Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My life is not only boring but also depressing. I spend most days pretending to look for jobs, but really yelling at cable news. My family have gone up to San Fran till tomorrow, it's nice to have a bit of peace, and still nice that they'll be here for a few days before they leave on thursday.

Still no job, union stuff still being a pain, lots of dead ends. I'm about to start from the beginning again, and start bothering people that have said they would look out for something for me, but I haven't heard from since. You know, I'm not sure this whole freelance thing is for me. I hate job hunting. And I think I'm getting worse at it.

Sorry for the depressing post. I really never forsaw that I'd be coming up to November, and still in this position.

Don't beat yourself up. It's just bad timing with the economic downturn. I don't think Nicky expected the same either.

wtf-picard.jpg

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man...the UK forum is dead....it makes me sad....

I know and I've been such a lurker lately. :D

Right now my life is sooooooo boring that I really have nothing to say. I spend most of each day applying for jobs or just picking up groceries and running errands and I just can't manage to turn that into anything worth mentioning.

I was looking forward to Aly's party but I had to cancel because flights were so much more expensive than I was expecting and I just can't justify spending that kind of money when I don't have a job yet. On the plus side I am going to my first meet up arranged through www.meetup.com on Sunday. The British group (that you put me onto Julez, thank you) are celebrating Guy Fawkes night and are having a big bonfire and fireworks etc. and I'm really looking forward to that. :)

Awwww I am sooo jealous - I tried looking but I can't find anything for bonfire night around the area... maybe there is something in LA but it's a bit far :( Stupid that you can't have your own in the back garden like back in the UK!!!

Pointy - if it is any consolation I still don't even have my EAD so can't even pretend to look for jobs. I can't be bothered to look for jobs that I can't even apply for so in the meantime I am just sitting here all day playing with the cats and surfing the net... hardly satisfying :( Been feeling a bit homesick as well recently. Spoke to mum yesterday and she was saying that if I hadn't found a job by the time she comes to visit (April - heaven forbid :o ) then maybe I could fly up to meet her in San Fran and road trip down with her and her partner before getting to Palm Springs a week later. Thing is now she has said that it hardly gives me much of an incentive to want to get a job :lol: I might do that anyway though and take unpaid time off if I have to. It's just heartbreaking knowing that she is trying to find ways to spend as much time with me as possible - she is not a very emotive person and if you knew her and how much she NAGS about me getting a job (when I was in the UK looking for work) putting the two together just tells me how much she misses me which makes me sad :(

Yuck - now I'm all depressed - booo!!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Had a mini panic yesterday. I'm starting to try to decide what to do. I think that if I can't find a job soon, I'll have to start looking for anything that pays money. But I know that jobs are scarce everywhere, and I don't know if I could realistically get a job well paid enough in some other field.

I'm pretty scared. We signed a 3 month lease here, which is up in mid Nov. I don't know what to do after that. Put everything in storage and go live with C's mom... not a fantastic prospect, but I don't know what else we could do.

The UK Wiki

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I've only had EAD in hand 1 day and already realising this is going to be tough. 2 applications away today. fingers, toes and eyes crossed :blink: . Non of the jobs are ideal but it's money and any money is better than nothing.

MY TIMELINES

K1

06/21/2007 - petition mailed....finally

07/09/2007 - NOA1 (hard copy 07/11/2007)

11/13/2007 - NOA2...127days after filing (hard copy 11/17/07)

12/22/2007 - packet 3 rec. (12/28/2007 returned)

01/11/2008 - medical (allergic to tetanus shot, requirement waived)

02/05/2008 - interview @ 10am - APPROVED!!!!!!

03/12/2008 - Flying Glasgow - Dublin - Chicago - Omaha

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

07/31/2008 - AOS and EAD finally mailed

08/02/2008 - Delivered

08/08/2008 - Check cleared

08/11/2008 - NOA1's for AOS and EAD recieved (reciept date 08/07/2008)

08/16/2008 - Biometrics letter recieved

09/09/2008 - Biometrics at 1pm, Omaha

09/26/2008 - AOS transferred to CSC

09/29/2008 - AOS touched (took out envelope at CSC and put in new pile)

10/03/2008 - AOS touched (probably that RFE coming soon!!!!)

10/06/2008 - AOS touched AGAIN!!! (surely it's an RFE)

10/15/2008 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!YEY!!!

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

01/26/2009 - Email from CRIS. GREENCARD PRODUCTION ORDERED..YIPPPPEEE

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

11/15/2010 - NOA1 and check cashed

Timeline

double post....SORWY!!!! :blush:

Edited by weedebz

MY TIMELINES

K1

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

08/02/2008 - Delivered

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

This is totally random but in my Hallowe'en prep I have been looking at the Rocky Horror Show live - they actually have live shows for around $25 in Cali up to the beginning of January (Santa Clara) and until the 22nd November (Fresno).

