Ban Hammer

Inmate says he needs Thor's hammer, drum

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

SALT LAKE CITY - An inmate is suing the Utah Department of Corrections for denying him his right to practice an ancient Nordic religion while behind bars.

Michael Polk is serving time for aggravated assault and robbery. He filed a lawsuit against corrections officials in federal court, accusing them of denying him religious items that he says are necessary to practice the Asatru religion.

The religion worships ancient Nordic gods like Odin, Thor, Tyr and Heimdal.

In the lawsuit, Polk says he has been a member of the Asatru faith since 2005, and in order to properly practice it he needs items including: a Thor's Hammer, a prayer cloth, a Mead Horn used for drinking Wassail, a drum made of wood and boar skin, a rune staff and a sword.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:bonk:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Inmates have rights!!!!!???? :unsure: The only right they have is a good azz pounding by bubba lol.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

celebrate diversity.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline

None of those items are "required" for the religion of Asatru.

Asatru is a modern reconstruction of the ancient religion of the Nordic peoples (ie: Vikings, et al). Odinism/Asatru wasn't subjected to the same eradication by the Church that the Celtic religions were. The Eddas and Sagas remained to allow the religion to be reborn with little deviance (we assume) from the original. The main difference between the original and modern Asatru is the lack of the animal sacrifice and feast during the 'Blots'. Today, alcohol is a typical sacrifice.

Thor's hammer is, as mentioned, typically a pendant. It would be a matter of making a shank, rather than hammering out a wall.

The only "freedom of religion" right that the prisoner is really owed is the ability to practice his religion. That means a quiet place, and access to the Eddas and Sagas; just as a Christian would have access to a chapel and a bible.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Note that he also asked for a rune staff (I suspect it has to be large enough for the runes to be readable) and a sword (that one can certainly become a weapon, no matter what size).

Best compromise is: let GUARDS practice it, using a balsa-hammer with Polk's head being the drum! :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Timeline

In another article I read about this, and IIRC, the guy has been in prison since 2003, and converted while inside. Which is fine, but he probably doesn't have access to a lot of books about it, nor a teacher, so he's obviously a little confused about what he does and does not need. As Platypus mentioned, those items are representative of the Asatru religion, but they are not required to practice it.

A friend of mine is a Wiccan volunteer at a local prison (She's got guys from a few different Pagan paths in her group) and in the past year or so they have taken away a lot of the basic rights of her group. She can't even lend them books anymore, and they can't keep books in their cells. But the Christians can keep their bibles.

While I don't agree with the inmate who says he "needs" all of those items, (too much opportunity to make weapons, or sell them to someone else to make as a weapon) I do think that people of any religion should be given the same courtesy as Christianity. If the Christians are allowed their bibles and a chapel and their time on Sunday to worship, then other religions should be offered the same, whatever the equivalent. If there are any Muslim inmates who are allowed prayer rugs, and time out 6 or 7 times per day to pray, then other religions should be offered their equivalent. If Jewish inmates are allowed to observe all of their holy days, and given kosher meals, and access to a Rabbi, then so should the Pagan inmates be allowed to celebrate their holy days, and should have access to a Priest or Priestess of their path.

This is America after all. Freedom of Religion is guaranteed by the constitution.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

yes, let's give all the inmates swords!

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

In another article I read about this, and IIRC, the guy has been in prison since 2003, and converted while inside. Which is fine, but he probably doesn't have access to a lot of books about it, nor a teacher, so he's obviously a little confused about what he does and does not need. As Platypus mentioned, those items are representative of the Asatru religion, but they are not required to practice it.

A friend of mine is a Wiccan volunteer at a local prison (She's got guys from a few different Pagan paths in her group) and in the past year or so they have taken away a lot of the basic rights of her group. She can't even lend them books anymore, and they can't keep books in their cells. But the Christians can keep their bibles.

While I don't agree with the inmate who says he "needs" all of those items, (too much opportunity to make weapons, or sell them to someone else to make as a weapon) I do think that people of any religion should be given the same courtesy as Christianity. If the Christians are allowed their bibles and a chapel and their time on Sunday to worship, then other religions should be offered the same, whatever the equivalent. If there are any Muslim inmates who are allowed prayer rugs, and time out 6 or 7 times per day to pray, then other religions should be offered their equivalent. If Jewish inmates are allowed to observe all of their holy days, and given kosher meals, and access to a Rabbi, then so should the Pagan inmates be allowed to celebrate their holy days, and should have access to a Priest or Priestess of their path.

This is America after all. Freedom of Religion is guaranteed by the constitution.

True about BOOKS.

But what if the religion that the inmate claims is one that never actually had any (such as medieval Incan or Aztec)?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
But what if the religion that the inmate claims is one that never actually had any (such as medieval Incan or Aztec)?

I would suppose in lieu of that, certain historical study works, copies of codices, etc, would suffice. That said, I am not sure who would really want to practice such a self-hating religion (human sacrifice as an intregal part aside) as native Aztec belief was, but there are takers for all things, I guess.

Filed: Timeline

I would suppose in lieu of that, certain historical study works, copies of codices, etc, would suffice. That said, I am not sure who would really want to practice such a self-hating religion (human sacrifice as an intregal part aside) as native Aztec belief was, but there are takers for all things, I guess.

Erm..... "We are all born in sin. We are imperfect and all fall short of God's grace." etc etc.

Self-Hate seems to me to be common to many religions....

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Erm..... "We are all born in sin. We are imperfect and all fall short of God's grace." etc etc.

Self-Hate seems to me to be common to many religions....

Part of the reason I am not Christian. I don't agree with that particular point of it, among other things. There is also the bizarre problem of why Jesus who is also God if you accept the Trinity would essentially sacrifice himself to himself to solve a problem he created himself. But beyond the point of this thread about non-Abrahamic religions. :whistle:

Edited by Wacken

Filed: Other Timeline

Quite a lot of the ancient Pagan religions did not have written record of their religious practice. Reconstructionists go by historical and archeological evidence to recreate a modern day equivalent as best we can. Information for which we find in books, if we are not ourselves lucky enough to be archeologists or time travelers. ;) (oh, to have a Police Box...!)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!