swiss_m_40

it used to be so easy

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Switzerland
Timeline

i remember i was in florida in 1997 and have rent a home there for 5 months. i was there on a extended tourist visa (today --> B2)

no one asked me about a social security number. i even went to the local DMV and got a DL valid for 2 years, a regular bank account and everything..

a friend of mine even got a social security card (not valid for work) over there in california...

thank you mister as.hole bin laden! you destroyed many dreams. because of you and your organisation many loving couples now struggle because the immigration law tighten up.

now i even fear the immigration officer every time at the POE and i am afraid he has a bad day and kicks me out for nothing (believe it or not, this happens)

i should have stayed there and apply for a green card then when it was way easier because in my heart i am a us citizen. im sad (and pissed) to be over here in this stupid european country. i even would give my life for the united states if i had to.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
i remember i was in florida in 1997 and have rent a home there for 5 months. i was there on a extended tourist visa (today --> B2)

no one asked me about a social security number. i even went to the local DMV and got a DL valid for 2 years, a regular bank account and everything..

a friend of mine even got a social security card (not valid for work) over there in california...

thank you mister as.hole bin laden! you destroyed many dreams. because of you and your organisation many loving couples now struggle because the immigration law tighten up.

now i even fear the immigration officer every time at the POE and i am afraid he has a bad day and kicks me out for nothing (believe it or not, this happens)

i should have stayed there and apply for a green card then when it was way easier because in my heart i am a us citizen. im sad (and pissed) to be over here in this stupid european country. i even would give my life for the united states if i had to.

Uh, even back then you would have needed a basis upon which to emigrate. And my husband came in 02 and got a DL and a bank account here in FL - but even back on 1997 I highly doubt anyone on a tourist visa got a social security number. They must have been on a visa allowing them to have one.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Uh, even back then you would have needed a basis upon which to emigrate. And my husband came in 02 and got a DL and a bank account here in FL - but even back on 1997 I highly doubt anyone on a tourist visa got a social security number. They must have been on a visa allowing them to have one.

No, it used to be a lot easier here. Lot's of Europeans own winter homes in Florida. 4-5 month trips used to be the norm here. (UK and German snowbirds). It is such a hassle now that many of them go to Spain instead.

Before the Patriot Act, you really didn't need anything to open a bank account. And European tourists who spend 3-4 months a year in the US really should have local driver's licenses. (Requiring a GC for a driver's license is a relatively new thing).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

No, it used to be a lot easier here. Lot's of Europeans own winter homes in Florida. 4-5 month trips used to be the norm here. (UK and German snowbirds). It is such a hassle now that many of them go to Spain instead.

Before the Patriot Act, you really didn't need anything to open a bank account. And European tourists who spend 3-4 months a year in the US really should have local driver's licenses. (Requiring a GC for a driver's license is a relatively new thing).

It used to be easier, but the OP is saying they should have just applied for their green card from their tourist visa back in 1997. There has to be some basis to do that - visiting has gotten harder, I agree with that and it's gotten more complicated, but owning a winter home in Florida and staying for 5 months isn't really immigrating, kwim? I just have a hard time believe you could just apply for a green card from a tourist visa with no real ties to the US.

There still are a lot of Canadians with winter homes, though! :lol:

My husband got a DL on his tourist visa 3 years ago here in Florida...that would have been 04 or 05.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Before the Patriot Act, you really didn't need anything to open a bank account.

And you don't need anything now.

Lots of banks will be happy to open a bank account for you with nothing but a foreign passport.

I have one with WaMu (they didn't even ask for my SSN) and a friend of mine (who's here

on business for a week) opened one with USBank(?) just the other day.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Really? I thought you just needed a SSN and a valid work permit or something. :unsure: We were hoping to get my husband a DL within a few weeks bc of work.... I really hope we don't have to wait for our AOS to go through before he can drive. That would knock out sooo many job opportunities.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline
Before the Patriot Act, you really didn't need anything to open a bank account.

And you don't need anything now.

Lots of banks will be happy to open a bank account for you with nothing but a foreign passport.

I have one with WaMu (they didn't even ask for my SSN) and a friend of mine (who's here

on business for a week) opened one with USBank(?) just the other day.

BofA didn't ask for an SSN then sent us a notice saying they would close our account if we didn't provide one :blink:

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
BofA didn't ask for an SSN then sent us a notice saying they would close our account if we didn't provide one :blink:

Well, WaMu haven't sent me any such notice and they still don't have my SSN (3+ years later.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Well, WaMu haven't sent me any such notice and they still don't have my SSN (3+ years later.)

Well, BofA sucks :P I bet WaMu wouldn't have had we had accounts with them.

The stupid thing was, they already had my SSN...when they gave him his, they switched the account over to his SSN. Stupid.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I understand your aggravation, but enjoy Switzerland while you can... It's a beautiful country with lots to offer, many things which this country doesn't. You'll get what you want in the end, hang in there.