forchika

The African Culture-What things do you know?

59 posts in this topic

I have been on the hunt to read up on the African Culture- I thought what better way to get more information and learn about some things that I still do not know than to ask my fellow members in the Africa:Sub-Saharan forum. It could be about anything...........that you know to be true that you want to share. I was mainly interested in the male African culture thru my search I saw this book that was written by this author Pete "Oil King" Agbo- Loving the African male: What every women must know. Have anyone read this book? Would also like to hear your reviews on the book if you have read it. I am posting to gain more knowledge.....KNOWLEDGE IS POWER :yes::yes::yes:

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

That's interesting. Let us know what you find out. My fiance is from Ghana, I tend to focus on his culture. I don't think I fully get the concept of an "african" culture because Africa is not a country of a single group of people. So I found that there are cultural differences within the continent itself. I suppose that there are broad differences like the "western experience" versus the "african experience" that you could research. It's definitely complicated, especially because my "american" experience probably isn't closely related to many others unless we have similar backgrounds. I found that my fiance's background is not the same as other groups within Ghana like the Ashanti or Akan. In terms of what I think could help my relationship and understanding my future husband, I have really targeted my focus on him and his tribe and his religion. I think that maybe in the future, or maybe our children, will be interested in broader research and understanding of all the cultural emergences on the continent of Africa.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's wonderful that u want to learn about the African culture...but the continent of Africa is just as diverse in its countries as other continents are. There are over 200 tribes in Africa and each has its own traditions and culture. The countries vary as well, as do the state in each country. So what type of information are u wanting? There are alot of wonderful websites u can google and find stuff out, but i agree that learning from the experience of a real person brings so much more clarity!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

I will check that book out.

Even though the cultural tradition is so different from tribe to tribe I think she was looking for some general information about the

sub-saharan male. Each of us could give a brief and general description of daily life in their SO's country.

Timeline

I am talking to myself........hey where is everybody ?

I would be interested how the African ( sub-saharan ) man interacts with his wife or in a relationship, what is expected, what is

negotiated, how is the communication flowing ? What is really different from the western ways in this regard ?

Romance, household chores, children, couple time, socializing........etc. from a traditional viewpoint so we can understand the adjustment

period better and the cultural influence when we are just like what the heck just happened with the deer in the headlight look :o

What , if anything , changes traditionally after the courtship into marriage ?

Looking for ingrained cultural norms to understand his struggle to fit here.

OK now you all can tell me that depends not only on his country and his tribe ( I don't think there is one member here who does not realize Africa

is not a country......we are not in the OT forum here ) but on his personality........yes, I know I know but

lets keep it simple and lighthearted so we can grasp some things here..........paging all African VJ men, enlighten us! I really am interested

from the men's perspective.

Francis where are you ? You had given us a little taste before, we want more.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

In my research I found books on Yoruba/Nigerian culture that you are allowed to read online. Some will allow you to download in .pdf.

Check it out: www.books.google.com

You have to register to read the books online. Not all will allow you to read or download but it's a start.

You call always check out your public library. Check and see if the public library in your area has a website, if so, you can search their database for books on Yoruba, etc culture, request it and pick it up at the front desk. I found a book on Yoruba to English dictionary but not as helpful as the cassette tapes and book I purchased at the airport in Lagos.

Hakeem and I would like to wish you all a Bless and Happy New Year.

Constance

Edited by HakeemConstance

06/13/07 - Sent I-129F

06/14/07 - VSC received petition

06/15/07 - NOA1

06/19/07 - Check cashed EAC # on back of canceled check

06/20/07 - NOA1 Hard Copy received

11/15/07 - NOA2 Approved (no email/no touches)

11/16/07 - Touched

11/26/07 - Called 202-663-1225 Given Case number and petition is loaded (electronically submitted to Lagos)

11/21/07 - NVC mailed to Lagos DHL

11/27/07 - Arrived Lagos Consulate (signed by Godwin)

12/06/07 - Received interview date from State Department (202) 663-1225

12/12/07 - Email from Lagos Embassy packets ready for pickup

01/16/08 - Hakeem picked up packets

02/06/08 - Interview scheduled in Lagos

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Here is what I know: my fiance has said that he does not mind doing domestic chores as long as I don't go telling his friends about it :jest::ph34r::whistle::lol::devil::P

