Melyssa

What happens to the medical anyway?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I called around today and so far, no one has been able to help. The doctor in Canada can't release the information but the person who was spoken with seemed sympathetic and thought it was ridiculous that they were wanting me to do the whole exam over again to satisfy the AOS RFE requirement. I'm not 100% sure but I think they can't release it because it is considered "Property of the US government" and they would have to release it if the USCIS asked for it. (Why does USCIS ask me to get a whole new medical instead of just asking me who the doctor was who did the exam and just try to track the doctor down and get the paperwork from there?! They have got to know that the exam was good enough for me to be able to enter on a K1, and asking someone to pay a whole new set of fees and go through a whole medical again due to the error on their just part seems completely unacceptable... especially if it seems like this has been happening often lately!)

I called USCIS which was useless. The guy I finally spoke with after all the automated messages were finally over said "Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to track down a medical." I know that's not true otherwise some of you who contacted your congressman would have proved unsuccessful!

I called my congressman's office twice and spoke with two very friendly people, but did not get to speak with the people who deal with visas either time. One lady is on vacation until Monday and the other lady was either busy or on the phone both times I called, and again when my husband tried calling later. Hopefully we will be able to try again tomorrow.

We are planning on seeing if the CS would be able to transcribe my medical and how much he would charge, and looking around for the cheapest CS in the case that I do have to get my medical done again.

Hopefully, though, we will finally be able to get ahold of our congressman people, and hopefully they will be able to help. The people I spoke with did seem friendly enough, at least.

I am also planning on trying to find out how to contact the POE we crossed and seeing if I can find out from them either WHERE they sent my medical, or if they might even still have it. We realized we weren't quite sure if the people we handed over my visa papers to really knew what they were doing. All we know is that those papers have got to be somewhere.

Onto what I'm wondering about: Does anyone know what exactly is supposed to happen to the medical and other such papers after it is handed over at the border (POE)? (That is definitely the last WE saw of it.) Are they supposed to send it to, say, the Chicago Lockbox office, and the officials there are supposed to connect the case together with the i-485? How does this stuff NOT get lost? Between Canadians not being able to easily get EAD stamps at the border, and medicals being misplaced by officials, and the long wait on the Montreal Consulate... I am a little frustrated with this system! We are supposed to be allies ;)

I noticed that another person this has happened to was able to get her husband's AP expedited and I am wondering if we might be able to do that too? (I noticed that USCIS error is listed as one of the reasons for being able to have your paperwork expedited.) I'm just not sure if it will be worth it as I may be getting AP and EAD finally next month anyway. and it looks like we'd have to make an infopass appointment or something.

Edited by Melyssa

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it the entire medical that you got RFE'd on or is it just the vaccination supplement that USCIS wants?

When you hand in the medical at the border they are supposed to send it in to USCIS, I don't know what address exactly that they send it to.

Good luck on getting this sorted out.

Timeline
Is it the entire medical that you got RFE'd on or is it just the vaccination supplement that USCIS wants?

When you hand in the medical at the border they are supposed to send it in to USCIS, I don't know what address exactly that they send it to.

The RFE is for the entire medical, even though they recognize I had it done and am not supposed to have to get it done again as it's not yet a year old - they don't know where it is, so they want me to get it done again! :( They have the supplement.

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline

The RFE is for the entire medical, even though they recognize I had it done and am not supposed to have to get it done again as it's not yet a year old - they don't know where it is, so they want me to get it done again! :( They have the supplement.

Hmm this has me worried as well. I remember when we entered the POE the officer said the Medical was sent to our local office, in this case in Fairfax, VA. So I guess my only advice would be get a infopass appointment and see if the medical is at your local office and if it is, can the forward it to california?

Timeline

Hmm this has me worried as well. I remember when we entered the POE the officer said the Medical was sent to our local office, in this case in Fairfax, VA. So I guess my only advice would be get a infopass appointment and see if the medical is at your local office and if it is, can the forward it to california?

Hmm that's an idea... I wish I had thought to ask them where my stuff was going... I thought it just stayed at the border back then, for some reason, although I had no idea why. I thought maybe they'd send it to the local office but that seemed impossible since I had no idea how they would know where our local office was... but maybe they did based on my husband's address and I just don't know it.

Thanks! I'll have to look into making an appointment.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I called around today and so far, no one has been able to help. The doctor in Canada can't release the information but the person who was spoken with seemed sympathetic and thought it was ridiculous that they were wanting me to do the whole exam over again to satisfy the AOS RFE requirement. I'm not 100% sure but I think they can't release it because it is considered "Property of the US government" and they would have to release it if the USCIS asked for it. (Why does USCIS ask me to get a whole new medical instead of just asking me who the doctor was who did the exam and just try to track the doctor down and get the paperwork from there?! They have got to know that the exam was good enough for me to be able to enter on a K1, and asking someone to pay a whole new set of fees and go through a whole medical again due to the error on their just part seems completely unacceptable... especially if it seems like this has been happening often lately!)

