bradcanuck

Any advice on SSN woes?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been trying to open a bank account with my SSN and even get a JC Penney card among a couple other little things like a credit report. My SSN isn't in anyone's database so I can't get anyone to approve me of anything. I'm getting pissed because the SSA keeps saying oh go get a secured credit card. GREAT BUT HOW IDIOTS they won't give me anything they think my number is fake or not valid.

How do I get this number to "kick in" so to speak?

Anyone have experience with this?

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

my experience is the same as yours. <sigh> it's pretty embarassing to get turned down for any kind of credit card.

i've been told to do the secured card route as well, but not many of those are even reported to the bureau's, so what is the point of that?

i've contacted RBC to see if I can get my Visa card switched to a RBC Centurian card even though i don't live near to any of their branches as a last hope.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's frustrating isn't it? The SSA office pleads ignorance, the credit bureaus do not answer their phones... so we are sort of just sitting in limbo I guess. The bank just shrugs, pizzmeovv.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

can your wife add you on as a joint owner of some of her credit cards? Discover has told me that adding the hubby as a joint owner (not just authorized user) will help him begin to build a credit history.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hubby just got a CapitalOne Visa card with his brand new social security number. Try them, they have several cards to pick from. The interest rate isn't great, but it's an unsecured card and a step in the right direction.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the issue you are having is that you have no credit rating, not that you have no SSN in the system. THats fairly normal for a new number. To get a credit rating, you need a credit card. Or a loan or mortgage. Best thing to do is be an authorized user on someone elses card or get a secured card. The biggest factors in your credit rating are the length of time you have had credit and your debt to credit ratio. Dont become an authorized user on someones card who has bad credit. Get a secured card instead.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I think the issue you are having is that you have no credit rating, not that you have no SSN in the system. THats fairly normal for a new number. To get a credit rating, you need a credit card. Or a loan or mortgage. Best thing to do is be an authorized user on someone elses card or get a secured card. The biggest factors in your credit rating are the length of time you have had credit and your debt to credit ratio. Dont become an authorized user on someones card who has bad credit. Get a secured card instead.

This is the same issue my husband had too. I added him to my credit card and it wasn't too long before he had a credit rating. It helped when applying (and getting) our mortgage. If he wanted to now, he could apply for a credit card in his name. Just our experience. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

If you're going to become an authorized user on someone's card, you had better do it quick and start your own credit going. Sometime in the very near future, the credit bureaus will stop counting the authorized user towards your credit score.

This was supposed to have begun in September 2007, but they are lagging a bit behind.

I know how frustrating it is to not have a credit rating down here. I was (thankfully) able to use my Canadian credit rating to get a few cards, and then switched my SIN to my SSN and now have 5 positive tradelines showing. I still have to let them age a bit though.

Your best bet is to get a couple of the credit starter cards, like the Capital One (beware with that one though. If they give you they $300 Credit Limit...and then get an increase to $500 at the 6 month mark, it WILL NOT go any higher. It's meant to be a starter card). Other places like Orchard are also a good place to start. They have a secured card that does report to All 3 Credit Reporting Agencies.

DO NOT use First Premier. SUB SUB Prime. I repeat...DO NOT USE THEM.

Once you get your foot in the door, you can and will start getting approved.

I got my first online approval with Wal-Mart on Christmas Day. It was only $125 but they used my US Credit and I got approved with no problems (only having 5 months of credit history down here).

Good luck with your Credit Journey! :thumbs::)

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i got a capital one credit card the same day i got my SSN.. only had $500 limit but better than nothing..

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Timeline

And when it comes to a mortgage, you don't have to be on the mortgage. I wasn't, but was put on the title! I had no clue what my credit score would be, so didnt bother. Guess that depends on ur spouses credit rating as well

Ya i read or saw that on TV that they are changing the authorized usaer thing!! Think it was on that Suzy Orman on MSNBC awhile back!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

we had no problems adding my name to my hubby's account...

my first credit card was a Chase Amazon card but the interest rate is #######... then I cot a capital one card...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It took a while for Andre's to clear the system. Just give it some time.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index Don't forget your entitled to a FREE credit report each year! They wont tell you your actual score,but you can check to see the information they have is correct

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Annualcreditreport.com is great. I've used it to check and make sure that 5 Tradelines I have are reporting and are correct.

Just remember, the only place to get your TRUE score is at http://www.myfico.com You will have to wait until you have at least 6 months of credit in order to get your score, or it won't be able to calculate it.

They can be expensive to buy all three scores from Equifax, Experian and Transunion, but they usually have discount codes. The one I use for my husband is mw01 and it gives you 20% off each score price.

The best way to get a good card, without the really high interest rates, it to get in with a Credit Union if you can.

I know that Emancipation and myself were able to join Navy Federal (pretty much the best in giving away credit) and we both got a Credit Card from them without any credit down here. They will just want to verify you have a job etc.

Once I have built up a score and have been good with them, NFCU has, what is called in the credit world, the NFCU Trifecta. Which is the Visa, MC, and Line of Credit. Once you're in with them, you're pretty much guaranteed all three.

Good luck to all trying to build! :)

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline

I found that link on the IRS website, so it should be reliable. One can find many sites that say free credit reports, but wouldnt trust them!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.