30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Legally, she doe not need to prove anything again, but the practical implications of not getting an unrestricted Social Security card or I-551 stamp could mean losing her job because her employer doesn't know the rules. I'm sure she would win a lawsuit in the end, but where is she going to get the money to sue without a job? Not to mention how long it takes for lawsuits to go to court.

If the issue can be resolved by getting an I-551 stamp, I'd suggest doing that, rather than refusing on principle and inviting so much potential hassle.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Thank you very much for all your inputs. We called USCIS. It is suggested that employers can check with USCIS. That's what I told my employer. I hope she will really do so.

I work in a big company. I think if I do not "remind"them, they would never noticed that my greencard is expiring. I was doing my part to prevent any unwanted consequences. Although my husband thinks I should not have reminded them.

If she refuses to verify, I will have to do in Infopass to get I-551 stamp. This is my plan so far.

Thanks everyone again! Happy new year!

Rebecca

.png

eau_xplain, thank you for the advice. I do have SS card with the notation and I do have a DL. I can advice my employer about this point too.

.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I work in a big company. I think if I do not "remind"them, they would never noticed that my greencard is expiring. I was doing my part to prevent any unwanted consequences. Although my husband thinks I should not have reminded them.

Rebecca,

I don't want to rub any more salt into the wound, but seriously, do not ever "remind"

anyone that your green card is about to expire.

Regardless of the expiration date of your green card, your status does not expire, ever.

As far as your employer is concerned, once a permanent resident, always a permanent

resident -- unless USCIS says otherwise.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I work in a big company. I think if I do not "remind"them, they would never noticed that my greencard is expiring. I was doing my part to prevent any unwanted consequences.

.........and unfortunately what you ended up with was exactly what you wanted to avoid....

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
Thank you very much for all your inputs. We called USCIS. It is suggested that employers can check with USCIS. That's what I told my employer. I hope she will really do so.

If she refuses to verify, I will have to do in Infopass to get I-551 stamp. This is my plan so far.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Can you get a SSC without the notification? that would probably be something good to have for the future.

I dug around somemore to try to understand for myself.... and you might just be ok.

Here's the Employer's Manual. Check out Section 7, Q33's "NOTE:" section in italics.... I think you should be ok, just as mawilson said.

K1 Visa : Singapore (yeng) /Oregon (charlie)

Nov 12, '03: NOA 1 online

Mar 29, '04: RFE mailed out (139 days)

Apr 01, '04: RFE received in the mail (sent in wrong birth cert!)

Apr 09, '04: Mailed back RFE (Go USPS!!!)

Apr 15, '04: RFE received by USCIS (online)

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 10, '04: Letter received from NVC

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

Jun 18, '04: mailed off DS-230 (singapore procedure)

Jun 23, '04: received interview date letter from embassy

Jul 09, '04: Interview - SUCCESS!!

Jul 14, '04: Pick up passport with K1 Visa

Aug 12, '04: Arrive at LAX and clear immigration with ease.

Sep 04, '04: WEDDING!!!!

AOS (Portland, OR)

Oct 28, '04: mailed off AOS, EAD & AP to Portland by Priority Mail

Nov 20, '04: received AP and EAD appt letter for Dec 9.

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Jan 11, '05: initial AOS interview date but we need to reschedule.

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

Mar 16, '05: AOS interview - FINALLY!

Apr 27, '05: Received temp card (I-551)

May still receiving welcome NOAs (5 so far)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

Timeline

My employer refused to accept my US passport when I was hired three months ago. They wanted my social security card and state ID. Legally they should not have done that. I did point out to them that all that was required was the passport. They asked me to give them the social security card anyway because they needed it for tax records. I decided to drop it then. I could have protested, but I'm sure they could have found some reason not to hire me.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
My employer refused to accept my US passport when I was hired three months ago. They wanted my social security card and state ID. Legally they should not have done that. I did point out to them that all that was required was the passport. They asked me to give them the social security card anyway because they needed it for tax records. I decided to drop it then. I could have protested, but I'm sure they could have found some reason not to hire me.

Wow, that's bad. It CLEARLY stipulates that they are not allowed to tell you what they want to see. Was it a small company or maybe the person who verified your documents was not used to anything else other than seeing the SSC and DL (which is what most people show). You are right though, they probably would've found some other reason to not to hire you if you protested.... or made your work-life miserable if you did and they did hire you anyway. :(

K1 Visa : Singapore (yeng) /Oregon (charlie)

Nov 12, '03: NOA 1 online

Mar 29, '04: RFE mailed out (139 days)

Apr 01, '04: RFE received in the mail (sent in wrong birth cert!)

