ceresa

2 weeks vacation

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my hubby gets 10 vacation days, 3 personal days and 12 sick days a year and then he gets about 6 paid holidays...

after he has worked there for 4 years he gets 15 vacation days, which will be at the end of this year...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

NO

Welcome to the US...

Consider yourself lucky if you even get two weeks. I work and was told that in my first year, I get only one week.

However, that never stopped me before...I just give quit when I want more time than they will give. And if they only give one week vacation, I only give one week notice of quiting.

Haha - yeah, Jeremy has been really lucky and taken unpaid time off - I only hope I fall into a nice job that will let me do the same so I get to see my family :/

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Vacation time is one of my big concerns for the move.

How do companies feel about giving out unpaid leave? We have a regular holiday that we go on with a group of friends and the way my timeline is going it's likely I'll have only been in a job (if I'm lucky) 3 - 5 months maximum.

Do you think getting time off so early in my working career would be an issue, and is it 'cheeky' to ask for unpaid leave? Is this something that I ask at the interviewing stage, or try and obtain later on once I'm working?

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Just ask about company policy on unpaid leave.

If you have bargaining power with the company, you could always negotiate that. There is a person at work who negotiate for unpaid leave when he joined but I think it was only for the 1st year as he already have his vacation plan scheduled.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
We have a regular holiday that we go on with a group of friends and the way my timeline is going it's likely I'll have only been in a job (if I'm lucky) 3 - 5 months maximum.

Do you think getting time off so early in my working career would be an issue, and is it 'cheeky' to ask for unpaid leave? Is this something that I ask at the interviewing stage, or try and obtain later on once I'm working?

I'd say mention it in advance, i.e. once you get an indication that you are being seriously considered for the job. More chance that they will be ok with your pre-planned holiday than if you ask for a leave 3 or 5 months into employment.

My USC husband started a new job last September, but told them about our plan to take a 3 week vacation this Easter. No problem. Company even offered him another 2 weeks work from offshore so we can stay longer (Europe trip). He is a software developer so it is easy to work off-site. But it certainly helped that he told them before all paperwork was signed. Hope you get a great job once you arrive AND get to enjoy your holiday :)

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.