master

question about form i 864 affidavit of support

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Here is my situation. I came to poland to meet me girl. Im here, and we decided we want to get married.

My concern is about the affidavit of support. I have been unemployed for a little over a year now, and before that i had never filed any tax returns when i was working.

Its no problem to get a cosponsor who can easily prove income to support us three.

Will my application for her visa be approved if I am unemployed but have a cosponsor who has enough income? On form i-864 it says i need to pick 2 of the 4 options. The only thing I can do is show bank deposits, which are small, but i am currently out of the country so i dont know how i could get these.

Any help is appreciated.

I've read of some cases that have difficulty when the U.S. citizen has no income, even with a co-sponsor.

Yes, you have a co-sponsor but do you have any job opportunities on the horizon? Even something part time is better than nothing.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to the States closer to the interview and get employed, just for future sake. That's what I would be doing.

Someone else may have a better suggestion.

Best of luck to you!!! :)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Here is my situation. I came to poland to meet me girl. Im here, and we decided we want to get married.

My concern is about the affidavit of support. I have been unemployed for a little over a year now, and before that i had never filed any tax returns when i was working.

Its no problem to get a cosponsor who can easily prove income to support us three.

Will my application for her visa be approved if I am unemployed but have a cosponsor who has enough income? On form i-864 it says i need to pick 2 of the 4 options. The only thing I can do is show bank deposits, which are small, but i am currently out of the country so i dont know how i could get these.

Any help is appreciated.

Firstly, You dont provide income support info when you file the I-129F petition to USCIS, you will provide this much later when your fiancee interviews for the K-1 visa. (I am assuming K-1 fiancee since that is the forum you posted this to)

Secondly, You wont be using I-864 for the K-1 visa, I-864 is the GREEN-CARD Affidavit of support. K-Visas use I-134. Later when the K-1 adjusts status in the USA you must provide I-864 to get the green-card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Thanks for the reply. Thats correct, i havent filed a tax return, im 20 years old now. Im sure i could do it for the past years, but for the most recent year it will show 0 income, so would that be a problem during the k1 interview and then again later for the i864 aos? It could be possible for me to get a job when we would get to the states. Would that give enough time to work and file a tax return before i need to file the i864?

At this point i am in poland and theres no way for me to have a job here, i just have enough money to live off saved.

Edited by master

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Thanks for the reply. Thats correct, i havent filed a tax return, im 20 years old now. Im sure i could do it for the past years, but for the most recent year it will show 0 income, so would that be a problem during the k1 interview and then again later for the i864 aos? It could be possible for me to get a job when we would get to the states. Would that give enough time to work and file a tax return before i need to file the i864?

At this point i am in poland and theres no way for me to have a job here, i just have enough money to live off saved.

You will need to provide a letter stating how you were exempt from filing taxes, (Claimed on parent's return, income level was below that needing reporting, etc..) You will note the IRS rules about this.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I was able to gather all the documents for income i made over the last year self employed. It comes to about $8000.

So, I am going to file my taxes as self employed with this income.

Is it very likely that the interview officer will approve the visa with this amount of income along with a co-sponsor who makes $40,000 per year?

Thanks again

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
Forgot to ask...If i file my tax return now, will i receive it back before its time to show this at the interview?

If im right, the first time i will need to show this is the interview.

Have you filed the k1 petition yet? This should be your main concern for right now. Once you have set the off then worry about filing taxes. You will have a good amount of time to work things out.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Forgot to ask...If i file my tax return now, will i receive it back before its time to show this at the interview?

If im right, the first time i will need to show this is the interview.

Have you filed the k1 petition yet? This should be your main concern for right now. Once you have set the off then worry about filing taxes. You will have a good amount of time to work things out.

Im going to send it this week, but my main concern is that it will get approved so we dont waste 1000$ in app fees because i did something wrong.

Is $8000 going to be enough income if im self employed, and have a cosponsor who makes 40k. And will i receive my tax returns before interview date if i start the k1 process this week.

Thanks guys

You wont get the tax return back I think..You neednt to file it when you petition..just use it in interview..

Why would i not get my tax return back? I know i dont need for petition, i am asking if ill likely receive it before my interview or not.

Please someone that has reliable info, let me hear your opinion about this financial deal and tax return deal.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
You wont get the tax return back I think..You neednt to file it when you petition..just use it in interview..

Why would i not get my tax return back? I know i dont need for petition, i am asking if ill likely receive it before my interview or not.

Please someone that has reliable info, let me hear your opinion about this financial deal and tax return deal.

I'm gonna tell you about our K1 experience. My boyfriend never has filed income tax, We used a co-sponsor for my K1 visa and my boyfriend (now my husband) sent an employment letter ("self-employed") and the co-sponsor sign the I-134 we had not problem with K1 visa approval. So, I think that your income tax isn't necessary at this point because you're using a co-sponsor right? When you'll send the AOS is when you must show your income aside you have and co-sponsor. I don't know anything about tax return but I wanted to share you our experience to help you (I think) make a better choice. Good luck.

Edited by malego77

Just wanted to say thanks for responding and ask a follow up question.

Your husband never filed his taxes previously, ever?

Also You said your husband sent an " employment letter ("self-employed") "

Could you explain what exactly this means. What kind of letter did he need to submit. I would like to get an idea what i need to write in this letter. Also When he filled out the i134 - did he have to show his bank account signed by a bank officer showing a last years deposits (thats what the form asks for)

The form also asks about Report of Commercial Rating Concern, was this even needed.

Thanks for your time, i know its a bunch of questions.

Edited by master

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.