Choensa

Our attorney sent our application to the wrong place!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi there! After much stressing out over why our application is taking so long, I was led here, did some research, and found our attorney made a pretty sizeable error. He sent our applications packet to Nebraska, who immediately sent it to the National Benefits Center! We have his work permit, but it feels like nothing is being done with our case. We don't even have an interview appointment notice yet, while others who filed in November (we filed at the end of July) already have theirs!

Did this happen to anyone else? We paid to have an attorney to make things go more smoothly, and this is what we get. :crying: Has anyone had experience in getting their cases transferred in such a situation?

Any help anyone could provide would be well appreciated. My husband talked with out attorney today who basically just told him to just be quiet and wait, so I have thus sent a detailed email showing him the info from uscis.gov which states it should have been sent to Chicago.

Anyway, I am ranting now. Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. We are just so tired of immigration having such a hold on our lives.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I would call the USCIS up and ask them if your application is in the right place and what the heck is going on. Don't be worried about not having an interview date though not all applicants get scheduled for interview from what I have seen here. As for your immigration lawyer that is just unacceptable. Make sure to bring this up next time he bills you guys.

K-1 Visa Service Center : California Service Center ; Consulate : Belgium

2007-04-18 = I-129F Sent

2007-05-14 = I-129F NOA1

2007-08-10 = I-129F NOA2

2007-09-17 = Consulate Received

2007-09-18 = Packet 3 Received

2007-09-19 = Packet 3 Sent

2007-09-19 = Packet 4 Received

2007-09-24 = Interview Date

2007-09-24 = Visa Received

2007-09-28 = US Entry

2007-11-10 = Marriage

Processing Estimates/Stats : I-129f was approved in 114 days from your filing date. Interview took 159 days from your I-129F filing date.

Adjustment of Status CIS Office : Las Vegas NV

2007-11-23 = Date Filed at Chicago lockbox (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-07 = RFE(s) IRS tax forms

2007-12-21 = Biometrics Appt.

2007-12-23 = Met with an immigration lawyer who told us how to prove income without IRS tax forms

2008-01-10 = NOA reciept of RFE at Lee's Summit, case processing resumed

2008-03-24 = Interview Date (cancelled but we will still be going)

Pending : Approval / Denial Date, Got I551 Stamp, Greencard Received

Employment Authorization Document CIS Office : Chicago National Office; Filing Method : Mail; Filing Instance : First

2007-11-23 = Date Filed (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-21 = Bio. Appt.

2007-12-21 = Touche

2008-02-12 = Card production ordered

2008-02-13 = Touche

2008-02-15 = Approval email

2008-02-19 = Card Received

Hi there! After much stressing out over why our application is taking so long, I was led here, did some research, and found our attorney made a pretty sizeable error. He sent our applications packet to Nebraska, who immediately sent it to the National Benefits Center! We have his work permit, but it feels like nothing is being done with our case. We don't even have an interview appointment notice yet, while others who filed in November (we filed at the end of July) already have theirs!

Did this happen to anyone else? We paid to have an attorney to make things go more smoothly, and this is what we get. :crying: Has anyone had experience in getting their cases transferred in such a situation?

Any help anyone could provide would be well appreciated. My husband talked with out attorney today who basically just told him to just be quiet and wait, so I have thus sent a detailed email showing him the info from uscis.gov which states it should have been sent to Chicago.

Anyway, I am ranting now. Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. We are just so tired of immigration having such a hold on our lives.

If you have your EAD your case is likely at the right place.

However, its hard to say how long it will take for your AOS to go through. Some get approved without interview in 2 months. Others have taken 2-3 years before approval.

You can make an infopass appointment if you want more info on your case, although, they may not give you much.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

Unfortunately, we've already paid him in full, so it's not like we can withold the money or anything.

And the USCIS website says it needs to be sent to Chicago, and it wasn't. It can be processed where it is at, but it will take almost three times longer than it should. We want to move on with our lives, which includes going back to Korea for a short term stay, trying for our first child, buying a home, opening his business...which is all on delay because of our attorney's error.

I know some take really long for approval, but we're not even in name check status or anything. It's just not at the place it should be. -.-; I received a recommendation from someone to report him to our bar association, but hopefully, he'll step it up so that I won't need to take such steps.

Timeline

Oh, and just so we know...

We've been tracking our case status online. Do they update it when they mail out your interview appointment notice, or will it still just say that it's pending, we'll let you know when we've decided, etc.?

Did you receive your NOA's?

I filed at the end of July too and i've heard nothing since my biometrics in November.

From what i've read on this site, there is no update or touch on your case when they send out interview notices.

I've also heard of others who mailed their applications to the wrong place and their application was forwarded on to the right place.

