bradcanuck

Social Applied for Before Green Card

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have called USCIS and SSA and both have been no help. I received my SSN yesterday but it has restrictions on it. It states it can only be used for employment purposes and any employer has to check with DHS to make sure it is valid.

If I take my greencard to the SSA office, can they clear the restrictions? I don't think this can be used for anything I need like bank accounts, health insurance, etc. Let me know if anyone has experienced this before.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

You are not understanding the restriction. The SSN is valid for everything EXCEPT work unless accompanied by documentation authorizing you to work (EAD or GC)

Yes, you can have the restriction removed using your permanent residence card.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no way. Okay thank you. Wow that was an insanely fast reply. Cheers!

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline
I have called USCIS and SSA and both have been no help. I received my SSN yesterday but it has restrictions on it. It states it can only be used for employment purposes and any employer has to check with DHS to make sure it is valid.

If I take my greencard to the SSA office, can they clear the restrictions? I don't think this can be used for anything I need like bank accounts, health insurance, etc. Let me know if anyone has experienced this before.

The restriction on the SSN card only means you can't use the card as proof of authorization to work. It does not otherwise affect the card or number.

For about the millionth time, don't give them your old SSN card until you receive the new one. You don't have to give it up no matter what the SSA office says.

RM 00201.080 Field Office (FO) Disposal of Returned Social Security Number (SSN) Cards:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060210014436/.../lnx/0100201080

2. Card Returned With Request For Replacement Card or New SSN

If the applicant has a card and requests a replacement card (duplicate or corrected) or a new SSN:

-- Ask the applicant to return the old SSN card. (If the applicant does not have the card with him or her, remind the applicant to return the old card to SSA for destruction or to keep the old card in a secure place [not in a wallet or purse]).

NOTE: Do not forcefully confiscate the SSN card if the applicant refuses to relinquish it. Similarly, return the old SSN card if the applicant requests that it be given back.

I got my GC one day, took it to SSN the next, had a new SSN in my married name with no restrictions a week later. They didn't want or take my old one. Just had to show it.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Thank you. I tried to open a bank account today and the number came back invalid. So either they haven't updated it yet or I need to get the restrictions removed.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

Bank denied. Tried JC Penney, denied. Tried to get a free credit report - DENIED.

Looks like my number doesn't exist with any credit agencies and I've had no luck trying to find out how to get it added.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline
Bank denied. Tried JC Penney, denied. Tried to get a free credit report - DENIED.

Looks like my number doesn't exist with any credit agencies and I've had no luck trying to find out how to get it added.

Geez!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear that i'm not the only one! I thought that they had messed up my thing but since you have the same problem I think it's cos we're not officially permanent residents yet! If any one can tell us why this is happening ... please do!

K-1 Visa Service Center : California Service Center ; Consulate : Belgium

2007-04-18 = I-129F Sent

2007-05-14 = I-129F NOA1

2007-08-10 = I-129F NOA2

2007-09-17 = Consulate Received

2007-09-18 = Packet 3 Received

2007-09-19 = Packet 3 Sent

2007-09-19 = Packet 4 Received

2007-09-24 = Interview Date

2007-09-24 = Visa Received

2007-09-28 = US Entry

2007-11-10 = Marriage

Processing Estimates/Stats : I-129f was approved in 114 days from your filing date. Interview took 159 days from your I-129F filing date.

Adjustment of Status CIS Office : Las Vegas NV

2007-11-23 = Date Filed at Chicago lockbox (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-07 = RFE(s) IRS tax forms

2007-12-21 = Biometrics Appt.

2007-12-23 = Met with an immigration lawyer who told us how to prove income without IRS tax forms

2008-01-10 = NOA reciept of RFE at Lee's Summit, case processing resumed

2008-03-24 = Interview Date (cancelled but we will still be going)

Pending : Approval / Denial Date, Got I551 Stamp, Greencard Received

Employment Authorization Document CIS Office : Chicago National Office; Filing Method : Mail; Filing Instance : First

2007-11-23 = Date Filed (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-21 = Bio. Appt.

2007-12-21 = Touche

2008-02-12 = Card production ordered

2008-02-13 = Touche

2008-02-15 = Approval email

2008-02-19 = Card Received

With the GC you can have the restriction removed

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You just recieved your SSN a few days ago, that's probably why.

We had all kinds of problems with the power company when my husband got his SSN - and they were exceptionally rude about it, asking if it was a fake card, if he stole someone else's SSN. I got on the phone and tore them a new one.

He couldn't even get a Walmart store card at first. :lol: but then he went and talked to someone at Bank of America who had helped our friend get a credit card, and he got one...which they just raised the limit to 1500 on.

However, we had opened a bank account before the power company situation and the bank (actually, credit union) was able to pull his report and see that he didn't have one.

Geez!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear that i'm not the only one! I thought that they had messed up my thing but since you have the same problem I think it's cos we're not officially permanent residents yet! If any one can tell us why this is happening ... please do!

