Eternal Love

Did you buy your ticket before or after the interview?

85 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will be attending Joy's interview, so I bought a round trip ticket for me. About 2 weeks ago, I purchased a one-way ticket for Joy on the same flight as my return so we can travel back to the US together a week after the interview.

Yes, I am gambling that the embassy will approve the visa and allow us to pick it up in time for Joy to make the scheduled flight. It is, however, a calculated risk. If I wait until we have Joy's visa in hand, I may not be able to get her on the same flight as me, or the price may be prohibitive. So, we are rolling the dice. ;)

Marc

u]TIMELINE[/u]

Fiancee Visa

May 25 thru June 2, 2007- Marc and Joy meet and spend time in person in Davao, Philippines

June 12, 2007- I-129F mailed to TSC

June 25, 2007- Check cashed

June 25, 2007- NOA1 Receipt date (at CSC)

July 6. 2007- NOA1 hard copy received from CSC

November 6, 2007- NOA2 (Notice date, per website) YES!!!

November 9, 2007- NOA2 Hard copy received

November 29, 2007- Received NVC letter

December 3, 2007- I-129F package received by embassy

Jan. 15-16, 2008 - Early medical at St. Luke's

January 30, 2008- Medical appointment date

February 7, 2008- Embassy interview date

February 11, 2008 - Pick up visa at embassy

February 15, 2008 - Joy and I fly to US together

AOS

March 17, 2008 - Joy and I are married! (YES!!!)

March 18, 2008 - I-485 and I-765 mailed to Chicago

April 2, 2008 - Receipt date for I-485 and I-765

April 24, 2008 - Biometrics appointment

April 24, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California Service Center

May 2, 2008 - Received notice of transfer to CSC

May 18, 2008 - I-485 touched

June 4, 2008 - Received CRIS e-mail: EAD card production ordered

June 9, 2008 - Received 2nd Notice from CRIS: EAD card production ordered

June 11, 2008 - Received 3rd Notice from CRIS: EAD card production ordered

June 14, 2008 - Received EAD card in mail

July 22, 2008 - Received CRIS e-mail: Letter mailed welcoming new permanent resident

July 26, 2008 - Received letter weloming new permanent residence in mail

July 28, 2008 - Green Card received in mail!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Most people wait until they're actually approved. Most also wait until the visa is in hand.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Although USEM's guidelines said not to finalize travel unless applicant have their visa.... my husband bought the ticket before my interview, so we can travel together. We were pushing our luck then... I received my visa Friday at 1PM, went to CFO for the stamp at 3PM since Monday will be a holiday and our flight will be on Tuesday... and we made it. But it is really not advisable because there are some things that can happen during the interview, better to buy the ticket when you have the visa at hand.

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

i had my interview in dec. 27 (got approved), got my visa in jan 3 and i texted my husband about the great news. later did i know he bought the ticket right away after he got the msg. which we could have had get a better deal if he waited for me to check some deals in our local phil agent. but guess he was so excited and he's been looking for great deals/dates to travel even before hand in the internet so made it as a surprise when i checked my email and saw the flight sked :D ... GOOD LUCK!!!

GOD BLESS!!!

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

;) I just want to survey how many purchased airline tickets/bookings before/after actually passing the interview? We are about to purchase and I want to know YOUR experience/s?

:P Is it worth it to buy before passing the interview (worst come to worst, we can pay the $50 to rebook the flight)?

or wait after the interview (but our target date for him to be here is Feb 15, his interview is Feb 7th! It would be too expensive to buy after the interview because it is s close to the flight date)?

I purchased my honey's return ticket back with me, our return flight is 2 weeks after her interview. Hopefully, with God's help, things will go well. If not, I just lose $50 cancellation fee.

Edited by Tanjay

I don't think I will even celebrate if my wife gets approve..

Not with the VISA in Hand..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

We bought Mir's ticket after her visa was already delivered and in hand. Did not want to risk it. I sent her the money and she bought it there because it was about $150 dollars cheaper. She said that she was even asked to bring her visa (to make a copy) by the ticket agent that sold her the PAL ticket. Not sure that part would happen if I bought it here for her though.

Another point is that for the Philippines, they are now doing an additional document check with NSO prior to issuing the visa that has delayed some people. This is new and only adds another layer of government that can slow things down. One government agency is enough. Now there are two having to work together in a timely manner. Good luck! I say buy it after or you are taking a big risk.

Scott

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Our interview is Wednesday (I AM SO SCARED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and he won't buy a ticket until the visa is in hand. We have looked at prices and dates of when he plans to come, but that's all so far. Definitely not jumping the gun.

Jennifer :)

OUR VISA JOURNEY

12/16/05 My honey and I met online

04/27/06 to 5/14/07 We met for the first time in person

10/16/06 to 1/15/07 He visits for a second time

04/04/07 We get engaged!