Apr 09, '04: Mailed back RFE (Go USPS!!!)

Apr 15, '04: RFE received by USCIS (online)

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 10, '04: Letter received from NVC

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

Jun 18, '04: mailed off DS-230 (singapore procedure)

Jun 23, '04: received interview date letter from embassy

Jul 09, '04: Interview - SUCCESS!!

Jul 14, '04: Pick up passport with K1 Visa

Aug 12, '04: Arrive at LAX and clear immigration with ease.

Sep 04, '04: WEDDING!!!!

AOS (Portland, OR)

Oct 28, '04: mailed off AOS, EAD & AP to Portland by Priority Mail

Nov 20, '04: received AP and EAD appt letter for Dec 9.

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Jan 11, '05: initial AOS interview date but we need to reschedule.

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

Mar 16, '05: AOS interview - FINALLY!

Apr 27, '05: Received temp card (I-551)

May still receiving welcome NOAs (5 so far)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

Timeline

Although I pointed it out to them, I wasn't about to make it a federal case. My company made me a very generous offer and even paid relocation when they hired me on. I'm sure they just were doing what they always had done. My company is quite sizeabe, but the office I'm based out of is a pretty small group.

I don't ever recall being asked for my social security card when I was a federal government contractor. They always took my passport no questions asked.

Bottom line is that an employer may not necessarily be actiing maliciously when asking for specific documents. They may just not know any better.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Your NOA states very clearly that it extends your permanent resident status for one year, with work and travel permitted.

I would take the NOA to your employer and make a copy of it for your personnel file. You are definitely entitled to keep on working while you await approval of your 10-yr GC.

:thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Although I pointed it out to them, I wasn't about to make it a federal case. My company made me a very generous offer and even paid relocation when they hired me on. I'm sure they just were doing what they always had done. My company is quite sizeabe, but the office I'm based out of is a pretty small group.

I don't ever recall being asked for my social security card when I was a federal government contractor. They always took my passport no questions asked.

Bottom line is that an employer may not necessarily be actiing maliciously when asking for specific documents. They may just not know any better.

If they READ the I-9 form it states what is accpeted. List A has the US Passport. If you use something from List B you will need to provide other ID from List C.

Maybe the Person that verify the documents, does not know how to read and understand English.

Filed: Timeline

That's just wrong (laughs) to the OP, you have done everything correctly. If you lose your job you have a very good case, i know it isn't comfort for you but god help the next one who is in your place.

If they READ the I-9 form it states what is accpeted. List A has the US Passport. If you use something from List B you will need to provide other ID from List C.

Maybe the Person that verify the documents, does not know how to read and understand English.

All this talk about suing the employer is really bad advice. Is this a contracted employment or is it at will, the latter giving the employer the right to terminate the employment w/o a reason?

The best option is to improve the communication with the HR dept. or whoever is dealing with your immigration paperwork. Give them a file with the copy of the letter, copy of the greencard, and an excerpt from the immigration law explaining the 751 and the extension letter. If you are seriously concerned about keeping your job, don't even think twice about the I-551 stamp. Getting it will clear up this mess instantly, why are you waiting??

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
All this talk about suing the employer is really bad advice. Is this a contracted employment or is it at will, the latter giving the employer the right to terminate the employment w/o a reason?

"At will" doesn't give the employer carte blanche to terminate employees for any reason.

They cannot fire a person for being black or gay or, in this case, having an expired

green card.

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Can you get a SSC without the notification? that would probably be something good to have for the future.

I dug around somemore to try to understand for myself.... and you might just be ok.

Here's the Employer's Manual. Check out Section 7, Q33's "NOTE:" section in italics.... I think you should be ok, just as mawilson said.

You could simply present the HR Manager at your place of employment this excerpt taken from the source cited above, and noted as a prohibited practice for employers....

Request that, during reverification, an employee present a new unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) if he or she presented an EAD during initial verification. For reverification, each employee must be free to choose to present any document either from List A or from List C. Refugees and asylees may possess EADs, but they are authorized to work based on their status (as are any LPRs), and may possess other documents that prove work authorization from List A or List C to show upon reverification, such as an unrestricted Social Security card.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.