LaPrincesa

A little help from the Jamaican K-1ers

29 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Below you can see my timeline with my specific dates. I am concerned because my fiance is in Jamaica on a work permit that expires on June 30, 2008. What are the chances that we will have our interview before then?

If it is not possible, what would you recommend that I do? Any advice on how not necessarily to speed up the process but to relieve my concerns.

Is there anything I can do to prepare? Can I fill out the DS forms with him when I see him in March, although they will not have the barcode? I just want to try and expedite the case on my side since I cannot really count on Immigration, the NVC or the embassy in Jamaica.

Anyone have any contacts in the embassy in Kingston? Or a congressman I can call?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate everyone on this site!!

besos :star: ,

LaPrincesa

*****K-1 Timeline*****

12.14.07 I-129F sent to VSC via FedEx

12.17.07 Delivered to VSC at 11:40 AM signed by A. STANLEY

12.18.07 NOA1 date

12.20.07 Check Cashed!!

12.21.07 Touched

12.26.07 NOA1 hard copy received

02.17.08 NOA2 via email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02.19.08 Touched

02.20.08 Touched

02.21.08 Touched yet again

03.10.08 Case received in Kingston

03.11.08 DS-130 Part 1 turned in

03.17.08 Appointment to pick up Packet 4

03.18.08 Medical Exam

04.01.08 Interview!!!!!-APPROVED APPROVED!

04.22.08 Visa picked up from Airpack Ocho Rios

05.02.08 Go to Jamaica to pick up my love

05.05.08 Arrival to the US (via JFK)

06.07.08 Miami Wedding!

*****AOS TIMELINE*****

06.18.08 Sent packet to Chicago via FedEx

06.20.08 Delivered to Chicago at 12:28PM signed by J. CHYBA

06.24.08 NOA1 Date for EAD, AP and AOS

06.26.08 NOA1 for AOS received in mail

06.27.08 Touched

07.05.08 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

07.24.08 Biometrics Appointment

07.28.08 Request for Initial Evidence

08.01.08 National Benefits Center received Evidence and Case resumed Processing

08.19.08 AOS case transferred to CSC

08.22.08 AP arrived in mail-APPROVED

08.25.08 EAD card arrives in mail (no updates or anything about AP or EAD)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi everyone!

Below you can see my timeline with my specific dates. I am concerned because my fiance is in Jamaica on a work permit that expires on June 30, 2008. What are the chances that we will have our interview before then?

If it is not possible, what would you recommend that I do? Any advice on how not necessarily to speed up the process but to relieve my concerns.

Is there anything I can do to prepare? Can I fill out the DS forms with him when I see him in March, although they will not have the barcode? I just want to try and expedite the case on my side since I cannot really count on Immigration, the NVC or the embassy in Jamaica.

Anyone have any contacts in the embassy in Kingston? Or a congressman I can call?

LaPrincesa

There is a chance he will get through the embassy in 6 months. Probably fairly slim at this point. But, still there. The JA embassy is competent; but typically slow and hard to deal with. Getting all your ducks in a row and making sure everything is complete and filed in order is really the only way to deal with them. There are few shortcuts. As far as I know, no one knows anyone who works at the embassy who can speed things. And, congressmen aren't really appropriate unless major problems.

Yes, you can download, fill and print every single form he will need and take them to him to sign. We all do/have done that.

He will need a police record, a non-impediment form, passport photos, shots maybe, and all that stuff.....he can start gathering all that now.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Hi everyone!

LaPrincesa

There is a chance he will get through the embassy in 6 months. Probably fairly slim at this point. But, still there. The JA embassy is competent; but typically slow and hard to deal with. Getting all your ducks in a row and making sure everything is complete and filed in order is really the only way to deal with them. There are few shortcuts. As far as I know, no one knows anyone who works at the embassy who can speed things. And, congressmen aren't really appropriate unless major problems.

Yes, you can download, fill and print every single form he will need and take them to him to sign. We all do/have done that.

He will need a police record, a non-impediment form, passport photos, shots maybe, and all that stuff.....he can start gathering all that now.

Can he get a police report now or does it expire? What is a non-impediment form and where do I find all this?

Is there a checklist for Kingston somewhere for the interview?

If I fill out the DS forms with him, may we submit those instead of the ones with the barcode or whatever?

*****K-1 Timeline*****

12.18.07 NOA1 date

12.20.07 Check Cashed!!

12.21.07 Touched

02.19.08 Touched

02.20.08 Touched

03.18.08 Medical Exam

06.07.08 Miami Wedding!

*****AOS TIMELINE*****

06.27.08 Touched

Timeline
Hi everyone!

LaPrincesa

Can he get a police report now or does it expire? What is a non-impediment form and where do I find all this?

