DakotaK1

SSN need to call em

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi

I applied for an SSN# September 26th and still did not recieve it. (I came here on a K1 Visa)

I also got the 90 day EAD Stamp at JFK.

So back in September they said I would get a SSN sent to me,weeks went by and nothing happend.

I called them and they said they need to check back with the homeland security,so I waited on that.

Several more weeks went by and I decided to go to my local office and ask them what the deal is.

This stupid woman looked at my EAD card and said it is running out December 22 and there is nothing she can do.

I was so furious!! Ok I dont want to work but I need to do several other things like open a bank account,do my drivers licence and most important get health insured.

She did give me a piece of paper stating:

We cannot give you a SS Card at this time beacuse the department of Homeland secuirity is unable to verify the immigration document you submitted as evidence of you lawful alien status. You should contact that agency to clarify your current immigration status.

The woman at the SSN office just looked at my I94 card when I went last time and not at my K1 visa. My K1 Visa would run out of date March 8th 2008.

Can anybody let me know what I can do?

I tried calling the SSN office on the toll free number but how do I get a person? What do I say?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hi

I applied for an SSN# September 26th and still did not recieve it. (I came here on a K1 Visa)

I also got the 90 day EAD Stamp at JFK.

So back in September they said I would get a SSN sent to me,weeks went by and nothing happend.

I called them and they said they need to check back with the homeland security,so I waited on that.

Several more weeks went by and I decided to go to my local office and ask them what the deal is.

This stupid woman looked at my EAD card and said it is running out December 22 and there is nothing she can do.

I was so furious!! Ok I dont want to work but I need to do several other things like open a bank account,do my drivers licence and most important get health insured.

She did give me a piece of paper stating:

We cannot give you a SS Card at this time beacuse the department of Homeland secuirity is unable to verify the immigration document you submitted as evidence of you lawful alien status. You should contact that agency to clarify your current immigration status.

The woman at the SSN office just looked at my I94 card when I went last time and not at my K1 visa. My K1 Visa would run out of date March 8th 2008.

The visa is voided at the moment you enter the country, the date on the visa is the when you need to enter the country by the visa expiration date has nothing to do with anything once you enter the country. After enter the country the visa clock stops and the I-94 clock starts.

It takes a few weeks after entering the country on a K-1 visa for DHS to update the data base used by SSA to confirm immigrations status. You have to apply for SSN no later than 76 days after entry, after than you need EAD card or Green-Card to apply for SSN. No calling them will help.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Yes but I did apply in time thats just it,I came to the US in September and applied in September and did not get it.

Just went to back to the office in December and they said they could not issue it to me.

She told me to come back with the EAD of my AOS :(

Edited by DakotaK1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Yes but I did apply in time thats just it,I came to the US in September and applied in September and did not get it.

Just went to back to the office in September and they said they could not issue it to me.

She told me to come back with the EAD of my AOS :(

Should have persisted in September or even in October, but now it is too late. Many clerks at the SSA office are unfamiliar with the K-1 and wont issue a number, sometimes it requires talking to a supervisor, or calling SSA soon after the encounter, SSA will then contact the office and chew some ash, some times others just go to another SSA office, and finds someone who knows the K-1.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline

At this point you are SOL on getting an SSN or card based on the K-1 status. Is it possible that the SSN was assigned, but you just didn't receive the card?

Plus if the SSN wasn't assigned and the application is still pending, everyone should keep this in the memory bank when someone asks how long it takes to be assigned an SSN and someone tells them a couple weeks.

Edited by I Quit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Virginia... remember, at this point, with the K1 expired and the AOS in process, even if you had a SSN you will not be able to obtain a Missouri driver license anyway - because you have no proof of lawful presence in the US. Missouri 'Show Me Proof-guidelines' http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/drivers/idrequirements.pdf

As soon as you get the EAD card go to the social security office and the DMV, they will issue both then, SSN and DL.

I know it sucks... I was in the very same boat...

Getting a bank account ain't a problem without SSN.

Did Luke check with his health insurance? Many times you can be added without SSN or use that letter that you have stating that they can't issue one right now, that should help as well. Have him figure it out, often spouses can only be added to health insurances up to 30 days after the marriage.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Timeline

Danke dir Meike,ja er hat angerufen und Boegen zum Ausfuellen mit Heimgebraucht,die machen einen riesen Terz weil ich keine SSN# habe.

Hatte mich desswegen gestern wieder aufgeregt.

Du bist die beste danke fuer deine Hilfe.

Edited by DakotaK1

Timeline

Was für Arschgeigen... das kann doch echt nicht wahr sein.

Um Deine Nerven zu schonen: Du brauchst jetzt echt nicht beim ss office vorzusprechen, die machen einfach gar nix, bis Du EAD hast, auch wenn Du im Recht bist, weil Du ja zeitnah die blöde SSN beantragt hast.

Bei der Krankenversicherung müssten die diesen Brief wegen ss doch aber akzeptieren, Du kannst die Nummer doch in spätestens 3 Monaten nachreichen.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Filed: Timeline

Thanks you, it called Meike and home-used elbows for filling out with, which make a giant third because I no SSN # have. Had me the because of yesterday again excited. You are the best thank for your assistance.

Which for @ss-played the violin.. that cannot be true nevertheless genuinly. In order to preserve your nerves: You need to pronounce now genuinly not on ss office, those make simply nix, until you have EAD, even if you are in the right, because you requested time near the bloede SSN. During the health insurance would have this letter because of ss nevertheless however to accept, you can the number nevertheless in at the latest 3 months supply later.

Thanks to Babel Fish Translation LOL

Timeline
Thanks you, it called Meike and home-used elbows for filling out with, which make a giant third because I no SSN # have. Had me the because of yesterday again excited. You are the best thank for your assistance.

Which for @ss-played the violin.. that cannot be true nevertheless genuinly. In order to preserve your nerves: You need to pronounce now genuinly not on ss office, those make simply nix, until you have EAD, even if you are in the right, because you requested time near the bloede SSN. During the health insurance would have this letter because of ss nevertheless however to accept, you can the number nevertheless in at the latest 3 months supply later.

:lol: brilliant

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Timeline

Goofball that cracked me up.

That just shows that the transulators online are great :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
@ss-played the violin.. that cannot be true nevertheless genuinly.

:no: Cracked me up

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.