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
I have been on the hunt to read up on the African Culture- I thought what better way to get more information and learn about some things that I still do not know than to ask my fellow members in the Africa:Sub-Saharan forum. It could be about anything...........that you know to be true that you want to share. I was mainly interested in the male African culture thru my search I saw this book that was written by this author Pete "Oil King" Agbo- Loving the African male: What every women must know. Have anyone read this book? Would also like to hear your reviews on the book if you have read it. I am posting to gain more knowledge.....KNOWLEDGE IS POWER :yes::yes::yes:

I checked this book out Forchika and it sounds exactly what I am looking for.............it is ordered and I can wait to read it.

Thank you for this excellent suggestion. It is full of practical advice and examples about communication, romance, finances, children,

food issues etc. ........awesome!

Have you read it ?

Also wondering some of the same things Omoba????? I like your idea of keeping it simple also..... Like one topic of discussion right now that we have had is about the house work and the kids, it falls along the lines of the way I was brought up also, he states that as long as young kids are in the house there are certain things that we should not have to do..... I happen to agree. We have two age 10 and 12 who may be a little behind due to my own lack of starting them late and staying on them to get things done. I can remember when I was in Nigeria they had a little girl that stayed with them that helped cook and take care of the baby and she also would run small errands. I was really shocked because she seemed so young but handled things so well. We all know the basics about how important the family and(I like when I here mum call and she says" I just called to hear your voice")religion are (he has not missed a Sunday at church since he has been here, still prays everyday and fast every week)

Thanks for the link HakeemConstance, I went to the local library..........did not find anything there, I will keep searching on line.

I checked this book out Forchika and it sounds exactly what I am looking for.............it is ordered and I can wait to read it.

Thank you for this excellent suggestion. It is full of practical advice and examples about communication, romance, finances, children,

food issues etc. ........awesome!

Have you read it ?

Ur Welcome,

Not Yet, but I will order it at amazon.com tonight.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Here is what I know: my fiance has said that he does not mind doing domestic chores as long as I don't go telling his friends about it :jest::ph34r::whistle::lol::devil::P

A very diplomatic angle :lol:

Isn't that men in general? You know they have to uphold that macho image!!!!!!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Also wondering some of the same things Omoba????? I like your idea of keeping it simple also..... Like one topic of discussion right now that we have had is about the house work and the kids, it falls along the lines of the way I was brought up also, he states that as long as young kids are in the house there are certain things that we should not have to do..... I happen to agree. We have two age 10 and 12 who may be a little behind due to my own lack of starting them late and staying on them to get things done. I can remember when I was in Nigeria they had a little girl that stayed with them that helped cook and take care of the baby and she also would run small errands. I was really shocked because she seemed so young but handled things so well. We all know the basics about how important the family and(I like when I here mum call and she says" I just called to hear your voice")religion are (he has not missed a Sunday at church since he has been here, still prays everyday and fast every week)

Thanks for the link HakeemConstance, I went to the local library..........did not find anything there, I will keep searching on line.

About children and housework, that reminds me of when my fiance said to me that his 15 year old daughter cooks his meals and I said

she whaaaaaat ..........well when you are both here I will cook for her..........he busted out laughing in disbelief and both of them thought that was funny. :wacko: well, I just have to make a believer out of them won't I ?

I agree teenagers here in the US are so spoiled rotten and their idle mind leads to trouble. Just asking them to take the trash out is met by constant whining.

Glad mine are raised and waiting to hear their kids whine next.....while I will smile to myself.

Timeline

A very diplomatic angle :lol:

Isn't that men in general? You know they have to uphold that macho image!!!!!!

Oh yeah you know it ! Maybe we can use that as a future bribe.....mop that floor or I will call the guys at the office and tell them you dusted the furniture

with the pink feather duster while you were wearing your apron and I have the picture to prove it..............just being a meanie and don't even care if he does housework, well ok maybe once in a while. Repairs , maintenance and yard work would be great if he would do that.....I despise that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.