If you want reassurance then maybe make an infopass appointment, but if your application was forwarded to the NBC then its in the right place, as i think that's where everyones goes NBC/MSC. From there it either gets transferred to CSC or to your local office where you will receive a letter with a date and time for your interview.

If you also go to the processing times on www.uscis.gov and look up your local office you will see what date they are working on. My local office says its working on applications dated June 18th, so i've a wee while to wait til they get to my date.

06/27/11 - Mailed N-400 Naturalization

06/28/11 - NOA Priority Date

08/10/11 - Biometrics (Early FP 07/21/11)

08/01/11 - In Line for Interview Scheduling

08/11/11 - Got Email the interview is scheduled

08/15/11 - Received interview letter for September 19th

08/15/11 - Received interview cancellation letter

10/14/11 - Received new interview letter

11/17/11 - N400 interview - PASSED!!!

11/29/11 - In Line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

12/30/11 - Got email that oath ceremony is scheduled

01/27/12 - Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!!!

04/30/10 - Mailed I-751 ROC

05/11/10 - Received NOA (dated 05/03/10)

06/11/10 - Biometrics

07/13/10 - Card Production Ordered

07/22/10 - 10 year Green Card Received in the mail

07/27/07 - I-130 & I-485 Sent to Chicago Lock Box

09/04/07 - Received NOA1 for both I-130 & I-485 (Notice Date of 31st August)

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

04/21/08 - Received I-130 Approval Notice

05/09/08 - I-485 Approved (Email - Welcome Notice mailed)

05/20/08 - PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD ARRIVED IN THE MAIL

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

We've been tracking our case status online. Do they update it when they mail out your interview appointment notice, or will it still just say that it's pending, we'll let you know when we've decided, etc.?

Nope, we got our interview letter without anything changing online (not even a touche)

K-1 Visa Service Center : California Service Center ; Consulate : Belgium

2007-04-18 = I-129F Sent

2007-05-14 = I-129F NOA1

2007-08-10 = I-129F NOA2

2007-09-17 = Consulate Received

2007-09-18 = Packet 3 Received

2007-09-19 = Packet 3 Sent

2007-09-19 = Packet 4 Received

2007-09-24 = Interview Date

2007-09-24 = Visa Received

2007-09-28 = US Entry

2007-11-10 = Marriage

Processing Estimates/Stats : I-129f was approved in 114 days from your filing date. Interview took 159 days from your I-129F filing date.

Adjustment of Status CIS Office : Las Vegas NV

2007-11-23 = Date Filed at Chicago lockbox (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-07 = RFE(s) IRS tax forms

2007-12-21 = Biometrics Appt.

2007-12-23 = Met with an immigration lawyer who told us how to prove income without IRS tax forms

2008-01-10 = NOA reciept of RFE at Lee's Summit, case processing resumed

2008-03-24 = Interview Date (cancelled but we will still be going)

Pending : Approval / Denial Date, Got I551 Stamp, Greencard Received

Employment Authorization Document CIS Office : Chicago National Office; Filing Method : Mail; Filing Instance : First

2007-11-23 = Date Filed (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-21 = Bio. Appt.

2007-12-21 = Touche

2008-02-12 = Card production ordered

2008-02-13 = Touche

2008-02-15 = Approval email

2008-02-19 = Card Received

Nope, we got our interview letter without anything changing online (not even a touche)

HI - we got our interview letter without an email online either (we did receive a touch after the biometrics apt.... but NO actual email has EVER been received from CRIS)

So....still waiting on the EAD but we already have the interview---arghhh

Also, just as an FYI I work with physicians and one of them happens to be a civil surgeon - so I asked him to look over my hubbys immunization record and he told me that my hubby should have the 2nd MMR and the Varicella injection OR blood test to prove immunity to the pox....

We dont want to risk any delays so we are going to go get this done before the interview.

Anyway --- still waiting!!

Malarie

** The black ribbon I display in my display is for my son in law who was killed in Afganistan November 23,2009 **

Timeline

Thanks for all of your replies. My attorney told us to just call the office and make an infopass appointment since he's so busy and it's almost impossible to speak with someone at USCIS, but I called and got all of the info I needed this morning within 10 minutes (and you know how long those automated messages are!).

Malarie-Thanks for the rec! We pulled out his immunization record and are going to go get his shots updated now just in case (Whoops! Should have gone in July!)

Thanks everyone for your help. I wish I would have known about this place way back when. ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

It seesm as though your case should be moving as scheduled if yu have your EAD card. I think is is ridiculouse that your attorney sent the packet to the wrong place, that is unexceptable. I would file a complaint and request partial refund for that error.

As far as case status online, It is not updated daily so don't spend too much time checking it daily. I think A good thing to do now is to schedule an info pass Appt. and find out exactly where your case is and let them know what happened.

Good Luck

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.