Udella&Wiz

What the heck did they do to the Heinz Ketchup???

310 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I can't wait to go to Canada in January, I'm gonna have to check this out. I haven't noticed too many differences. Some things are better and some are definitely not. Tim Horton's hot chocolate is by far the best hot chocolate I've ever had. It's sweet and fluffy mmmmmmmm. Starbucks coffee drinks are better tho if you want real coffee. Tim's doesn't even taste like coffee

shhh, don't say that too loud in here... :unsure::P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing. I must say I don't really care for ketchup (catsup) at all, but love salsa! Both Canadian and U.S. versions of ketchup seem very bland to me. I did however have Habitant Tomato Chow Chow for the first time over the holidays in Montreal and loved it! I am trying to find out where to get it here in Florida (not necessarily the Habitant brand) I think the chow chow is more of a relish though. That is also probably why I like it.

I-129F / K-1

03/24/2007 - Mailed I-129F

03/29/2007 - Arrived in Texas

04/04/2007 - NOA1 Sent, Case transferred to CSC

04/09/2007 - NOA1 Received via USPS

06/28/2007 - Touched

06/29/2007 - NOA2

07/09/2007 - NOA2 Recieved by USPS

07/20/2007 - NVC sent Packet to Montreal Consulate

07/23/2007 - Letter dated 07/23/2007 saying that Packet was sent to Montreal Consulate

07/26/2007 - Letter from NVC saying that Packet was sent to Montreal Consulate received

08/03/2007 - Packet 3 Received from Montreal Consulate

08/20/2007 - Packet 3 Checklist mailed to Montreal Consulate

08/21/2007 - Packet 3 Checklist received at Montreal Consulate

11/08/2007 - Interview Scheduled for this date!!

11/08/2007 - K1 Visa Approved!!!

11/22/2007 - Visa received (Delay was our own)

12/31/2007 - US Entry and K-1 activation

01/20/2007 - US Marriage :)

AOS/AP/EAD

02/22/2008 - AOS/AP/EAD filed

02/29/2008 - AOS/AP/EAD NOA's dated this date

04/15/2008 - Biometrics

04/29/2008 - EAD Approved

05/03/2008 - AP approved

05/07/2008 - EAD card received in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my fill of Tims over Xmas holidays in Stoon. Had my first (and last) tims at Pearson Airport in Toronto, and wasnt impressed!! Coffee tasted different. Tasted great in Stoon though. My friend in Calgary swears they have changed the "recipe" and no longer drinks it.

If anyone cares, the entering the Canada--and re-entering the USA was a breeze. The USA dude never even spoke to my wife and I!! We handed him our passports and my greencard, he immediately returned my cdn passport (never looked in it), stamped our customs card and that was it, not a single word,lol

And it is a sad day, the Dunkin donuts by my place is closing dec 31st!! My waist will be happy, but I do feel bad for the workers, they are such a nice bunch!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I had my fill of Tims over Xmas holidays in Stoon. Had my first (and last) tims at Pearson Airport in Toronto, and wasnt impressed!! Coffee tasted different. Tasted great in Stoon though. My friend in Calgary swears they have changed the "recipe" and no longer drinks it.

If anyone cares, the entering the Canada--and re-entering the USA was a breeze. The USA dude never even spoke to my wife and I!! We handed him our passports and my greencard, he immediately returned my cdn passport (never looked in it), stamped our customs card and that was it, not a single word,lol

And it is a sad day, the Dunkin donuts by my place is closing dec 31st!! My waist will be happy, but I do feel bad for the workers, they are such a nice bunch!

Awesome news Flames!!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

I can't wait to go to Canada in January, I'm gonna have to check this out. I haven't noticed too many differences. Some things are better and some are definitely not. Tim Horton's hot chocolate is by far the best hot chocolate I've ever had. It's sweet and fluffy mmmmmmmm. Starbucks coffee drinks are better tho if you want real coffee. Tim's doesn't even taste like coffee

shhh, don't say that too loud in here... :unsure::P

I love it when people speak of Canada as if it is one village.

The coffee is as different as the people.

West Coast, East Coast, then you have Montreal and Toronto...oh and the Prairies.

Did I make it small enough??

Hahaha!

My point is this, it is a different flavour and culture depending on where you are in the country.

Some people like things bland and light, and others love things dark and strong.

Comparing "Canadian" coffee to "USian" coffee is like comparing hmmmm....I'm stumped...uhm...

I thought I had something and I deleted it.

You cannot compare things that are varied from city to city.

It's not a national thing.

Can anyone help me here???

Just as an aside:

my sweetie, poor misguided thing, drinks Dunkin' donuts coffee, etc.

Then I made him some real coffee.

I think he liked it.

But anyone who drinks their coffee black when they have a natural barista before them needs their head examined. :lol:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Other Timeline

Well actually Timmie's coffee is the same from coast to coast. Its bought and packaged from the same suppliers and sent to all the franchises all the same. Even the Timmie's in the US has the same packaged coffee as the Timmie's in Canada. They just don't seem to have the 20 minute limit in the US stores.

