melusine84

form I-751 "conditional residence expires on _____"

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

On the I-751 form, it asks "Conditional Residence Expires on (mm/dd/yyyy)" My husband's green card was given for 10 yrs (expires 2/16/16), but he SHOULD be considered conditional as we were married less than 2 yrs. So would I put the date 2/3/08 (as he has been a resident since 2/3/06)? Or 2/16/16? Technically it's not asking when the card expires...

June 25, 2011- Married!

August ???, 2011 - Submit I-130 petition to Embassy in Asuncion, Paraguay

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

10 year green-card is NOT conditional it is a PERMANENT card, you do not file I-751 to remove conditions because there are NO CONDITIONS. I see that you entered the country on the visa less than 2 years after marriage. This may be an over site on the part of USCIS, you may just want to schedule an INFO pass appointment and confirm status as being conditional or un-conditional, if the latter, you just lucked out and do not need to file to remove conditions.

You file form I-90 to renew the card, either by mail or electronically on-line.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000d1f1d6a1RCRD

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline
10 year green-card is NOT conditional it is a PERMANENT card, you do not file I-751 to remove conditions because there are NO CONDITIONS. I see that you entered the country on the visa less than 2 years after marriage. This may be an over site on the part of USCIS, you may just want to schedule an INFO pass appointment and confirm status as being conditional or un-conditional, if the latter, you just lucked out and do not need to file to remove conditions.

You file form I-90 to renew the card, either by mail or electronically on-line.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000d1f1d6a1RCRD

I disagree. The statutes do not provide for any alien "lucking out". If there is a mistake made by the Service, that does not obviate the need for the alien to comply with the regulations. I would file the form with the "conditional residency expires" box noted with the date 2 years from the date the GC was awarded. Then provide a cover letter stating that you are submitting the I-751 to comply with the INA that states that an alien should petition to remove conditions from residency 90 days prior to the expiry of the card, but in your estimation the card your spouse has may be incorrect in that it has a 10 year expiration.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
I disagree. The statutes do not provide for any alien "lucking out". If there is a mistake made by the Service, that does not obviate the need for the alien to comply with the regulations. I would file the form with the "conditional residency expires" box noted with the date 2 years from the date the GC was awarded. Then provide a cover letter stating that you are submitting the I-751 to comply with the INA that states that an alien should petition to remove conditions from residency 90 days prior to the expiry of the card, but in your estimation the card your spouse has may be incorrect in that it has a 10 year expiration.
That is why I suggested to schedule and INFO-pass appointment and ask an immigrations officer what the status is Conditional or NOT, and what is needed to file.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline
That is why I suggested to schedule and INFO-pass appointment and ask an immigrations officer what the status is Conditional or NOT, and what is needed to file.

Be that as it may, one IO at a district office could misunderstand (wouldn't be the first time it has occured) and if the OP failed to supply the I-751 within a certain time frame based upon faulty guidance, then the alien could find him/herself out of status.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.