Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Social Security Number

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Zambia

Hi Everyone!

My fiance was approved for his visa this week! Yeahhh! Now we are making travel arrangements and diving into heavy-duty wedding planning!

I was just looking aroud trying to understand when he is eligible to receive a social security number, but its difficult to find a clear answer. I'm asking because I want to put him on my health insurance asap and think a ssn may be required for that. Has anyone had experience in dealing with this sort of thing?

Any advice is most welcome!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Eligible to apply for an SSN from Day 1 to Day 76 after arrival....
Yep, but it is recommended to give it a few weeks after entry for USCIS to update the database that SSA uses to confirm immigrations status.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline
I was just looking aroud trying to understand when he is eligible to receive a social security number, but its difficult to find a clear answer. I'm asking because I want to put him on my health insurance asap and think a ssn may be required for that. Has anyone had experience in dealing with this sort of thing?

How clear is this and I have some experience with this sort of thing.

An individual with K-1/2/3/4 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at an SSA office to establish his or her age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status.

Note: Checking off on the DS-230 to be assigned an SSN DOES NOT apply for individuals issued K visas. That is only for individuals age 18 or older that have been issued an immigrant visa and all K visa classifications are non immigrant.

The applicant needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status. If one document is used for identity and employment authorized, another has to be provided for age.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual that entered the United States with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, i.e. I-551, I-688B or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

From day one of entry individuals that have entered the United States with K-2/3/4 status must provide an I-551, I-688B or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:


RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:


Suggest that individuals apply for a corrected SSN card to update the SSN record when there has been a name change due to marriage.

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed to establish the name change if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

Note: State law must also allow the type of name change wishing to be made

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information, e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's names, and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.)

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

You can refer SSA office personnel to EM-06064 for current procedures for a name change due to marriage:


RM 00203.210 C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data:


This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

"If the applicant has no immediate need for the SSN and the translation can be done promptly or the foreign language document is the only evidence available; have the document translated by an authorized translator and use the document as evidence. If the applicant has a pressing need for an SSN, and evidence other than the foreign language document is available; request other evidence and process the application without the foreign language document."

RM 00203.040 Reviewing SSN Evidence:


GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:


If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Website at:


The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Primary Evidence of identity for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

-- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application, taking into consideration the applicant's situation and exploring what evidence is available for the person.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:


SSA will not accept an application filing receipt or notice of action in place of an immigration document.

Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at one of our offices.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:


Note: Individuals that live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas,NV areas must apply in person at a Card Center:


When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE:


Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, i.e. I-94, was issued, e.g., married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, i.e. SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14 day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14 day period and entered the 14 day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

For applications submitted after 01/06/2007 SSA offices can submit an additional electronic verification request, that in most cases eliminates the need for a Form G-845 to be sent. However, the response to the additional electronic verification request can be to send copies of the immigration document(s) under cover of Form G-845.

If your status does not verify through the initial SAVE request be sure that the secondary request has been made and return to the SSA office no more than once a week to see if the SSA office has received a response from the secondary verification request. If the G-845 is sent wait two weeks and start checking once a week for a response. Be sure to take your document whenever going into the SSA office.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the application.

You can find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:


The IRS issues Individual Tax Identification Numbers for tax purposes to individuals that are not eligible to be assigned an SSN.

To be issued an ITIN Form W-7 must be submitted.

For more information you can contact the the ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

If issued an ITIN and later assigned an SSN, be sure to contact IRS to have the ITIN canceled.

When you apply for a new card card DO NOT DO NOT let them take your old card until you get the new one. Say the dog ate it.

RM 00201.080 Field Office (FO) Disposal of Returned Social Security Number (SSN) Cards:


2. Card Returned With Request For Replacement Card or New SSN

If the applicant has a card and requests a replacement card (duplicate or corrected) or a new SSN:

-- Ask the applicant to return the old SSN card. (If the applicant does not have the card with him or her, remind the applicant to return the old card to SSA for destruction or to keep the old card in a secure place [not in a wallet or purse]).

NOTE: Do not forcefully confiscate the SSN card if the applicant refuses to relinquish it. Similarly, return the old SSN card if the applicant requests that it be given back.

RM 00203.735 and RM 00201.080 were removed from the SSA Website, but the archived copy is still valid POMS procedure for RM 00201.080 and RM 00203.735 section E is still part of the current version of that POMS section as far as the one letter tolerance, no middle name and having changed your name.

Edited by I Quit

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...