DeadPoolX

Valentine's Gifts

66 posts in this topic

I´ve also never heard of Valentine´s day being a one person holiday. It´s a holiday for people who are in love. It´s not women´s holiday :P

Very interesting how people often seem to forget where some holidays come from and what the history behind it is. (Like...does anyone realize that American Santa Claus is a character that originally represented Italian St.Nicholas, which is celebrated at the beginning of December and that Xmas has nothing to do with Santa Claus, and it has lots to do with Baby Jesus?)

Anyways, like somebody else mentioned, I also don´t like seeing men waiting in lines for flowers that day. It´s cuz lots of the men seem to be bothered by it anyways and they just seem to do it cuz they have to that day. I much more prefer getting flowers some other day when I don´t expect it and when it´s not like "compulsory". If the holiday is comercialized or not, it´s up to us. We are the people and we decide if we wanna go to the stores and listen to what they dictate us (same with any other holiday). If you wanna do something special with your SO, you will. If you don´t then it´s fine too. Ofcourse it gets a little bit more complicated when you are apart from each other. Last year I got my then fiance (now husband) something small and he got me nothing (I mean from a store). So? We couldn´t be together back then, so it was the visiting each other time and on Valentine´s day we happened to be together in Venice, Italy. We had a wonderful time together and being together was much better than any gifts in the world.

Here comes the idea for the person who originally asked: how about you flying out to Canada to see her for the weekend? I bet she´d be pleasantly surprised :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't like Hallmark telling me when I should express my love. We won't be celebrating.

Those are my sentiments.

So... I guess you don't celebrate Christmas, Easter or birthdays either, right? After all, the first two have been very commercialized and the last one is merely indicated in a chronological sense and denoted on the calendar. With all three, some other entity is telling you when to celebrate these events.

In fact, no. Beyond doing what I feel is obligated in terms of family expectations on Christmas, Easter, and children's birthdays, I don't really "believe" in those either. We don't exchange gifts with each other and I'd be content if those days didn't exist.

ETA: Not sure why you're trying to find some hypocrisy in this position. It's a personal choice and if you want to celebrate Valentine's Day, more power to you. I just choose not to.

Jenn, I can respect your decision, because while you avoid celebrating Valentine's Day, you also do the same with other commercialized holidays as well. :thumbs:

I don't like Hallmark telling me when I should express my love. We won't be celebrating.

Those are my sentiments.

So... I guess you don't celebrate Christmas, Easter or birthdays either, right? After all, the first two have been very commercialized and the last one is merely indicated in a chronological sense and denoted on the calendar. With all three, some other entity is telling you when to celebrate these events.

The resentment towards the commercial aspect of any holiday is pretty much the same, however, I wouldn't compare Valentine's Day to Christmas, Easter or even my wife's birthday....sorry. :no:

Steven, your argument has been that you dislike Valentine's Day because it is so commercialized, correct? You dislike the idea of Hallmark telling us when and how we should express our love to our significant others. How is this any different from the way other holidays -- such as Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Halloween -- have become completely commercialized, thereby losing their original meanings, transforming themselves into nothing more than virtual feeding frenzies for brick-and-mortar and online retailers?

Think about it for a moment. How many people really stop and give consideration to the "true" meaning of Christmas? Not that many -- they're too busy knocking each other over for that final gift to store under the Christmas Tree. What about Easter? Well... who cares so long as there are chocolate bunnies and color-coated eggs to hide, right? Thanksgiving? That's nothing more than an excuse to "pig out" and watch football. Oh and then there's Halloween... yeah, I'm sure everyone knows this night was originally used by ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores; that must be why little kids dress up in costumes they've urged their parents to buy in order to go door-to-door, badgering people for candy.

Look, I don't even really care for Valentine's Day that much. It's not that interesting of a holiday to me. The reason I'm raising such a fuss is because I see a glaring inconsistency here. Obviously, I can't make you change your mind and you don't have to listen to a word I say, but since you seem to be so very fond of telling us how we need to be consistent about the 2nd Amendment and gun laws, I'd like to think you'd want to be consistent in other areas of your life as well. :)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Steven, your argument has been that you dislike Valentine's Day because it is so commercialized, correct? You dislike the idea of Hallmark telling us when and how we should express our love to our significant others. How is this any different from the way other holidays -- such as Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Halloween -- have become completely commercialized, thereby losing their original meanings, transforming themselves into nothing more than virtual feeding frenzies for brick-and-mortar and online retailers?

Think about it for a moment. How many people really stop and give consideration to the "true" meaning of Christmas? Not that many -- they're too busy knocking each other over for that final gift to store under the Christmas Tree. What about Easter? Well... who cares so long as there are chocolate bunnies and color-coated eggs to hide, right? Thanksgiving? That's nothing more than an excuse to "pig out" and watch football. Oh and then there's Halloween... yeah, I'm sure everyone knows this night was originally used by ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores; that must be why little kids dress up in costumes they've urged their parents to buy in order to go door-to-door, badgering people for candy.

Look, I don't even really care for Valentine's Day that much. It's not that interesting of a holiday to me. The reason I'm raising such a fuss is because I see a glaring inconsistency here. Obviously, I can't make you change your mind and you don't have to listen to a word I say, but since you seem to be so very fond of telling us how we need to be consistent about the 2nd Amendment and gun laws, I'd like to think you'd want to be consistent in other areas of your life as well. :)

Unless you're thinking of buying your sweetheart a gun on Valentine's Day, then I say, to each his own. If you are...then you are one crazy SOB. (no offense) :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
when did jinky get a riding crop? :unsure:

That's a pic of a Republican (not in frame) about to get whipped by feminist. :P

jinky got a job whipping republicans? :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Unless you're thinking of buying your sweetheart a gun on Valentine's Day, then I say, to each his own. If you are...then you are one crazy SOB. (no offense) :P

Well... I am one crazy SOB, but that's beside the point. Although, if you're SO is into firearms, perhaps something like the guns on this website might work for her, since they're a little more "fashionable" than your average weapon. :dance:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

New low for VJ! Flaming in a Valentine's Day thread! Charles, do you have a good smiley for this occasion?

Timeline
New low for VJ! Flaming in a Valentine's Day thread! Charles, do you have a good smiley for this occasion?

GAYHEARTS.JPG

How about some heart candies? :D

HA! Casual encounters candies... where can I get them?

Timeline

GAYHEARTS.JPG

How about some heart candies? :D

HA! Casual encounters candies... where can I get them?

Probably at your local adult novelty shop. :P

Timeline
Wait, they're not real, right?

I can't confirm that. I keeping finding this kind of candy...

From the DOE (Department Of Enjoyment)

http://www.enjoy.co.uk/acatalog/Edible_Can...sing_Pouch.html

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Timeline
Wait, they're not real, right?

oh Alex, sometimes you are so cute! :)

risque_valentine_heart_candy.jpg

Could be offensive - the x-rated version

I know. :luv: But on the off-chance that there really were Craigslist Casual Encounters Lingo conversation hearts, I would want to get some!