Ei income....received it in 2008

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im sure when she calls,or gets her T4E form, she will know for sure, lol :jest:

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I hear you Scott, you are saying paid in 07 earned in 07 (if she did get any payment in 07), I thought that Udella&Wiz was actually questioning the deemed for 07 paid in 08 EI benefits.

Anyway - the answer is here: link

I began my EI claim in December 2007, but I did not receive a T4E. Why?

EI benefits are taxable in the taxation year in which they are paid. For example, if your EI claim began on December 23, 2007, but your payment was issued on or after January 1st, 2008, it is considered income for 2008.

Her EI payments she's referring to were issued in Dec of 2007. She didn't get em in her bank till 2008 so therefore the income is classed as money earned in 2007 as it was recoreded as beiing paid by EI in Dec. Any and all payments issued now after Dec 31 will be classed as earnings for 2008. She'll receive another T4 E next yr for the money they paid out on that claim in 2008.

I have had EI claims in split yrs before and that's how it always went unless they changed it

No not really. The money was deposited in to her account in 2008, therefore it will counted as 2008 income.

That is really the basis of the Canadian taxation system, in terms of non business income - otherwise employers would be issuing T4's calculating how much everyone 'really' earned until midnight December 31st, not based on what they actually physically paid to you up until then.

Although it went into the bank in Jan 2008.The cards would be for the 2 weeks in Dec therefore would be the same as income for 2007.

It would be like if your 2 week waiting period was the last 2 weeks in Dec and you worked in one of those weeks but didn't receive the payment till 2 weeks later. They don't consider the earnings made when you get paid they record it for the week you worked

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Although it went into the bank in Jan 2008.The cards would be for the 2 weeks in Dec therefore would be the same as income for 2007.

It would be like if your 2 week waiting period was the last 2 weeks in Dec and you worked in one of those weeks but didn't receive the payment till 2 weeks later. They don't consider the earnings made when you get paid they record it for the week you worked

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.