delivered

08/08/2008 - Check cleared

08/11/2008 - NOA1's for AOS and EAD recieved (reciept date 08/07/2008)

08/16/2008 - Biometrics letter recieved

09/09/2008 - Biometrics at 1pm, Omaha

09/26/2008 - AOS transferred to CSC

09/29/2008 - AOS touched (took out envelope at CSC and put in new pile)

10/03/2008 - AOS touched (probably that RFE coming soon!!!!)

10/06/2008 - AOS touched AGAIN!!! (surely it's an RFE)

10/15/2008 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!YEY!!!

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

01/26/2009 - Email from CRIS. GREENCARD PRODUCTION ORDERED..YIPPPPEEE

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

11/15/2010 - NOA1 and check cashed

Timeline

Gareth and I met online on a pen-friend site. My close friend convinced it would be a great idea to have a pen pal. After weeks of searching through different ads and only finding muppets and weirdos (I would get requests for my bank account information and worse.....much, much, much worse), she sent me Gareth's ad. I responded to his ad and the rest is history. The best decision I ever made.

Please buy Gareth's Flat....http://www.taylorsestateagents.co.uk/content/006_Results/002_Property/property-sales-tayrps-LWC080078-1213606331

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.