malego77

Waiver after deportation 27 years ago??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My mother in law entered to US ilegally in 1979. She was deported but she re-entered to US. Now my husband US citizen wants to bring her to US but we are afraid about it. He wants apply her for a residence. If she was deported is a crime if she entered ilegally one more time to US after deportation??? Does she need to fill out a waiver after 27 years??

What's your opinion?

Thanks for the help

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My mother in law entered to US ilegally in 1979. She was deported but she re-entered to US. Now my husband US citizen wants to bring her to US but we are afraid about it. He wants apply her for a residence. If she was deported is a crime if she entered ilegally one more time to US after deportation??? Does she need to fill out a waiver after 27 years??

What's your opinion?

Thanks for the help

We're going to need a lot more information.

Is she still in the U.S. now?

When was her last entry into the U.S. (the laws changed in 1996 and this would be VERY affected by that)

What type of visa (immigrant/visitor/immediate relative, etc.) are you considering?

Edited by emt103c

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think you will have to wait until you apply for naturalization. I don't believe that a USC can petition for someone that is not an immediate relative.

m.

IR-1 Visa, I-130

Consulate: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Marriage: 2002-02-02

DCF:

Interview: 2008-04-02

POE: 2008-04-11

Timeline

What's your opinion?

Thanks for the help

We're going to need a lot more information.

Is she still in the U.S. now?

When was her last entry into the U.S. (the laws changed in 1996 and this would be VERY affected by that).

What type of visa (immigrant/visitor/immediate relative, etc.) are you considering?

Hi, thanks for repply, you see:

Is she still in the U.S. now? No, she isn't.

When was her last entry into the U.S. (the laws changed in 1996 and this would be VERY affected by that). She was entered the last time in 1980, and she returned to Mexico at the same year.

What type of visa (immigrant/visitor/immediate relative, etc.) are you considering? My husband wants to bring her like immediate relative (apply her for a residence). But he afraid it'll be a problem due to the deportation

Thanks for the help

Edited by malego77

Timeline
I think you will have to wait until you apply for naturalization. I don't believe that a USC can petition for someone that is not an immediate relative.

m.

Hi, the process I'm talking about is for my mother-in-law (mother of my husband). My husband is the US citizen.

Timeline

m.

Hi, the process I'm talking about is for my mother-in-law (mother of my husband). My husband is the US citizen.

He can apply and because it was so long ago, she shouldn't need a waiver of any kind. The laws making an entry like that illegal (with BIG consequences, didn't happen until 1996.) It's been more than twenty years since her last entry!

It shouldn't even take that long!

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

m.

He can apply and because it was so long ago, she shouldn't need a waiver of any kind. The laws making an entry like that illegal (with BIG consequences, didn't happen until 1996.) It's been more than twenty years since her last entry!

It shouldn't even take that long!

I think that the law is that if your re-enter illegally after being removed, then there is a life time ban. But this law is as of 1996, so Im not sure about something that happened in 1980....;attorney time.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

You are right about that law being as of 1996. It doesn't apply here.

It is always a good idea to consult an attorney before starting this process.

This website is to a good one who specializes in some of the more difficult Mexico cases. Also offers phone/email consultations inexpensively.

www.visacentral.net

Edited by emt103c

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.