LovedOne

I'm Pretty Sure My Lawyer Made A Big Mistake

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Before I get into all the details...I just want to thank everyone on here for all the advice. I've been lurking for a while, but have finally come out of the shadows.

On to the issue at hand...my husband and I recently filed for my adjustment of status. I was content to do it on our own, but our families told us to go with a lawyer. We got a "good" lawyer, and gave her all the information sometime in November with the assurance that everything would be filed by Christmas. Last week I got a call from the lawyer's assistant informing me that I had given her the wrong amount for the filing fees (she quoted the old fees), and I needed to also submit Form I-495A and pay the extra $1000. After politely explaining to her that she was wrong about pretty much everything she told me, she then informed me, she would consult with the lawyer and then get back to me :angry: I called the office today, and once again I spoke to the receptionist, and she told me she had mailed out the forms :dance: At this point I was overly excited, and then decided to ask her if she mailed it to the Chicago lockbox, but then she told me that she had mailed it to the Texas address because I live in Houston :o

I'm pretty upset because I am sure all applications need to go to Chicago. I'm not too happy with the lawyer right now. I knew I should have done this myself. My question is, does anyone know if USCIS will return the application to the lawyer so it can be sent to the right location or will be transferred to Chicago. Please help!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Before I get into all the details...I just want to thank everyone on here for all the advice. I've been lurking for a while, but have finally come out of the shadows.

On to the issue at hand...my husband and I recently filed for my adjustment of status. I was content to do it on our own, but our families told us to go with a lawyer. We got a "good" lawyer, and gave her all the information sometime in November with the assurance that everything would be filed by Christmas. Last week I got a call from the lawyer's assistant informing me that I had given her the wrong amount for the filing fees (she quoted the old fees), and I needed to also submit Form I-495A and pay the extra $1000. After politely explaining to her that she was wrong about pretty much everything she told me, she then informed me, she would consult with the lawyer and then get back to me :angry: I called the office today, and once again I spoke to the receptionist, and she told me she had mailed out the forms :dance: At this point I was overly excited, and then decided to ask her if she mailed it to the Chicago lockbox, but then she told me that she had mailed it to the Texas address because I live in Houston :o

I'm pretty upset because I am sure all applications need to go to Chicago. I'm not too happy with the lawyer right now. I knew I should have done this myself. My question is, does anyone know if USCIS will return the application to the lawyer so it can be sent to the right location or will be transferred to Chicago. Please help!!!

Hi I can only tell you what happened with our attorney. she mailed our I-130 to ur service center (Nebraska) and it was automatically forwarded to Chicago lock box. If i am reading correctly ALL forms are being sent there for processing. again this is speculation from what i am seeing and hearing and reading.

Bill

I-130

Sent: 11-16-07 (date actually sent)

Rec'd: 12-23-08 (this is date listed as received by USCIS

NOA1 : 2-4-08

touch: 2-7-08

touch : 4-13-08 (probably due to address change)

touch : 4-21-08

touch : 4-22-08

APPROVAL!!: 4-21-08

Payed AOS fee 6-26-08

I-129f

Sent: 3-07-08

NOA1: 3-11-08

touch: 3-14-08

touch: 4-21-08

touch :4-22-08

APPROVAL: 4-21-08

NVC received: 4-28-08

consulate received: 5-5-08

INTERVIEW!!! : 7-17-08

6073.gif

7109.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi I can only tell you what happened with our attorney. she mailed our I-130 to ur service center (Nebraska) and it was automatically forwarded to Chicago lock box. If i am reading correctly ALL forms are being sent there for processing. again this is speculation from what i am seeing and hearing and reading.

Bill

I really hope this is the case in our situation. Thanks for the quick reply.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Bill

This is my understanding also. i have used a lawyer that has hindered my case not assist or help. You pay money so you do not have to worry, but they seem less informed then people on this site.

Your AOS will make it into the right hands.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Have they given you a list of the forms that they actually sent? If so check it against the guides on here to make sure that they have filed the correct forms. Stay proactive with the lawyer as sometimes they have harmed rather than helped when someone incompetent handled the case.

It should make its way to chicago or it may be returned to the lawyer. Just depends on the receiver when they get it but Im hoping they just forward it on.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We ditched our lawyer after they couldn't even complete the G325s correctly. We lost $1,000 and 6 months waiting for them. We sent countless documents, photos and other things they asked for and they never got anywhere. It was a huge waste of time and I am pretty sure they are scammers.

Anyway, I sent our AOS to the wrong location also. USCIS does forward the mail so don't despair. It may just add a few weeks onto your processing time.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't even get me started about so-called "Immigraton Lawyers"...while I'm sure there ARE competent ones out there, anyone who's familiar with my case knows where it got us....suffice to say with the help of VJ, I was able to do file our AOS with no problems (so far, knock on wood). :reading:

Good for you in keeping them on their toes! Stay on them, keep getting educated, and Godspeed in your processing!

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP

Day 000: 2007-12-28 Mailed Application

Day 006: 2008-01-03 "Received Date"

Day 011: 2008-01-08 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received

Day 028: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.

Day 043: 2008-02-09 AOS Notice of Interview received

Day 054: 2008-02-20 AP & EAD Approval Email

Day 059: 2008-02-25 Received AP

Day 060: 2008-02-26 EAD card production ordered

Day 063: 2008-02-29 EAD card received

Day 123: 2008-05-01 AOS Interview in Detroit!

Day 123: 2008-05-01 Approval email notice...same day as Interview!

Day 125: 2008-05-03 Card Production Notice

Day 127: 2008-05-05 Welcome to the USA Letter!

K-1 Visa Approval

Day 000: 2007-02-05 Mailed Application

Day 016: 2007-02-21 NOA1 Date

Day 087: 2007-05-03 NOA2 Date

Day 119: 2007-06-05 Received Packet 3 (Instructions)

Day 123: 2007-06-09 Returned Packet 3

Day 287: 2007-11-08 K-1 Interview at Montreal

Day 293: 2007-11-14 K1 Visa in Hand

Day 296: 2007-11-17 POE

Day 299: 2007-11-20 Wedding on St. Pete Beach, FL

It's not entirely your lawyer's fault. I was just looking at Instructions for the I-130 on the USCIS web site and they still had the 4 service centers as showing to send forms and they did away with Texas and Nebraska for I-130s early last year, let alone the latest change to the lockbox. You wouold think they could keep up to date instructions on the web site. This does show the advantage of this site though, with so many eyes watching for the lastest info and then sharing with everyone else.

Hopefully your app will be forwarded. They have stated they will forward apps going to CSC and VSC, but I haven't heard if they are still forwarding for TSC and NSC. If it does come back, make sure the lawyer's office puts the right address on package and doen't try to use the +4 zip.

Hope things start going better for you....and if you continue having trouble, you can always fire the lawyer and just name the USC as agent of choice when the DS-3032 arrives.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.