simplylaura

Getting a divorce. Do I need an immigration lawyer?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This may sound like a dumb question but my husband and I are getting a divorce, do we consult an immigration lawyer? Or will any divorce lawyer be enough? He is the USC and I have my 2 yr GC. I will be petitioning for permenant residency based on a good faith marriage. Things just didn't work out for us and we mutually agreed to end things. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions and now we have reached a place where we can finally start the divorce process and move forward. We just don't know if we need an immigration lawyer or a divorce lawyer or an immigration divorce lawyer. Is there such a thing? Please help.

Thanks,

Laura

This may sound like a dumb question but my husband and I are getting a divorce, do we consult an immigration lawyer? Or will any divorce lawyer be enough? He is the USC and I have my 2 yr GC. I will be petitioning for permenant residency based on a good faith marriage. Things just didn't work out for us and we mutually agreed to end things. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions and now we have reached a place where we can finally start the divorce process and move forward. We just don't know if we need an immigration lawyer or a divorce lawyer or an immigration divorce lawyer. Is there such a thing? Please help.

Thanks,

Laura

An attorney practising Family Law will be able to provide divorce services. You could just query what your case looks like with an immigration attorney, if you are unsure of whether you have sufficient evidence, but I think it is not essential, unless your case is out of the norm.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yah, I would suggest you just need a divorce attorney. If there was anything unusual, they could always consult an immigration attorney on a need to know type thing.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• 2 weeks later...

I have couple questions too..

I am USC and my wife came to US Oct 24, 2007 (After she came in she got 2 years permanant green card) and we are getting divorce right now and she wants to go back to her country...

As a USC do i have to file anything or send any information to Immigration????

Very important...!

Also, she is going back to her country, but she wants to come back and stay... Can she do that???

If the answer is yes, would you please give us some informaiton???

Thanks for helping...

Edited by truthonlytruth

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uganda
Timeline

First of all, sorry things have not worked out for the 2 couples above. I'm not an attorney; however, I have gone thru' divorce and dealt with several attorneys. Laura & Truthonlytruth, it seems like both of your marriages have been short, and therefore will not be as complex to dissolve (no children, property, etc). So far both parties in both cases seem to agree on going their separate ways (hopefully, amicably). You can learn about the process at the Family Law Assistance Center at the court you will file your divorce papers. Involving lawyers usually complicates & lengthens the dissolution process, & will surely drain you financially. If you really think you need a family lawyer, contact some who volunteer their legal services at some of the courts. They will give you adequate assistance (free) as you begin your separate lives over. I wish all of you well.

I have couple questions too..

I am USC and my wife came to US Oct 24, 2007 (After she came in she got 2 years permanant green card) and we are getting divorce right now and she wants to go back to her country...

As a USC do i have to file anything or send any information to Immigration????

Very important...!

Also, she is going back to her country, but she wants to come back and stay... Can she do that???

If the answer is yes, would you please give us some informaiton???

Thanks for helping...

If she wishes to abandon her immigration journey and move overseas, she would be best served to formally relinquish her green card, using form I-407. (copy of one link is here http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/forms/I-407.pdf). This way future tourist visits would be possible.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Please take this in the spirit it is intended...humorously...but shouldn't the caption and title of this thread read more like, "Spouse Immigrating...do I need a divorce attorney?"

One with dyslexia might read it that way... :wacko::blink:

Actually, that title would be incorrect. Sounds like you are still on your soapbox.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually, that title would be incorrect. Sounds like you are still on your soapbox.

I'll probably be kicked out of the club for this, but I thought it was a funny play on words. :)

(Current mood: Merciful.)

Oh I'm sure it was a play on words, but considering the current point of view.... :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

(Current mood: Merciful.)

You need to change your thing over your box thingies...

wow I'm a loser.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Oh I'm sure it was a play on words, but considering the current point of view.... :)

Yep, I know. Believe me, I have my +1 Unholy Hammer of Judgment dialed all the way to 11 at all times for maximum poundage. But I'm all for a little levity too. :)

wow I'm a loser.

<_< I'm back to judging. You. <_<

;)

Edited by mox

wow I'm a loser.

<_< I'm back to judging. You. <_<

;)

HUGS! ;)

Are you at work still? you aren't answering my msn's! :whistle:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.