Brad and my husband are/were permanent residents when they were having issues.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

well i actually have had my SSN for nearly 2 months now and the power company wasn't even able to make an indentity match. I'll go into the SS office next week and let you all know what they say. They know me there already as I visited the office 2 times a week for 2 months due to some moron putting me into the SAVE system as a B1 instead of a K1 when I entered in Colorado. Oh yeah ... for all those ABOUT to enter the US... just double check the handwriting of the immigration officer at your POE as if they have a habit of writing very curly K's this might happen to you too believe me .. it's practically impossible to change it once it's put in incorrectly in the SAVE system.

K-1 Visa Service Center : California Service Center ; Consulate : Belgium

2007-04-18 = I-129F Sent

2007-05-14 = I-129F NOA1

2007-08-10 = I-129F NOA2

2007-09-17 = Consulate Received

2007-09-18 = Packet 3 Received

2007-09-19 = Packet 3 Sent

2007-09-19 = Packet 4 Received

2007-09-24 = Interview Date

2007-09-24 = Visa Received

2007-09-28 = US Entry

2007-11-10 = Marriage

Processing Estimates/Stats : I-129f was approved in 114 days from your filing date. Interview took 159 days from your I-129F filing date.

Adjustment of Status CIS Office : Las Vegas NV

2007-11-23 = Date Filed at Chicago lockbox (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-07 = RFE(s) IRS tax forms

2007-12-21 = Biometrics Appt.

2007-12-23 = Met with an immigration lawyer who told us how to prove income without IRS tax forms

2008-01-10 = NOA reciept of RFE at Lee's Summit, case processing resumed

2008-03-24 = Interview Date (cancelled but we will still be going)

Pending : Approval / Denial Date, Got I551 Stamp, Greencard Received

Employment Authorization Document CIS Office : Chicago National Office; Filing Method : Mail; Filing Instance : First

2007-11-23 = Date Filed (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-21 = Bio. Appt.

2007-12-21 = Touche

2008-02-12 = Card production ordered

2008-02-13 = Touche

2008-02-15 = Approval email

2008-02-19 = Card Received

Thank you. I tried to open a bank account today and the number came back invalid. So either they haven't updated it yet or I need to get the restrictions removed.

When I first got my SSN, I wasn't able to open my bank acct b/c they hadn't gotten the updates of new numbers from SSA. You will have to wait about a month before trying to open major accounts, credit cards, etc. It's annoying, but I just had to wait it out.

10/6/06 -- Got Married!!

-----------------------------

7/15/07 -- Sent I130, I485, I765

7/17/07 -- Applications ALL received by USCIS

8/8/07 -- Notice on website saying my notices were sent back as undeliverable

8/11/07 -- Assigned date for biometrics but MISSED it (oh noo)

8/17/07 -- Walked in and was allowed to take biometric (whew!)

8/24/07 -- Lawyer gives me notices for RFE

10/01/07 -- USCIS received RFE. Cases resumed

10/09/07 -- EAD Approval email (YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!)

10/11/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered (Double YAY)

10/16/07 -- EAD Card Mailed

10/22/07 -- EAD Card ARRIVED!!! SO ECSTATIC!!!

10/29/07 -- Soc Sec. Card issued

1/14/2008 -- INTERVIEW APPROVED!!!!!!

What we have been doing is adding my husband's name to my accounts rather than trying to open credit solely in his name. With the electric, I just called up and added him so that both our names are on the account. I even added him as a secondary card holder to my chase credit card account way before we ever had a SSN. Same with AMEX. They don't need it for a secondary card holder. The bank was also no issue. We didn't have the SSN right away and they said bring it in when you have, but again, I was simply adding him and not opening his own.

I know it varies by state, but I found this route much more successful than trying to establish items in his name only. Now that his credit will be established with the help of my own credit, it should be much easier to get things in his name.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: Timeline

SSN

Area Group Serial (AAA-GG-SSSS)

SSA puts out a High Group list that lists the highest Group that has been assigned within each SSN Area. Either your SSN has been assigned from a Group within your SSN Area that has just started to be used or these people are using an old list to verify your SSN. See if yours is on the 01/2008 list with an * next to it. If it is they are using an old list. If it's not there hopefully, it will be on the next list, which will probably come out next month.

January 2008:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/highgroup.txt

Links to the other lists:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnvhighgroup.htm

The Social Security number consists of nine (9) digits. The first three (3) digits denote the area (or State) where the application for an original Social Security number was filed.

Within each area, the group number (middle two (2) digits) range from 01 to 99 but are not assigned in consecutive order. For administrative reasons, group numbers issued first consist of the ODD numbers from 01 through 09 and then EVEN numbers from 10 through 98, within each area number allocated to a State. After all numbers in group 98 of a particular area have been issued, the EVEN Groups 02 through 08 are used, followed by ODD Groups 11 through 99.

Within each group, the serial numbers (last four (4) digits) run consecutively from 0001 through 9999.

SSN - Order of Issuance:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnweb.htm

Not sure if it will do you any good, but SSA offices can give you an SSN Verification Printout, which will verify your SSN and the name on that record.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202320

RM 00202.320 Issuing Numidents and SSN Verification Printouts

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.