It is entirely possible that Tim's has changed suppliers and that the coffee may be a weaker taste than before. It may also be possible that the kid behind the counter made a "fresh" pot and forgot to put in fresh coffee and re-used the old ones :P It can happen...hubby got up this morning and "made coffee" but forgot to put the coffee in the machine. Bless his heart... :wacko:;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Our return from Quebec was also a breeze. We were a little nervous traveling with the I751 doc extending his greencard for a year. But like your guy, ours took our passport and doc, never bothered to look at them, never made eye contact, never asked any questions and just handed everything back and said OK. Both of us were a bit unsure if we could just drive off with so little interaction so D hesitated a bit and the guy said, "You can go now" so we did! :lol:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

Our return from Quebec was also a breeze. We were a little nervous traveling with the I751 doc extending his greencard for a year. But like your guy, ours took our passport and doc, never bothered to look at them, never made eye contact, never asked any questions and just handed everything back and said OK. Both of us were a bit unsure if we could just drive off with so little interaction so D hesitated a bit and the guy said, "You can go now" so we did! :lol:

My POE guy seemed more interested in a gal that was standing in line! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

My hubby Johnny does not believe me when I tell him that the Ketchup in the US tastes different. He keeps telling me it's in my head! Now I have proof! :wacko: Thank you so much! :thumbs:

Modano (Kandy) ~ Canada ------ Johnny ~ USA

04/22/05 ~ Moved to the US

06/18/05 ~ Married!! Woo Hoo!

06/22/05 ~ Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago

06/27/05 ~ Applied for SSN

07/05/05 ~ Received SS card via Mail

07/08/05 ~ NOA's for AOS/AP received

08/24/05 ~ Fingerprinting & Biometrics

03/07/06 ~ I-485 Interview Date

03/07/06 ~ I-485 Approved!

04/13/06 ~ Conditional GC Received

01/04/08 ~ I -751 package mailed to NSC

01/09/08 ~ Confirmation package was received

01/07/08 ~ Cheque cashed - they cashed that in a hurry!

01/15/08 ~ NOA Received dated 01/07/08

01/29/08 ~ Biometrics appointment letter dated 01/25/08

02/12/08 ~ Biometrics appointment

03/13/08 ~ APPROVED!! Green Card has been ordered!

Filed: Other Timeline

mine kept telling me there was no difference between Canadian KD and US Kraft Mac n Cheese. Then I ordered a couple of boxes from Canadian favourites and made him some, and he agreed that the Canadian tastes more cheesey :P I can't be arsed to keep ordering and paying the shipping costs on KD though, so when I make Mac n Cheese here from a package, I put shredded cheese in it for a bit more taste. But even the US cheese is pretty much tasteless and rubbery :P *sigh*

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
mine kept telling me there was no difference between Canadian KD and US Kraft Mac n Cheese. Then I ordered a couple of boxes from Canadian favourites and made him some, and he agreed that the Canadian tastes more cheesey :P I can't be arsed to keep ordering and paying the shipping costs on KD though, so when I make Mac n Cheese here from a package, I put shredded cheese in it for a bit more taste. But even the US cheese is pretty much tasteless and rubbery :P *sigh*

yeah, I always add extra cheese too :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I see No High fructose corn syrup in the canuck version!!!

i realize im digging up the past thread but i havent been here in forever, so im skimming topics.

most american products have HFC in it rather than sugar. pop is one big thing i can think of down here made with HFC instead of the canadian regular sugar. it really makes things taste differently.

TONS of american stuff tastes 100% different down here. fear it (i do) . when we do go to toronto we go shopping at costco and bring home bulk anything. even kraft dinner down here isnt as good as in canada. ( hey now im in my 20s. KD was my world for a bit in toronto) cheeses and milks taste and look differently to me too.

an example thing: Lipton chicken noodle soup. the dehydrated sodium filled, yellow "chunk" of flavour with tiny noodles, packets kind that im obsessed with. the american version is horrible oO the noodles are like the microwaveable soup noodles... the packaging is nearly identical so i was fooled when i thought hey MAYBE this is the same.

i remember making the canadian kind one day and brian had some. his first response was 'wow thats good'. i made him the left over package of the american kind one day because heck i wasnt gonna eat it. he took one bite and dumped it down the sink :x

the other lipton products are different as well. i know i used to make the side dishes "sidekicks" in canada. the noodles or rice dishes if i needed to make a sat dinner side. i made the poor choice if picking up a few bags here that were near identical not figuring it would matter-- boy was i wrong.

i found it quite dissappointing that things that were the same name wise or company, tasted completely different than i had experienced before. if i do see anything recognizable i wont buy it because i know im just going to get let down. brians family used to think i was crazy, so ive actually started to save labels from the canadian products to compare them with the US ones and show them they are different >< heck even popsicles taste differently downhere.

i was in an "enthic" isle in the grocery store ( which was usually something spanish ohh tortillas are ethnic! and maybe some chinese cookies oO) and i saw something on the bottom rack... it caught my eye i bent down and looked it was a half opened case of un frozen "Mr Freeze" jumbo freezies. i LOST IT!

