honeybear

how much does western union charge?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm not familiar with xoom, in the provinces, where would a person go to collect the money? Are there booths like the western union?

Xoom has hundreds of payout locations. You can either get the money at SM malls' ForEx, Banco de Oro or Cebuana Lhuillier outlets. You can even have the money delivered to the recipient's address or use bank to bank transaction. Check their website www.xoom.com and see for yourself.

--Mae

Thank You

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks for the inputs everyone! :D :D :D

very very helpful everyone!!!

God bless!!!

08/24/06 - we met thru his cousin who was my co-worker

04/18/07 - my honey asked me to marry him and i said yes! we're ENGAGED!

05/28/07 - my honey sent the petition to USCIS

06/08/07 - USCIS recieved (on-line)

09/25/07 - hard copy of NOA1 received thru mail

10/15/07 - process for the petition was taking long so he decided to go back to the PI

10/22/07 - NOA2 approved (on-line)

11/08/07 - honey had to leave me again to go back to hawaii

12/10/07 - i was assigned an interview date (2/7/08) and PE date (1/30/07)

01/02/08 - Received PACKET 4!!!!!!

01/04/08 - 1st Day Early Medical at SLEC

01/07/08 - 2nd Day Early Medical at SLEC - PASSED!!!

01/30/08 - Scheduled Medical accdg to packet

02/06/08 - Interview at the USEM 7:30AM - APPROVED!!!!

02/12/08 - US Embassy called for visa pick-up

02/14/08 - Visa on hand YEY!!!!WOHOOOO!!!!!

02/16/08 - 3:30pm Flight to HNL, Hawaii

02/21/08 - Civil Wedding

AOS

4/20/08 - Received SSN

4/23/08 - NOA

4/25/08- ASC Appointment Notice

5/22/08 - Biometrics in HNL

7/30/08 - Interview (APPROVED)

8/11/08 - Green Card Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

if we have time i use paypal too. my Asawa has a debit card from them at only costs the atm fee however it usually takes 4 days to transfer the money into the account

Be like me.. FOR FREE..

Asked for a duplicate of your debit card from your bank.. Send it to your spouse.

You put some money on your account, and she can just withdraw them.. Anywhere there is ATM that accepts VISA or MASTERCARD..

Otherwise I use xoom.com

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

I got a credit card with my baby's name on it. That is only around $5 when she pulls money and the exchange rate is very good too :)

my fiance is planning on sending me cash but he isnt sure how much would he be charged for sending me cash...Does anyone know?

thanks in advance!!!

Everytime I send $500 to my honey, Western Union charges me $51 fee. I have become their good friend now. :(

my fiance is planning on sending me cash but he isnt sure how much would he be charged for sending me cash...Does anyone know?

thanks in advance!!!

Everytime I send $500 to my honey, Western Union charges me $51 fee. I have become their good friend now. :(

A partner hehehe

You people using Western union are simply wasting your money, really! :rolleyes:

I-130 PETITION

May-11-07 Mailed I-130 to CSC

Sept-14-07 I-130 APPROVED!!!!..after 100 days!

NVC Process

Sept-24-07 NVC rec'd case/assigned number

Jan-04-08 NVC CASE COMPLETE

USEM

Feb-14-2008 INTERVIEW IN USEManila APPROVED!!!

Feb-19-2008 Visa in HAND!! Wohoo!!!

IN TEXAS

Feb-28-2008 POE DFW

Mar-24-2008 Receive Green Card on Mail..

REMOVING CONDITIONS NOV..

Jan-11-2010 Mailed I-175 to VSC

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks in advance!!!

I opened a joint account with Washington Mutual. They opened it in my Lai's name with just a copy of her passport. I sent the signature cards to her, she signed and returned via post. I got a MasterCard Debit ATM card. No charge for deposits to the account, and they ONLY charge a 1% foreign transaction fee, and they give a very reasonable bank exchange rate. So, $100.00 usd only costs about $1.00.

Just my two cents.

- Derrel

15 Apr 2007 - Arrived Manila for work

18 Apr 2007 - Life changed, met wonderful woman.

04 May 2007 - Work ended, return to US.

29 May 2007 - I-129F Received by CSC

06 Jun 2007 - NOA1

15 Jun 2007 - 10 day vacation to province

07 Sep 2007 - 8 day vacation to Manila

19 Nov 2007 - NOA2

14 Dec 2007 - NVC entered data MNL2007847XXX

17 Dec 2007 - per phone call, case left NVC for USEM

21 Dec 2007 - per phone call, electronic case arrived at USEM

15 Jan 2008 - per phone call 11:30pm CST (Jan 16 in Manila) interview date obtained

22-25 Jan 2008 - EARLY medical SLEC appointment

05 Mar 2008 - K-1 Interview USEM

29 Mar 2008 - Arrived DFW airport

17 May 2008 - Married, Dallas, TX

20 Jun 2008 - Filed AOS, EAD

CONFIRMED Baby due 18 Apr 2009 - Two years from meeting.

5 Nov 2008 - K-2 Visa for child @ USEM

Timeline
Be like me.. FOR FREE..

Asked for a duplicate of your debit card from your bank.. Send it to your spouse.

You put some money on your account, and she can just withdraw them.. Anywhere there is ATM that accepts VISA or MASTERCARD..