I called USCIS which was useless. The guy I finally spoke with after all the automated messages were finally over said "Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to track down a medical." I know that's not true otherwise some of you who contacted your congressman would have proved unsuccessful!

I called my congressman's office twice and spoke with two very friendly people, but did not get to speak with the people who deal with visas either time. One lady is on vacation until Monday and the other lady was either busy or on the phone both times I called, and again when my husband tried calling later. Hopefully we will be able to try again tomorrow.

We are planning on seeing if the CS would be able to transcribe my medical and how much he would charge, and looking around for the cheapest CS in the case that I do have to get my medical done again.

Hopefully, though, we will finally be able to get ahold of our congressman people, and hopefully they will be able to help. The people I spoke with did seem friendly enough, at least.

I am also planning on trying to find out how to contact the POE we crossed and seeing if I can find out from them either WHERE they sent my medical, or if they might even still have it. We realized we weren't quite sure if the people we handed over my visa papers to really knew what they were doing. All we know is that those papers have got to be somewhere.

Onto what I'm wondering about: Does anyone know what exactly is supposed to happen to the medical and other such papers after it is handed over at the border (POE)? (That is definitely the last WE saw of it.) Are they supposed to send it to, say, the Chicago Lockbox office, and the officials there are supposed to connect the case together with the i-485? How does this stuff NOT get lost? Between Canadians not being able to easily get EAD stamps at the border, and medicals being misplaced by officials, and the long wait on the Montreal Consulate... I am a little frustrated with this system! We are supposed to be allies ;)

I noticed that another person this has happened to was able to get her husband's AP expedited and I am wondering if we might be able to do that too? (I noticed that USCIS error is listed as one of the reasons for being able to have your paperwork expedited.) I'm just not sure if it will be worth it as I may be getting AP and EAD finally next month anyway. and it looks like we'd have to make an infopass appointment or something.

Hi Melyssa,,, just a suggestion in order for you to speed up with your RFE reply, maybe the best thing to do is, try to look for a civil surgeon in your place who offers a package deal for the entire medical + td shots. I was able to avail $100 package of whole medical + td shots, you just have to bring with you the x-ray film (proof that you underwent x-ray) & vaccination record (supplement form) because they will transfer your vaccination record to supplement A form and will be given to you in a sealed envelop.

I dont actually need to re-do my medical, should have done the td shots only but i overlooked this,

i mistakenly read some guidelines not for K3 AOS but anyways, its just fine because i was able to avail a cheap 100 bucks package, update my health status and they're able to know that medical in my country is reliable.

God bless you!

I-751 timeline

3/05/10 - mailed I-751 packet

3/12/10 - arrived at CSC

3/16/10 - online status, NOA mailed but no mail received

3/18/10 - Check cashed

4/15/10 - biometric appointment (notice recv'd in mail - 4/01/10)

4/16/10 - touched

4/18/10 - I-485 & EAD touched????

5/03/10 - Card production ordered

5/11/10 - letter of Approval received in the mail

5/26/10 - email received "letter of Approval" sent in the mail... not yet received till now 6/8/10

7/07/10 - called USCIS why green card has not received yet

7/09/10 - email from USCIS stating that they already sent the GC on May 25th and undeliverable,

adviced to apply for I-90 as it might have been lost in mail

7/25/10 - mailed application for I-90 (replacement of lost or stolen card)

9/16/10 - biometric appointment

9/20/10 - touched

9/21/10 - touched

ISAIAH 40:31

"but those who HOPE in the Lord will renew their strength,

they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint"

[/color]

try this link..

http://rinnahannah.multiply.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline

OH I forgot one tidbit about my experience. When we were at BWI they offered to give us the sealed medical to take to Fairfax ourselves if we wanted! Can you believe that?!?!?! I said no thanks, you guys mail it for me.

Timeline
OH I forgot one tidbit about my experience. When we were at BWI they offered to give us the sealed medical to take to Fairfax ourselves if we wanted! Can you believe that?!?!?! I said no thanks, you guys mail it for me.

Wow! I almost wish they had done that because then at least ours probably wouldn't be lost! ;-) I'm starting to wonder if it's only misplaced because they transferred my i-485 without making sure to transfer the other stuff too. So maybe it is in our local field office... but who knows :( !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.