one...two...tree

My big, fat, unpaid credit card bill

49 posts in this topic

Steve, you bring the best out of everyone dont you. Such an Inspiration :whistle:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Marc, take your avatar and go to bed, would ya?

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Marc, take your avatar and go to bed, would ya?

I was weened from my mother long ago. I certainly don't need you tellin me what I should do.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Dave Ramsey for President!! :):thumbs::yes::yes:

Woot!!

We're trying pay cash for everything from now on. Not a house though.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We're trying to save for a house, but in this part of Mass a 20% downpayment is likely $70,000 or more, even with the sad market right now. I like to think that somewhere in the country, we really would be paying in cash for our house with that money! Glad to find other Dave listeners out there. I don't really know any in my immediate surroundings.

*~*~*~ CR Timeline ~*~*~*

Jan. 29 2004 -- NOA I-130

July 2 2004 -- RFE

Aug. 6 2004 -- NOA2 I-130 APPROVED!!

Nov. 10 2004 -- NVC completes case!!

...waiting for an interview date...day 300+ and counting...

Dec. 11 2004 -- NVC assigns interview for January 6 2005!

Jan. 6 2005 -- Approved!

Jan. 9 2005 -- Living in the US

Jan. 24 2005 -- Welcome to America letter received

Jan. 29 2005 -- Green card arrives! (15 business days after entry)

Feb. 3 2005 -- Gainfully employed

Feb. 7 2005 -- SS card comes in mail (re-applied in person Jan. 25 after DS-230 application resulted in nothing)

*~*~*~* Removing Conditions~*~*~*

Nov. 27 2006 -- filed I-751 to Vermont

Jan. 08 2007 -- received I-551 stamp received from Boston with Infopass appt (card expired tomorrow, no NOA; they took my green card :( )

Jan. 10 2007 -- NOA received (figures!! Dated 12/21/2006)

Jan. 11 2007 -- biometrics appt letter (Dated 01/05/2007)

Jan. 20 2007 -- biometrics done in Boston

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Yeah, credit cards can be dangerous...

duckcc.jpg

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Yeah, credit cards can be dangerous...

duckcc.jpg

That's one patriotic bird. Plus evoking two national pastimes: hunting & shopping. Noble creature.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Have three credit cards, 2 visas (one was like 7% and the other at 11%), and 1 AE which I never really use. My debt was over 5k total. With our quarterly bonus which is measured in sales vs output, I was able to pay them off (We had a great end of year quarterly in sales - last 3rd quarter prior was nada). And I still have 3k from that bonus in my savings which will help buy tickets for four of us back to Brasil :wacko: . But I/we was sure tempted to do what most people do here at work and buy something with that $$ and get ourselves into even higher debt.

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm... no debt here. I have several credit cards (which I pay off in full with every statement) and debit cards. I've never really understood the so-called "danger" behind credit cards that a lot of people warn about. It's common sense to not spend beyond your means.

I'm always amazed when people -- intelligent adults; not fool-hardy teenagers with little-to-no life experience -- fail to realize that just because you can charge something to a credit card and not pay now, that doesn't mean you won't have to pay later. Making minimum payments is better than nothing at all (which could do serious damage to your credit rating), but it's not optimal, since the APR will hit you hard.

Credit cards are not "free money" since the companies that issue them want to be paid for allowing you the ability to use their card. They don't have to do it. I highly doubt anyone really wishes we could go back to the days when we only had cash and checks (or cheques). Perhaps it was easier to keep account of, but far more difficult to carry around. I, for one, would rather have a small card-shaped piece of plastic than a full checkbook or numerous bills.

Please do note that I understand there may be extenuating circumstances in which extremely large charges would be placed upon a credit card that the user might not be able to pay all at once. This is, however, a far cry from going on a wild shopping spree and forgetting how to budget your finances.

