sean126

Taxes and write offs

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

Heres a question I don't recall seeing....

We've almost hit the 2 year mark, we will need to do the next step in removing her conditions as a permanent resident and we send money to her mother each month in Colombia. Can I or can she deduct the support I/she sends her mother every month on my/our/her taxes?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Now, that is a good one. You made me smile...........God, I wish!!!!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline

To be able to claim the your mother-in-law as a dependant you would need to be providing over half of her total support, she would need to have an income lower than $3500 and she would need to be resident in the US or a USC residing abroad and have a SSN or ITIN....

The money you send every month would be classed as a gift.... and you can not clain it on your 1040 unless she is a registered charity...... and of course you have a receipt...

Kez

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've been trying to look it up and someone can correct me if I'm wrong....but it looks like the most you can deduct is about $850 and maybe a little more if she's over 65. I don't believe she has to be living in a certain country, as long as they get a ITIN.

Yeah, I basically pay her total bills. She's unable to work and has zero income. If it's only $850 then that's not really alot to compensate for a probable audit, I guess.

Filed: Timeline
I've been trying to look it up and someone can correct me if I'm wrong....but it looks like the most you can deduct is about $850 and maybe a little more if she's over 65. I don't believe she has to be living in a certain country, as long as they get a ITIN.

Yeah, I basically pay her total bills. She's unable to work and has zero income. If it's only $850 then that's not really alot to compensate for a probable audit, I guess.

Your Mother-in-law will not qualify as a dependant as she will not meet the Resident test unless she lives in Mexico or Canada.... so you will not be able to claim any support paid... see the link to Publication 501 for full details...

Citizen or Resident Test

You cannot claim a person as a dependent un-less that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or

Mexico, for some part of the year.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Kez

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks Kez. When my wife was telling me about her friend's husband deducting....I didn't ask where she's from. I found out today that she is from Mexico.

Mexican immigrants can write off their dependents back home?

How convenient. :blink:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thanks Kez. When my wife was telling me about her friend's husband deducting....I didn't ask where she's from. I found out today that she is from Mexico.

Mexican immigrants can write off their dependents back home?

How convenient. :blink:

ain't that the truth! :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!