Otherwise I use xoom.com

I first sent a debit card on MY account. Problem... MasterCard debit card with MY NAME ON IT... if she got 'caught' with it, they could say she stole it or whatever... just another means to get a bribe... SO.... Opening the joint account, she gets a card with HER name on it... PLUS... she can use it at a store or anywhere MasterCard is accepted... And the 'fee' is only the 1% foreign transaction fee.!

Additional two cents, credit my account, debit yours.

- Derrel

15 Apr 2007 - Arrived Manila for work

18 Apr 2007 - Life changed, met wonderful woman.

04 May 2007 - Work ended, return to US.

29 May 2007 - I-129F Received by CSC

06 Jun 2007 - NOA1

15 Jun 2007 - 10 day vacation to province

07 Sep 2007 - 8 day vacation to Manila

19 Nov 2007 - NOA2

14 Dec 2007 - NVC entered data MNL2007847XXX

17 Dec 2007 - per phone call, case left NVC for USEM

21 Dec 2007 - per phone call, electronic case arrived at USEM

15 Jan 2008 - per phone call 11:30pm CST (Jan 16 in Manila) interview date obtained

22-25 Jan 2008 - EARLY medical SLEC appointment

05 Mar 2008 - K-1 Interview USEM

29 Mar 2008 - Arrived DFW airport

17 May 2008 - Married, Dallas, TX

20 Jun 2008 - Filed AOS, EAD

CONFIRMED Baby due 18 Apr 2009 - Two years from meeting.

5 Nov 2008 - K-2 Visa for child @ USEM

I first sent a debit card on MY account. Problem... MasterCard debit card with MY NAME ON IT... if she got 'caught' with it, they could say she stole it or whatever... just another means to get a bribe... SO.... Opening the joint account, she gets a card with HER name on it... PLUS... she can use it at a store or anywhere MasterCard is accepted... And the 'fee' is only the 1% foreign transaction fee.!

Additional two cents, credit my account, debit yours.

- Derrel

I tried that.. HSBC has a strict rules.. They need her presence for Joint Account..

Oh well I just told her that whenever she makes a withdrawal at any ATM she always bring her Driver's License with her with her married name on it.. and our Marriage Contract..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Timeline

Last time I tried using Xoom, my bank's fraud detection blocked the transaction. I ended up using moneygram, was cheaper than xoom.

I also tried putting Acel on my account, they wouldn't put her on it until she signed some paperwork.

------- @>-@>-@>--------

AOS

Jul 23, 2008 ---> Mailed AOS, EAD and AP package

July 27, 2008 ---> check cleared

Jul 29, 2008 ---> NOA Date

Aug 2, 2008 ---> received confirmation mail for AOS, EAD and AP

Aug 9, 2008 ---> received biometrics appointment letter

Aug 21, 2008 ---> BIOMETRICS schedule at 3 pm

Aug 12, 2008 ---> took Biometrics in advance as a walk in

Aug 12, 2008 ---> touched

Aug 18, 2008 ---> I-485 notice of transfer to CSC

Sept 23, 2008 ---> touched

Nov 18, 2008 ---> GC RECEIVED!!!

EAD

Sept 30, 2008 ---> Card production ordered <expect to receive within 30 days>

Oct 11, 2008 ---> EAD received

AP

Sept 30, 2008 ---> AP approved <NOA mailed>

Oct 10, 2008 ---> AP received

ROC

Oct 11, 2010 ---> Mailed ROC packet

Oct 12, 2010 ---> Signed for and received by destination

Oct 14, 2010 ---> Money order cashed

Oct 18, 2010 ---> NOA1 received in mail

Nov 15, 2010 ---> Biometrics and fingerprinting appointment

Jan 28, 2011 ---> ROC approved

Jan 31, 2011 ---> Card mailed out

Feb 2, 2011 ---> Card received in the mail.

• 9 years later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm a bit confused in this matter. I sent 400usd to my sister in the Philippines and paid $10 for the transaction. When my sister got the money it was 19,400 pesos, when it supposed to be  19,882 pesos . I just want clarity if they are going to charge you again for the conversion? Or is it cheaper to convert it here in the US when sending money than doing the conversion in the Philippines? 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Lyan said:

I'm a bit confused in this matter. I sent 400usd to my sister in the Philippines and paid $10 for the transaction. When my sister got the money it was 19,400 pesos, when it supposed to be  19,882 pesos . I just want clarity if they are going to charge you again for the conversion? Or is it cheaper to convert it here in the US when sending money than doing the conversion in the Philippines? 

You are posting to a 9 year old topic.  Hope you are not expecting them to reply.

With that said WU is one of the worse.  XOOM is better that WU still a little costly.  REMITLY is better than both, no transfer fees and better exchange rates.. and no one gets "slammed" for mystery fees when picking up.

I used XOOM  for a few years before I found REMITLY, now they are the only service I use.   Here is a link to REMITLY, sign up with this link and you get a gift certificate once you complete a transfer.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

32 minutes ago, Lyan said:

Did you send it online or in person? I know for a fact that there is two different options when doing WU and that is either have sender send the exact dollar amount, or have it already converted over. So if you send $400 the exact dollar amount the receiver would get $400, but if you have it converted by WU then exchange rate is actually really low and receiver gets less. That is because WU actually makes money on both ends of the transaction, they make it when you pay them to send the money, they make it a second time when they exchange the money and pocket the difference. I found out the hard way one this one a few years back.

My asawa has found it alot easier to just you Xoom honestly. They have model right there on front page of website when you log in on if you send X amount of dollars the receiver would Y amount of pesos. Also the fee is only $6.99 if I remember correctly. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.