Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Julez, here's what I did this year. I bought a box of chilled (not frozen) pie crusts. You can usually find these in the chiller section at the supermarket, often near the butter and always near the Pillsbury crescent rolls in a tube. I used a jar of Cross & Blackwell mincemeat and a muffin tin from the 99 cent store. You take the two packets of dough out of the box (but not out of the cellophane) and let them come to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Then use a round cookie cutter or a large mug to cut out bases to the pies. They need to fit in the tins and have a bit of dough above the line. Fill each one with mincemeat. Cut out tops to the pies by using a smaller round stencil/cutter. Put each on top of a pie; crimp each one closed and cut steam holes in each. Bake in a 350F oven for about 25-30 mins, until brown. Makes at least a dozen pies.

No defrosting, no rolling (unless you reuse scraps of dough). Just cut, fill, crimp and bake. Easy peasy!

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks rocks, I need to swot up on the lingo.

:lol:

has it been a while since you last visited? i start to forget the different words after a while too. ;)

I was last in the US in August, but because Tom was in the UK for a few years I always use UK words for things with him as he usually has an idea of what I mean. But words have slowly been creeping in such as trunk, and cart (instead of trolley) :lol:

I dont know if anyone else feel like this but im glad the christmas period is nearly over, my emotions are like a roller coaster at this time of year, i miss my family back in the uk so much. But this year i only have 2 weeks to wait, then i have my 18 year old daughter coming over for 10 weeks to stay with me, will be the first time shes travelled alone, so will be a big step for her....im so excited.

Oct. 2005-Met on MySpace.com
Jan. 2006-Bill visits Hayley in the UK
March 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America
June 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America
Oct. 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America (Again!)
Oct. 2006- Officially engaged!
K1.
Oct. 23 2006-I-129F sent to the Vermont Service Center
Oct. 25 2006-I-129F received
Oct. 31 2006- check cashed
Nov. 2 2006-NOA1 received
Nov. 13 2006- NOA2 email received
Nov. 17 2006-NOA2 actual letter received in mail
Nov. 20 2006-NVC receives our case!
Dec. 02 2006-Packet 3 arrives
Jan. 09 2007-receive police check(30 days)
Jan. 12 2007 booked medical for 15th feb.
Jan. 17 2007-packet 3 sent back (At last!)
Jan 31 2007-received packet 4, omg so excited....interview date:march 6th
Feb. 26-March 12 2007-Bill in the UK for Hayley's medical and interview
Feb.7 2007.Moved medical to 5th march.
March.5 2007- New medical date.
March.6 2007- Interview 10:30.
March.21 2007- VISA ARRIVED....YIPEEEEEEE
June.28 2007- Leaving England. POE Philadelphia ARGGHH
July.7.2007 Wedding day....
AOS.
July.10.2007 Sent off AOS and AP.
July 18.2007 Applied for SSN in married name.
August.7.2007 Biometrics appt at 8 am
August.20.2007 Advance parole came in post...wow that was quick.
August.24 2007 Got interview date for 5th oct.
October 5, 2007 Approved!
October.11.2007 Welcome letter came in mail.
October.18.2007 Greencard in mail...yayyayayayayay
July 13th 2009- here we go again..Removal of Conditions.
July 17th 2009- Check cashed.
July 20th 2009- NOA received.receipt date 07/15/09.
Aug 10th 2009- Biometrics appointment @ 11am.
Nov 20th 2009 -10 year Green Card arrive.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
oh man, does the chilled pre-made dough beat my food processer dough. sucks.... *skulks off* *mumbles*....

:lol:

I am sure your crust is far better than the pillsbury stuff, HOWEVER, its much easier to go buy stuff ready made. And when it comes to baking, I am all about the ready made! I will cook an elaborate meal, but the baking for me is almost always a flop. :blush:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I dont know if anyone else feel like this but im glad the christmas period is nearly over, my emotions are like a roller coaster at this time of year, i miss my family back in the uk so much. But this year i only have 2 weeks to wait, then i have my 18 year old daughter coming over for 10 weeks to stay with me, will be the first time shes travelled alone, so will be a big step for her....im so excited.

Wow, Haley! Long time no see! *hugs* Its really good to see you. :)

My husband would totally agree with you. Being away from the UK is much harder for him around the holidays, too. How nice that you and your daughter will have a nice, long visit together. Enjoy it, but don't be such a stranger here!

Thanks Julez :D Yea i know its been a while, hope everythings good with you. Ive just been adjusting to life here in the US of A.

Oct. 2005-Met on MySpace.com
Jan. 2006-Bill visits Hayley in the UK
March 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America
June 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America
Oct. 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America (Again!)
Oct. 2006- Officially engaged!
K1.
Oct. 23 2006-I-129F sent to the Vermont Service Center
Oct. 25 2006-I-129F received
Oct. 31 2006- check cashed
Nov. 2 2006-NOA1 received
Nov. 13 2006- NOA2 email received
Nov. 17 2006-NOA2 actual letter received in mail
Nov. 20 2006-NVC receives our case!
Dec. 02 2006-Packet 3 arrives
Jan. 09 2007-receive police check(30 days)
Jan. 12 2007 booked medical for 15th feb.
Jan. 17 2007-packet 3 sent back (At last!)
Jan 31 2007-received packet 4, omg so excited....interview date:march 6th
Feb. 26-March 12 2007-Bill in the UK for Hayley's medical and interview
Feb.7 2007.Moved medical to 5th march.
March.5 2007- New medical date.
March.6 2007- Interview 10:30.
March.21 2007- VISA ARRIVED....YIPEEEEEEE
June.28 2007- Leaving England. POE Philadelphia ARGGHH
July.7.2007 Wedding day....
AOS.
July.10.2007 Sent off AOS and AP.
July 18.2007 Applied for SSN in married name.
August.7.2007 Biometrics appt at 8 am
August.20.2007 Advance parole came in post...wow that was quick.
August.24 2007 Got interview date for 5th oct.
October 5, 2007 Approved!
October.11.2007 Welcome letter came in mail.
October.18.2007 Greencard in mail...yayyayayayayay
July 13th 2009- here we go again..Removal of Conditions.
July 17th 2009- Check cashed.
July 20th 2009- NOA received.receipt date 07/15/09.
Aug 10th 2009- Biometrics appointment @ 11am.
Nov 20th 2009 -10 year Green Card arrive.

Hope you all enjoy whatever your doing this hogmanay! All the very best for 2009. See yous next year!!

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

You know, I couldn't even find pre-made puff pastry so on Jeremy's recommendation we used something he said was the same and it wasn't. Not. Happy :(

Sausage rolls were still yummy but a bit on the soggy side :lol:

AhhH!! This thread gets closed today! Who knows if it is going to go by EST or...?? :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

...or if they'll even remember? ;)

I had a devil of a time finding frozen pastry too... not counting the pack that was in my freezer when I got here ;) ...but found some filo at a fantastic import store the other day so things are looking up in that regard :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.