IR5FORMUMSIE

Recipe Board

131 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The Pavlova is one of my favorite desserts, I haven't made it in a while but it's different and deliciousssssss

3 Egg whites

3 tablespoons cold water

1 Cup fine sugar

1 teaspoon Vinegar

1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence

3 teaspoons Cornflour

Beat egg whites until stiff, add cold water and beat again. Add sugar very gradually while still beating. Slow beater and add vinegar, vanilla and cornflour. Place on greased paper on greased tray and bake at 150 degrees © (300 F) for 45 minutes, then leave to cool in the oven.

Once cool, cover entire pavlova with whipped cream and top with kiwi fruit.

pavlova.jpg

Okee.. so tried the pavlova tonite (not this exact recipe but one similar).. the chef said that having eggs at room temp is the secret to this recipe.. But mine didn't get stiff like the recipe called for.. it was only about 1/2 inch tall.. doesn't look ANYTHING like what the picture above is.. any ideas kids?? I only have an electric hand mixer.. I want to master this recipe.. please teach this little grasshopper!!!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Okee.. so tried the pavlova tonite (not this exact recipe but one similar).. the chef said that having eggs at room temp is the secret to this recipe.. But mine didn't get stiff like the recipe called for.. it was only about 1/2 inch tall.. doesn't look ANYTHING like what the picture above is.. any ideas kids?? I only have an electric hand mixer.. I want to master this recipe.. please teach this little grasshopper!!!

Did you whip the egg whites until they formed soft peaks before adding the sugar a little at a time?

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is my all time favorite recipe:

Step 1. Give husband some booty.

Step 2. Tell husband where I want to go for dinner.

Edited by MissStacey

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol::lol::lol: Although I thought it was the other way around. :lol::lol::lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
OK. By popular demand here is where you post your favourite recipe. It doesn't matter what it is (even refried dog poop :lol: ) just post it. I doesn't matter if you studied at the Cordon Bleu, we want to know. There may be people with limited kitchen abilities reading (men primarily :lol: , but some of us guys do cook pretty damn well) so be as detailed as possible. Now if anyone can remember the recipe for orange ice-box cookies, I'd be much obliged.

I'll start.

Froot Loops.

Get box of Froot Loops.

Put in big honkin' bowl.

Add milk.

Eat.

Get Diabetes and watch teeth rot out.

Serves no one. :lol:

But...what do I add first? Milk, or the cereal? :devil:

*goes back to read the instructions* :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Did you whip the egg whites until they formed soft peaks before adding the sugar a little at a time?

I thought I did.. perhaps my perceptions of soft peaks is different.. *sigh.. so frustrating.. I remember my mother saying she never could make meringue and last night I thought her curse was coming right back to haunt me!! :) tee hee..

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

I thought I did.. perhaps my perceptions of soft peaks is different.. *sigh.. so frustrating.. I remember my mother saying she never could make meringue and last night I thought her curse was coming right back to haunt me!! :) tee hee..

Soft peaks is when you pull out the mixer and the meringue forms a kind of snowman effect, with the top of the meringue falling over but maintaining a mound. (Remaining standing up pointy would be stiff peaks.) Another thing to look for if your meringues don't come out is if you get some yolk in them when separating the eggs. Any bit of yolk will prevent a meringue from forming. Good luck with take two! :thumbs:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

Soft peaks is when you pull out the mixer and the meringue forms a kind of snowman effect, with the top of the meringue falling over but maintaining a mound. (Remaining standing up pointy would be stiff peaks.) Another to look for if your meringues don't come out is if you get some yolk in them when separating the eggs. Any bit of yolk will prevent a meringue from forming. Good luck with round two! :thumbs:

Ahhhh well that might be the kicker..

Okay, so i have NO clue what soft peaks is :) I did have a bit of yolk in it.. that's probably what happened then.. a combo of me not knowing how to bake, and my inability to separate an egg!! :D

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Soft peaks is when you pull out the mixer and the meringue forms a kind of snowman effect, with the top of the meringue falling over but maintaining a mound. (Remaining standing up pointy would be stiff peaks.) Another to look for if your meringues don't come out is if you get some yolk in them when separating the eggs. Any bit of yolk will prevent a meringue from forming. Good luck with round two! :thumbs:

Ahhhh well that might be the kicker..

Okay, so i have NO clue what soft peaks is :) I did have a bit of yolk in it.. that's probably what happened then.. a combo of me not knowing how to bake, and my inability to separate an egg!! :D

Okay..okay...I'll let you all in on the secret!

1) chill your beaters and bowl - which must be glass or metal bowl - do NOT use a plastic bowl...it's greasy...you'll never get the grease off a plastic bowl!

2) your eggs will increase in volume if you leave them out of the fridge for 30 min. before beating

3) Never, NEVER get yolk in the eggwhites. Crack each egg in a seperate small bowl before adding to the bigger bowl. If you have some yolk in one cracked egg (in the small bowl) put it away, and use later. Crack a new egg.

4) Egg whites contain water, so you need a stabilizer with them. Acid. So...put a pinch of cream of tartar in the whites. If you don't have this, or can't find it, a sprinkle of lemon juice will work as will a little vinegar.

5) Start mixing slowly and then speed up mixer when the foam develops. Slowly incorporate sugar at this point. One or two tablespoons at a time.

Hope this helps!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

EXCELLENT tips Carla! :thumbs: Not using a plastic bowl is key. I never use cream of tartar but it is definitely recommended when there's high humidity or runny whites. Funny how you take knowing things for granted until you start analysing where it all went wrong. :lol:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

Good tips Carla

Homemade Macaroni and cheese (a sure fire hit for about 40 years..my Mom started making this when my parents were first married)

3 cups elbow (or other) macaroni...cooked and set aside (= about 6 cups)

2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use medium, any type is fine) - save time and buy already shredded from grocery store

2 tbsp butter - melt gently in a small saucepan - low temp for now

2 tbsp flour - stir into melted butter

Whisk in 1½c milk (I use skim, any is fine) a little at a time into the butter/flour mixture

Turn up heat slightly (Med-Low) and stir occasionally until the sauce thickens. This is a White sauce so don't let it boil or forget to stir, it will thicken on you quickly and then stick to the bottom if you don't pay attention :) Remove from heat if ready...can always add a drizzle of milk to thin later.

In a 3 qt Corning Ware casserole or 9x13 glass baking pan...layer ½ macaaroni, then cheese, then drizzle sauce evenly. repeat with another layer.

Bake at 375 for 30 mins

I add diced, cooked ham in each layer or cut up hotdogs...yum yum. I have been known to vary the amount of cheese and sauce....

Once you've made this once, you won't want anything else and it takes about 25 minutes to make in total. Do the pasta while you're making the sauce and VOILA!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Cool - it's a hit every time. You can make it the night before and leave unbaked & covered in the fridge to put in a cold oven when you get home too.

leftovers....if there are any, are great too!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

:lol::lol::lol: Although I thought it was the other way around. :lol::lol::lol:

Sounds about right.

:lol::star::lol:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.