I haven't even consulted Jeremy but wondered if anyone might be up for it - I went to see the show at the Hippodrome in Bristol and had an awesome time (the drinks in the Hatchet afterwards were good too :D). Has anyone ever been Stateside? Do people still dress up!?

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Timeline

I got a job interview on Monday for a kennel and animal care assistant at a vet hospital. Put in application 2 hrs ago and they just called and said come in monday 8am for a working interview, wear old clothes. They do on the job interview as they can't tell how you interact with animals just by talking to you.

MY TIMELINES

K1

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

08/02/2008 - Delivered

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I got a job interview on Monday for a kennel and animal care assistant at a vet hospital. Put in application 2 hrs ago and they just called and said come in monday 8am for a working interview, wear old clothes. They do on the job interview as they can't tell how you interact with animals just by talking to you.

Yaaay CONGRATULATIONS!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

WOW! That's great news Debz!! Like the fastest ever!!!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Hello UK ot!

I was hoping somebody here might be able to help me. I use to watch a show called "house of tiny tearaways" with Dr. Tanya Byron. I got totally addicted to it but I cannot find anywhere to watch it here in the U.S. Do they have it out on DVD? Is there any place to watch it online where you don't need to be in the UK to watch it? Does anybody know the show?

Poiteen- (F) It won't be like this forever....something will come along, but I know that it's not fun right now.

Grrrrr! Just got back to Burbank this morning, totally knackered. Anyway, I'm sitting down, watching Keith Olbermann and chomping on some leftover pizza, when I bite into a really crunchy bit of the pizza. Huh, I think, weird, because this pizza is kinda soggy. I think nothing of it for about 5 minutes, nothing at all, until I feel something caught in one of my teeth. I touch the tooth with my tongue and the tooth feels really rough, like whatever's caught in there is gargantuan and covering the tooth. It eventually dawns on me that the crunch was actually part of my tooth coming off. I hadn't even figured out my tooth had cracked because I had that tooth filled a few years ago after a root canal, so no pain at all. I only ever had one major dental procedure during my 12 years in Britain and the effing thing CRACKS after three years -- while the fillings I had as a kid in the US (one is almost 25 years old) are still just super. In fact my London dentist -- I had called him the Butcher of Old Street back then -- had commented on how good the fillings were.

So, anyway, because I had the root canal at least there is no nerve in there and I can wait to see a dentist until tomorrow morning. And the tooth is quite far back so you can't see it when I smile. But bloody British dentistry -- GAAAAAAH! :ranting:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Congrats to Debz, sounds like a cool job, good luck with the interview!

Ouch to Maven, that sucks about your tooth. Good thing you can't feel anything though. Now you have the chance to have it done properly here in the U S of A.

Aly, hope you're feeling better.

The UK Wiki

Grrrrr! Just got back to Burbank this morning, totally knackered. Anyway, I'm sitting down, watching Keith Olbermann and chomping on some leftover pizza, when I bite into a really crunchy bit of the pizza. Huh, I think, weird, because this pizza is kinda soggy. I think nothing of it for about 5 minutes, nothing at all, until I feel something caught in one of my teeth. I touch the tooth with my tongue and the tooth feels really rough, like whatever's caught in there is gargantuan and covering the tooth. It eventually dawns on me that the crunch was actually part of my tooth coming off. I hadn't even figured out my tooth had cracked because I had that tooth filled a few years ago after a root canal, so no pain at all. I only ever had one major dental procedure during my 12 years in Britain and the effing thing CRACKS after three years -- while the fillings I had as a kid in the US (one is almost 25 years old) are still just super. In fact my London dentist -- I had called him the Butcher of Old Street back then -- had commented on how good the fillings were.

So, anyway, because I had the root canal at least there is no nerve in there and I can wait to see a dentist until tomorrow morning. And the tooth is quite far back so you can't see it when I smile. But bloody British dentistry -- GAAAAAAH! :ranting:

That's why we all have bad teeth doncha know?! :lol:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Well, after nearly 3 hours in the dentist's chair, I have a temporary crown. Although the dentist was very gentle and I barely felt a thing, it was hardly my idea of a day well spent. And I have to go back in 2 weeks for the permanent crown. Grrrr! :angry:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Yuck - three hours?!?! That's ages! Sounds very boring but at least it didn't hurt which is my biggest fear... after having a root canal years ago it put me off going to the dentist for 6 years until I decided that I really needed to get a hole seen to... my UK dentist is sooo lovely that I am going to try and keep seeing her once a year for a checkup... not sure how that will work but it is worth a try :D

Oh! And I sent you a message on facebook Maven - you seem to have vanished from there again!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.