I apologize if I come off as "lecturing" in this topic, but this is an area of frustration for me. I've known many people who complain about how "evil" credit cards are, all because they themselves have used credit cards to purchase what they could not afford and therefore, went deeply into debt. Blame the credit card? I'd say blame the user.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok, as usual, DeadPool, I just skimmed your post because it was way too long (and the tone...oh the tone). But I think you were saying people should be more responsible with credit cards. You have to remember that sometimes people get in a cycle of paying off their credit card with the NEXT paycheck when something bad or expensive happens. Then, if it happens again, they get farther down. I don't know many people who are off buying stereo systems they can't afford. Some, sure, but not that many people.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Ok, as usual, DeadPool, I just skimmed your post because it was way too long (and the tone...oh the tone). But I think you were saying people should be more responsible with credit cards. You have to remember that sometimes people get in a cycle of paying off their credit card with the NEXT paycheck when something bad or expensive happens. Then, if it happens again, they get farther down. I don't know many people who are off buying stereo systems they can't afford. Some, sure, but not that many people.

I agree. The Two-Income Trap is an excellent read on this subject. From Amazon:

Presenting carefully researched economic data to support their arguments, the authors contend that, contrary to popular myth, families aren't in trouble because they're squandering their second income on luxuries. On the contrary, both incomes are almost entirely committed to necessities, such as home and car payments, health insurance and children's education costs. When an unforeseen event such as serious illness, job loss or divorce occurs, families have no discretionary income to fall back on.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Timeline

My main debt is my student loans and I think we have a total of about $1000 in credit card debt that I plan on paying off with our tax rebate. We had to use it when Neil was out of work for 6 weeks. He's working again now and I'm having an interesting time trying juggle and catch up on the bills.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah, go through a rough patch and make *one* late payment and watch your APR soar (in addition to the late fee). God forbid you are close to your limit at that point because then the late fee puts you over your limit, so you also have to pay the over-the-limit fee AND have your APR go up even more because you went over your limit. Then you're forever trying to catch up because you're paying astronomical amounts of interest.

Credit cards are great, but don't expect that you can slip up, even once.

I applied for a credit card back in November and was approved for a $3,000 limit and no interest on purchases for 12 months (considering I have been working for less than a year so therefore only have a limited credit history here, I thought this was a good deal). I currently have a small balance that I plan to pay off by March. I made a large purchase in December and am paying it off monthly in four instalments. If I have to pay less one month due to other commitments, then I will simply extend the payment plan for a month or two.

I do agree though that it is easy to rely on a credit card if money is a little tight. Certainly when I was younger back in the UK and didn't earn a whole lot, I relied on a credit card every so often when my salary wasn't quite stretching to the next pay day. My December bonus would always sort out any balances I had so I was lucky that I had this to fall back on.

Credit card companies cannot force you to open an account and spend cash you don't have, but I do think they need to be more responsible lenders when it comes to credit limits and astronomical interest fees. They are aware that certain members of society will rely on credit cards to make ends meet, and shouldn't be exploiting those groups.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I applied for a credit card back in November and was approved for a $3,000 limit and no interest on purchases for 12 months (considering I have been working for less than a year so therefore only have a limited credit history here, I thought this was a good deal). I currently have a small balance that I plan to pay off by March. I made a large purchase in December and am paying it off monthly in four instalments. If I have to pay less one month due to other commitments, then I will simply extend the payment plan for a month or two.

I do agree though that it is easy to rely on a credit card if money is a little tight. Certainly when I was younger back in the UK and didn't earn a whole lot, I relied on a credit card every so often when my salary wasn't quite stretching to the next pay day. My December bonus would always sort out any balances I had so I was lucky that I had this to fall back on.

Credit card companies cannot force you to open an account and spend cash you don't have, but I do think they need to be more responsible lenders when it comes to credit limits and astronomical interest fees. They are aware that certain members of society will rely on credit cards to make ends meet, and shouldn't be exploiting those groups.

Exactly!

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .