Dakota smiley

Social security NR!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Moldova
Timeline

Hello to everyone!I'm new here,but I already like it!)))

I filed 4 adjustment of status,but haven't been approved yet. Although I got a notice saying that my Work authorisation is on its way.

I'm trying to figure out how can I change my name on a social security number from my maiden name onto married.Where can I do that and how?Thank u all in advance.

P.S.i already have a social security number

Edited by dakota14

I filed 4 adjustment of status,but haven't been approved yet. Although I got a notice saying that my Work authorisation is on its way.

I'm trying to figure out how can I change my name on a social security number from my maiden name onto married.Where can I do that and how?Thank u all in advance.

Take your marriage cert and go to the local Social Security office. They will help you there.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Moldova
Timeline

I've been there,but for some reason they were no help 2 me.They said they need smth more than marriage certificate,some document from uscis.I was thinking about waiting 4 my EAD,or just take my I-797.But I'm not really sure it would work!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The SSA probably won't allow you to change your name on your SSN until you have your green card. Go back there when you get it. Take your green card, an ID (driver license or state ID) in your old name, and your marriage license.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

The SSA probably won't allow you to change your name on your SSN until you have your green card. Go back there when you get it. Take your green card, an ID (driver license or state ID) in your old name, and your marriage license.

They should let her change it with EAD and marriage certificate.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

They should let her change it with EAD and marriage certificate.

Yea, I would think they'd let you change it with your MC too. I suggest trying to change your SS card with your EAD and if it doesn't work then wait 'til you get your GC.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Timeline

Depends on what you want to do. If you only want to correct the name on your SSN record, you might be able to do that now, but if you want an SSN card with your married name you will need to wait for the EAD card. If your EAD card is in your married name that's all you should need, but take the marriage certificate too, just to on the safe side

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

D. PROCEDURE - SSN CARD REQUEST BY ALIEN NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK

4. Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card. (suppress issuance of the card, and see RM 00202.320 for providing SSN Verification Printouts.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document showing a name that is different from the name on the prior Numident record, accept the immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the number holder’s legal name.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Primary Evidence of identity for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign

passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

-- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed to establish the married name if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes

bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

Note: State law must also allow the type of name change wishing to be made

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information, e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or

parent's names, and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's

names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.)

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

You can refer SSA office personnel to EM-06064 for current procedures for a name change due to marriage:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/public/refere...cttocategory=EM

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.