Dr. Obvious

Getting a DL in Indiana really sucks

58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is almost as bad as USCIS. To get his license, he has to be centrally verified. It has been two months now and no one knows anything period. No one calls me back and I can't get a hold of them. He can't get a real learning permit until then, only a driving waiver. AGH.

All I had to do was write the test and then do my road test. My I-94 was expired but I told them I have applied for adjustment of status. They let me take the road test. I'm still waiting for my license to arrive in the mail though but it has only been one month. So I have the stamped paper which entitles me to drive.

When did the BMV start thinking immigration matters were any of their business?

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

They are making my husband go through the whole learning permit process, so he hasn't even been able to take the road test yet. He has also an allowance to drive, but it is still not what we want, that being a license.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
This is almost as bad as USCIS. To get his license, he has to be centrally verified. It has been two months now and no one knows anything period. No one calls me back and I can't get a hold of them. He can't get a real learning permit until then, only a driving waiver. AGH.

All I had to do was write the test and then do my road test. My I-94 was expired but I told them I have applied for adjustment of status. They let me take the road test. I'm still waiting for my license to arrive in the mail though but it has only been one month. So I have the stamped paper which entitles me to drive.

In the last 6 months or so, apparently. Anyone who applies can start learning to drive straight away, but you then have to wait the requisite 2 months before taking the test (this applies to all applicants, not just immigrants). Immigrants have their info sent to Anapolis and then onto USCIS. Until they get the actual learners permit through (rather than the paper permit given at time of application) they cannot take the road test and this seems to take longer than the 2 months. Grrrr.

In the last 6 months or so, apparently. Anyone who applies can start learning to drive straight away, but you then have to wait the requisite 2 months before taking the test (this applies to all applicants, not just immigrants). Immigrants have their info sent to Anapolis and then onto USCIS. Until they get the actual learners permit through (rather than the paper permit given at time of application) they cannot take the road test and this seems to take longer than the 2 months. Grrrr.

Mags, how did I get my road test then? I wrote the test in October and took the road test in December. I didn't have to wait two months because I had a Canadian license (which they did not take away). I passed the test, got the photo taken, paid the fee, and received a paper permitting me to drive until the license comes whenever it manages to arrive.

I still don't think the BMV has any business in immigration issues. Whatsoever.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Timeline

Mags, how did I get my road test then? I wrote the test in October and took the road test in December. I didn't have to wait two months because I had a Canadian license (which they did not take away). I passed the test, got the photo taken, paid the fee, and received a paper permitting me to drive until the license comes whenever it manages to arrive.

Joe, I have no idea how you managed that, but you're very lucky compared to many here! :D And I agree, I don't think this should be anything to do with the BMV. ;)

In Illinois it was pretty straight forward. All we needed was proof of ID (passport), proof of address (electric bill - just call and add his name on and wait for the bill to come) and SSN card. We got a non driver ID just so we can fly domestically without having to lug the passport.

Learner's permit - just need to take the written exam and should be pretty straight forward now that he has the non driver ID.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Joe, I have no idea how you managed that, but you're very lucky compared to many here! :D And I agree, I don't think this should be anything to do with the BMV. ;)

LOL pretty cool. :devil: I live in Elkhart county and complain about it alot but I guess they did something right. haha or wrong. But it's all good.

Yeah, when even municipal police have no business with immigration issues, one would think the BMV would keep their noses out of where they don't belong.

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Yeah, when even municipal police have no business with immigration issues...

Heh, when we got in our wreck, my husband asked the police officer if he needed his passport or I-551 for ID. The officer just gave him a look like "Why?".

One of the more amusing things that we learned about Indiana was that I guess you don't need a translation of your license to drive here on it. He just gave the officer his German license untranslated with no international license and that was fine and dandy enough for the officer. If was a problem, he would have been cited.

Yeah, when even municipal police have no business with immigration issues...

Heh, when we got in our wreck, my husband asked the police officer if he needed his passport or I-551 for ID. The officer just gave him a look like "Why?".

One of the more amusing things that we learned about Indiana was that I guess you don't need a translation of your license to drive here on it. He just gave the officer his German license untranslated with no international license and that was fine and dandy enough for the officer. If was a problem, he would have been cited.

Sorry about the wreck but I'm glad the officer didn't have a problem with his license.

As far as I know, local police have no business with immigration issues. There job is not to be out hunting illegals and any cop who does should lose his badge.

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Here's my overview of driving test today (at East Chicago BMV).

I was scheduled for 1130 to take the road test. I arrived with my husband's friend's mother at 1115 (good thing my hubby did not come - according to him I either drive too slowly or can't do it and I had my foreign Dl for 5 years!!!). We checked in - I gave them my LP, insurance card, car papers (new car so do not have registration yet) and my licensed driver's DL. This tall, greying man in his 50s with glasses was going to come with me. We went outside, he made me start the car and per his instructions I stepped on the break, then turned on turn signals - for him to check. After he was satisfied all was ok, he got in and we went for a drive - asked if I had any major medical conditions, was I even convicted. He told me to drive in the neighbourhood - over by the hospital, turn left here, turn right there, let's do parallel parking, for about 10 minutes. He asked me how old I was and did I drive before - explained to him they did not recognize my foreign DL so had to do everything from scratch. Asked whether I liked America and where I'm from - the usual things. We then returned to BMV where he told me I passed and that the colleagues are going to issue my DL.

Now here's the deal - the lady double checked my information and then I made sure she did not put me on the voters' registry as I am not a USC. He asked, oh really? The system shows no indication of that - which is good for you as you will get an unrestricted DL right now (instead of having to wait for the papers to check and getting it in the mail). She said someone made a mistake but it's all good for me, and that I was the second person in two days that this has happened with.

So, now I have a DL good until 2012.

Highly recommend East Chicago BMV :thumbs:

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hahaha the same thing happened to me. Hubby expected me to get the usual piece of paper telling me I have to wait 90 days for my license to be issued blah blah blah, because he saw me get that letter when I had to wait for my learner's permit.

The very nice lady checked her screen, kept smiling and talked with me about cookies and baking, and then bam! She handed me my shiny new license. My husband started to ask about central verification but I kicked his foot under the counter, so he bit his lip. I think we half ran out of the branch in case she changed her mind. :lol:

Now here's the deal - the lady double checked my information and then I made sure she did not put me on the voters' registry as I am not a USC. He asked, oh really? The system shows no indication of that - which is good for you as you will get an unrestricted DL right now (instead of having to wait for the papers to check and getting it in the mail). She said someone made a mistake but it's all good for me, and that I was the second person in two days that this has happened with.

So, now I have a DL good until 2012.

Highly recommend East Chicago BMV :thumbs:

Blame it all on the Real ID Act. I think they're just about to start implementing this full swing after giving the states a chance to work on getting their ID systems (DL and state IDs) up to standards set by this Real ID law.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline

Blame it all on the Real ID Act. I think they're just about to start implementing this full swing after giving the states a chance to work on getting their ID systems (DL and state IDs) up to standards set by this Real ID law.

I know that the area where we live (and a few surrounding counties in central Indiana) have just had brand spanking new systems implemented. Perhaps this is why we are having to do the waiting.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.