If I fill out the DS forms with him, may we submit those instead of the ones with the barcode or whatever?

The police report is good for one year. He can go get it. He has to go to Kingston for that. He needs 2 passport photos for it.

The non-impediment form states he is free to marry. He can get it anywhere he can get a birth certificate in the city he lives.

Check out the different forums on this site....there is one specifically set up for what you will need at the embassy.

Nope.....you need a barcode. You can download one with a barcode and then get it to him.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi everyone!

LaPrincesa

The police report is good for one year. He can go get it. He has to go to Kingston for that. He needs 2 passport photos for it.

The non-impediment form states he is free to marry. He can get it anywhere he can get a birth certificate in the city he lives.

Check out the different forums on this site....there is one specifically set up for what you will need at the embassy.

Nope.....you need a barcode. You can download one with a barcode and then get it to him.

JG, I thought the police record was good for 3 months...I'll check. I am also concerned how is the JA government going to be able to issue non-impediment to marriage forms and a police record on someone that is only in the country temporarily? I guess they could say that since he is in JA he hasn't gotten into trouble or married anyone but will that suffice for the embassy.

La Princessa, he is only working in JA. He is NOT a JA. citizen is he?? What was the original address you gave for your fiance in your 129F petition? Not specific details but was it JA. or DR??

Bless-ed,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

I have a non-impediment form from the DR, so I guess I will just give him that to submit. I hope that is ok since he is not a JA resident.

The address on the petition is his JA address and I also sent a copy of his work permit with the I-129F. Before I sent in the I-129F I emailed the JA embassy and they said they would be the embassy to interview us since he is currently living there. So I think we should be ok.

He got a police report last August from Kingston, so I know they are able to produce a police report even though he is not a JA resident. I am going to get a police report from the DR just in case as well, so we will have both! If you get an answer about the police report expiration time, let me know!

Also, is there a link to the forum topic with the checklist for Kingston interviews somewhere? I am having difficulty finding it!

THANKS!

LaPrincesa

*****K-1 Timeline*****

12.18.07 NOA1 date

12.20.07 Check Cashed!!

12.21.07 Touched

02.19.08 Touched

02.20.08 Touched

03.18.08 Medical Exam

06.07.08 Miami Wedding!

*****AOS TIMELINE*****

06.27.08 Touched

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok I am a little confused...how can he file for a K-1 through Kingston if he isn't a resident/citizen of JA? Won't the file be sent to the DR and he would have to interview and process through there? I think if it were possible to process your application somewhere other than your place of residency than tons of people would be flying to caribbean countries that are easier to get through to process a visa. Know what I mean?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Also the DR is notoriously hard to get through so I can't imagine that it would be that easy to skirt the process. Get a work visa to JA to then process your K1 through there so you don't have to wait for the DR. I don't know I could be wrong but I have a feeling they can't process your application through Kingston.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I guess he can get the police cert from Kingston b/c it is a place he has resided..It says send a police cert for any place u lived for at least since months since 16.

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

Didn't realize he wasn't actually a JA citizen.

Yes, if he's been in JA for 6 months or more at anytime since he was 16, he needs a police report. Ours was good for a year.

I don't know about the whole home country part. I do know people residing in other countries beside their home, do go through that embassy. Not sure on the rules, though.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

doesn't he have to declare residency or something like that ? cause would it much dif than if someone came here on a visa and get filed for while here ?

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

I did a little investigating. And, yes, I think he has to either file through the DR or be eligible for residency in JA to file in JA.

I think you are going to get kicked back to the DR.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Dosen't the Ja embassy cover the DR? I thought I say it somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm gonna check it out.

From what I could find (which was limited), the DR has it's own embassy in Santa Domingo.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
doesn't he have to declare residency or something like that ? cause would it much dif than if someone came here on a visa and get filed for while here ?

Poor Princess came to us for answers and we are giving her more questions!! :lol::lol::lol:

La Prinny...I would do this wait for your 129f to be approved! At either embassy you will have more than enough time to get the Pol Rec & non-imped. Once the 129f goes to the NVC you will have a definitive answer as to which embassy they are sending it too. I think b/c you gave the JA add it WILL be JA. However, have ALL your ducks in a row and get documentation from both countries JA & DR(which it sounds like you are doing). Once the embassy has it you can call a # in DC and they will answer ALL you questions regarding interview.

The number is (write this down and keep it somewhere safe)...202.663.1225. You could try to call them now. But they may not help you because your 129f hasn't been approved yet. But hey, nothing ventured...nothing gained!!

Please feel free to link any of us again either through PM or on our Yardie thread

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97038

Bless-ed love,

Gill

Edited by Deyoungting

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.