KikuyuLove

Kenyan violence affects

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We met in Germany back in September 2006 and got engaged in July 2007 and generally see each other every 3-6 weeks. Meanwhile, her visa to Germany is about to expire, so with the time it takes to get approval to come to the States, we thought it best to just do everything back in her home country, Kenya. She went home for Christmas and now all hell is about to break out over the elections there. We want to do the Consular marriage in Nairobi but my work schedule will not allow me to go before late February or early March. I have never been to Kenya, so I have no idea what exactly to expect there. We are very anxious more than ever with the political instability now cropping up in Kenya.

I have heard, that getting her approval to come here can be done start to finish in a about month.

I have a couple of specific questions if anyone can help.

1. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to get everything through at the Nairobi Embassy? (assuming no problems)

2. Will the local political problems have any affect on processing?

3. (Wishful thinking) Will going into a country with posted travel warnings buy me any points to get things rolling faster?

5/15/09 Picked up Visa

6/06/09 POE (IAD-Washington Dulles)

7/31/09 Civil Wedding

9/02/09 Mailed AOS-fired lawyer

9/16/09 Check Cashed

9/16/09 AOS NOAs issued

10/12/09 Biometrics Appointment -Baltimore

10/16/09 Received RFE

10/17/09 Mailed documents for RFE

11/04/09 AOS Transfered to CA

11/17/09 AP issued

11/20/09 Work Permit issued

12/09/09 Application APPROVED

12/10/09 Green Card production ordered

12/17/09 Green Card received

Child visa

11/17/09 Received email from Consulate to come in to process daughter's visa

12/30/09 Sharon arrives in Nairobi

01/15/10 Submitted Medicals and paperwork to Consulate

03/10/10 informed to pick-up visa 3/18/10

03/18/10 BLOWN OFF BY CONSULATE AFTER WAITING ALL DAY

03/19/10 Returned to Consulate-handed visa immediately upon arrival

04/17/10 Return flight via JFK --ON-HOLD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!!!

We met in Germany back in September 2006 and got engaged in July 2007 and generally see each other every 3-6 weeks. Meanwhile, her visa to Germany is about to expire, so with the time it takes to get approval to come to the States, we thought it best to just do everything back in her home country, Kenya. She went home for Christmas and now all hell is about to break out over the elections there. We want to do the Consular marriage in Nairobi but my work schedule will not allow me to go before late February or early March. I have never been to Kenya, so I have no idea what exactly to expect there. We are very anxious more than ever with the political instability now cropping up in Kenya.

I have heard, that getting her approval to come here can be done start to finish in a about month.

I have never heard of it being this quick unless you are doing DCF. Even so, Kenya does not do DCF. You would have to file a petition here in the US and right now it is taking anywhere from 4-6 months to get that approved.

1. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to get everything through at the Nairobi Embassy? (assuming no problems)

Looking at the timelines it looks like a couple of months between the approval of the petition to interview.

I don't forsee any unless the embassy specifically says so. As of today they have not said anything about suspending processing of visas: http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/index.html

3. (Wishful thinking) Will going into a country with posted travel warnings buy me any points to get things rolling faster?

I don't think so :no:

I would suggest taking a nice, long look at the guides. A K1 visa, would probably be the fastest way to get your fiancee here because all you really need to do is prove that you have met within the last 2 years. No need to wait for a marriage certificate.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Thank you ZeeNusah!

5/15/09 Picked up Visa

7/31/09 Civil Wedding

9/16/09 Check Cashed

9/16/09 AOS NOAs issued

10/16/09 Received RFE

11/17/09 AP issued

Child visa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

We picked up my fiance's packet at the embassy in Nairobi in early January, he did his medical and police report...called the number they gave us and has his interview on Feb 6th (in just a few hours Oh My God! :help: ). I am freaking out! We started our K-1 process in July 2007 and I went to Kenya (2nd trip) ON ELECTION DAY and stayed until January 11th. It was pretty crazy. As far as the bonus of the pressure the political cris involves...dunno! Your guess is as good as mine. We are hoping that basic humanity and common sense due to the political scene will fill the interviewers' heart and stamp that GOSH DARN VISA :angry: ! I will update my profile with any additional info that I get. Good luck!

Edited by selam

Best Regards,

Crissy

I-129F Sent : Jule 5, 2007

I-129F NOA1 :July 13, 2007

TOUCHED: November 10, 2007

APPROVED: November 21, 2007

NVC Rcvd: December 3, 2007

Picked up packet: January 8, 2008

Medical: January 9, 2008

Police Report: January 28, 2008

Interview Date: FEBRUARY 6, 2008 @ 8 AM...PASSED INTERVIEW

Picked up Passport with VISA stamp from Embassy: February 12, 2008

Port of Entry JFK n Received 90 day work stamp in passport February 25, 2008

Applied for SSN March 3, 2008

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi, I am an American living with my husband who is Kenyan in Nairobi. I have been here a year, and it is quite a culture shock and I am eagerly wanting to go back to the US. I agree that with the impending violence there are concerns. I would suggest that you complete all your paperwork ASAP. We will be completing our paperwork in May and I am hoping that will go very fast. I have heard that DCF (Direct Consulate Filing) filing is very quick, but it is only for US citizens living overseas for at least six months with their spouse in the spouse's home country. That is the route we are taking since I have been living here a year. I was told that the Kenya does to DCF through the Department of Homeland Security office at the Consulate, but double check, I know that we will before we file. Usually a spousal petition 1-130 takes a while, like maybe up to a year for the whole process to be complete, but it could be even shorter it depends on the back log. I wish you all the best.

• 6 months later...
Timeline

I went down to Kenya in May to see if we could get married and go for the K3 but we ran into problems after a disagreement and thus delayed action while on the ground in Nairobi. Everything between us is back on track now more in love than ever with any issue I could every imagine completely talked through and worked out. I am just kicking myself for the time wasted that the K1 could have been processing. :crying: Well at least I know how many cows and goats I need now after talking to the family. :luv:

Hopefully, we will have all the translations from her passport done by mid-week and I can get the package up to Vermont by next week! My lawyer suggested including everything from pics to boarding passes as well in the package for evidence that we have met etc. Now I have 6 more pages of stuff. This package is about 3/4 inch thick now!

post-44476-1220299391_thumb.jpg

5/15/09 Picked up Visa

7/31/09 Civil Wedding

9/16/09 Check Cashed

9/16/09 AOS NOAs issued

10/16/09 Received RFE

11/17/09 AP issued

Child visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.