05/29/07 K1 Application arrived at CSC

07/21/07 to 9/15/07 He visits for a third time

09/19/07 APPROVAL from CSC

11/16/07 NVC received petition

Petition is put under Administrative Processing

12/28/07 AP DONE! YAY! Off to the Consulate!

01/02/08 Consulate received and packet 3 sent

01/04/08 My honey gets packet 3

01/09/08 Medical Appointment *PASSED*

01/09/08 Packet 3 Returned

01/23/08 8:30 AM INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!!!!

01/23/08 Placed BACK on Administrative Processing (221g)

02/01/08 WE WERE APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

02/06/08 VISA arrives!!!!!!!

04/01/08 My honey arrives in the US!

WEDDING DATE: 04/27/08!

AOS:

05/22/08 Package sent

06/02/08 Got all 3 NOA's

6/21/08 Biometrics

7/12/08 RFE: want 12 months of bank statements

7/16/08 mailed statements

7/22/08 statements received

10/10/08 AP received

10/15/08 Work Permit received

1/24/09 Green Card Received

my hubby booked a ticket with date for me but didn't pay yet until am done with my interview.. coz abviously, we must wait first for the result but not expecting of such unwanted circumstances that may arise. :yes:

I-130 PETITION

May-11-07 Mailed I-130 to CSC

Sept-14-07 I-130 APPROVED!!!!..after 100 days!

NVC Process

09-24-07 NVC rec'd case/assigned number

10-08-07 DS-3032/AOS fee bill generated

10-14-07 AOS bill payment mailed from Philippines

10-15-07 e-mailed DS-3032 to NVC

10-25-07 DS-3032 entered in the system

10-29-07 IV fee bill generated

10-31-07 AOS Fee Bill processed

11-05-07 I-864 generated

11-27-07 I-864 Received

11-26-07 I-864 Mailed to NVC

11-10-07 Received IV Fee Bill

11-13-07 Paid IV Fee Bill

11-19-07 IV Bill accepted

11-26-07 DS-230 generated

12-07-07 DS-230 Received

12-10-07 DS-230 Sent to NVC

01-04-08 NVC CASE COMPLETE

USEM

02-14-2008 INTERVIEW IN USEManila (6:30am!!!)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

AFTER.......too many things can go wrong.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

my hubby booked a ticket with date for me but didn't pay yet until am done with my interview.. coz abviously, we must wait first for the result but not expecting of such unwanted circumstances that may arise. :yes:

Good Luck on that.. Doesn't the Booking only last 2 weeks? If not paid for you will need to rebook again?

I have canceled my wife and daughter's booking... It is just plain too risky... I don't want to re-schedule 3 flights if we don't get my wife's Visa on time..

We will just take this process step by step..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

Oh come on you bunch of chickens...LOL Just kidding you all. I'm a gambler. I bought her one way ticket shortly after I learned of her interview date. During the interview, which I attended, we asked that she was allowed to pick up the visa in person. Our wish was granted but no promises were made on the date. Her interview was on a Friday, so after the interview we flew to Samar that Saturday for a celebration espidida (spelling?). We received a call or text on Wednesday or Thursday I can't remember, that her visa was ready for pickup. We flew back to Manila and picked up her visa and then stayed in Phils until the next Wednesday I think.

It was a gamble and a little nerve racking waiting to be contacted about the pickup but in the end it was worth it because I was able to attend the interview and we were able to fly back together. That was July 2007. I'm not sure if a lot of people are doing it that way now or not.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Our case was fairly simple with no kids involved.

Kev n Jena

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Oh come on you bunch of chickens...LOL Just kidding you all. I'm a gambler. I bought her one way ticket shortly after I learned of her interview date. During the interview, which I attended, we asked that she was allowed to pick up the visa in person. Our wish was granted but no promises were made on the date. Her interview was on a Friday, so after the interview we flew to Samar that Saturday for a celebration espidida (spelling?). We received a call or text on Wednesday or Thursday I can't remember, that her visa was ready for pickup. We flew back to Manila and picked up her visa and then stayed in Phils until the next Wednesday I think.

It was a gamble and a little nerve racking waiting to be contacted about the pickup but in the end it was worth it because I was able to attend the interview and we were able to fly back together. That was July 2007. I'm not sure if a lot of people are doing it that way now or not.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Our case was fairly simple with no kids involved.

Kev n Jena

Yeah.. If things didn't turn out the right way for you, you would have been crying here in VJ and ranting on USEM Manila's incompetence.. :D

IR-1 Visa for Wife

Kev n Jena

Yeah.. If things didn't turn out the right way for you, you would have been crying here in VJ and ranting on USEM Manila's incompetence.. :D

hmmm.....do I rant a lot?

Kev n Jena

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

The only "rant" that comes to mind is one time I posted something about an email from from USCIS after the fact and I'm not even sure if that would qualify as a rant. Oh well......I really try to avoid it. :innocent:

Kev n Jena

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.