i was on the floor digging through, they were sticky as heck (im guessing some burst) i was wiping them off and loading my cart with any that werent destroyed... i was in heaven. Brians mother who took me shopping at the time, then saw me on the floor and was just boggled at my reaction. i was depressed at the time and the freezies just made my day. we now have 4 cases under our sink from our september trip to canada >< the store here hasnt had them since

so yes take your favourite things with you and if ppl visit get them to bring some along! sauces cereals( which are all also very different)... anything. especially if you enjoy different flavours of BBQ sauce. down here its hot... and bbq, honey bbq.... and thats about it. maybe its just because of where i live , i dunno. i hate change. i have found a few products here i enjoy but im still mourning the loss of many more.

i guess a bright side is im not eating kraft dinner, or side kicks or even ordering pizza while living in the states because i cant stand the flavour, it will be good for my health! ill call it the immigration diet. :)

sorry again for digging up an old thread.

-Natalie and Brian in Lebanon, Ohio

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

Want to see my K1 visa timeline? Click Here

Want to see my AOS timeline? (quick version below)

07-08-05 Mailed AOS packet

12-12-05 AOS approved; no interview

12-17-05 Green card recieved + Welcome letter.

WHERE WE ARE NOW Filing for Citizenship

10 Yr GC petition

11-20-07 I-751 Pkg mailed to Nebraska (here we go again)

11-23-07 Confirmed delivered to PO Box

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

12-07-07 NOA 1 Received in the mail

Our case is now at the Cali SC. The 6 month timer ticks.

12-12-07 Biometrics appointment notice recieved

01-03-08 Biometrics

01-04-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

01-06-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

03-19-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 18, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

03-24-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 22, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED.

~~~~~~

34e1c26.jpg Y!: natalie_c81 AIM: pdd4me81 MSN: nataliec81

Hey Nat, where the hell ya been? Welcome back!

haha i took a break , quite a large one! but browsed now and then and yes its been a while!

i noticed most familiar faces are gone but saw you and a few others still kicking. i havent kept much contact with VJ members aside from Lal.

all is well here though my typing has gotten considerably worse!

how are the St.'s ? its so odd being back really. i filed for my 10yr card and am not really in any particular rush, just just hanging out.

i find it hard coming here only because my cousin, who intends to marry one of brians internet friends (from the states) has chosen to forgo the appropriate line of immigration... because it was "just too complicated" it has ticked me off to an extent, especially after she saw me go through all of it... i directed her here and offered my help to her..... still shes living in the states now and going to school (tho i dont know many ppl that go all the way to california to go to Jr college and take photography :blink: ) and she will magically get married this september and try to pretend it wasnt pre planned oO. we arent going to the wedding.

seeing what ppl are going through on here, tho its not super difficult- a few forms, some cheques and drs visits- makes me want to call uscis and report her butt. at the moment im leaving it up to the system to hopefully catch her and boot her out for 10 years so i can say i told you so.

so yeah, blarg!

anyway ./wave and ill be browsing more frequently now, i feel so out of the loop not knowing many anymore

sorry for hijacking the thread. bring all the food you desire from canada, youre gonna miss it! even plain old chips ahoy dont taste the same :(

Edited by NatalieC

-Natalie and Brian in Lebanon, Ohio

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

Want to see my K1 visa timeline? Click Here

Want to see my AOS timeline? (quick version below)

07-08-05 Mailed AOS packet

12-12-05 AOS approved; no interview

12-17-05 Green card recieved + Welcome letter.

WHERE WE ARE NOW Filing for Citizenship

10 Yr GC petition

11-20-07 I-751 Pkg mailed to Nebraska (here we go again)

11-23-07 Confirmed delivered to PO Box

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

12-07-07 NOA 1 Received in the mail

Our case is now at the Cali SC. The 6 month timer ticks.

12-12-07 Biometrics appointment notice recieved

01-03-08 Biometrics

01-04-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

01-06-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

03-19-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 18, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

03-24-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 22, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED.

~~~~~~

34e1c26.jpg Y!: natalie_c81 AIM: pdd4me81 MSN: nataliec81

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
i was in an "enthic" isle in the grocery store ( which was usually something spanish ohh tortillas are ethnic! and maybe some chinese cookies oO) and i saw something on the bottom rack... it caught my eye i bent down and looked it was a half opened case of un frozen "Mr Freeze" jumbo freezies. i LOST IT!

i was on the floor digging through, they were sticky as heck (im guessing some burst) i was wiping them off and loading my cart with any that werent destroyed... i was in heaven. Brians mother who took me shopping at the time, then saw me on the floor and was just boggled at my reaction. i was depressed at the time and the freezies just made my day. we now have 4 cases under our sink from our september trip to canada >< the store here hasnt had them since

There's a similar variation you can get at the grocery store here. I've seen it at the one near me and it's called Otter Pops. Same thing as the Mr. Freezies minus the white Cream Soda ones (my fav). The blue ones are a bit different too. For some reason they used to make me cough when I had it in Canada, but here they don't. Not sure what that was all about.

I have a couple of boxes still in my freezer, so you might want to check your grocery store for at least a good substitution. They are pretty much the exact same thing...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.