one...two...tree

Fold-up scooters latest way to avoid DUIs

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

1213dui121.jpg

Peter Corbett

The Arizona Republic

A new designated-driver business is throttling up in Scottsdale using fold-up motor scooters to get impaired drivers and their vehicles home safely.

Zingo Arizona's riders put the 64-pound scooters in trunks, take impaired drivers home in their cars and then ride off on the scooters at speeds of up to 33 mph.

The cost - $25 for the first three miles, plus $3 per mile for additional miles - is not pocket change. But public safety officials say it's a far safer and cheaper than the cost of a drunken-driving conviction, which start at about $3,200.

"People have a choice of riding home with the Zingo drivers or they can find themselves riding with an officer and we're probably taking them to jail," said Chief Jack Lane of the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Zingo unveiled its quirky new service Thursday at Dos Gringos in downtown Scottsdale, along with officials from the DPS, Governor's Office of Highway Safety, Discount Cab and Hensley, the Anheuser-Busch beer distributor for the Valley and Prescott.

Hensley is offering $10 coupons in area bars for Zingo's service, reducing the initial cost to $15.

Dos Gringos is offering the service free Thursday to Saturday for the next few weeks.

Zingo is the latest designated-driver service using scooters that have been launched around the country in the past five years. Most feature catchy names like Home James, CityScoot and Wingman.

Michael Ferrante, Zingo Arizona president, said getting an impaired driver's car home overcomes the chief objection most partiers have to taking a ride home in a cab or with a friend.

"We just want people to make better decisions," said Ferrante, adding that some customers call Zingo after having just a few drinks.

Most rides are about three to five miles from the bar.

Zingo launched its business in November with five of the street-legal Di Blasi scooters. The Italian bikes get 130 miles per gallon and sell for $2,595.

A scooter folds in half and is placed in a canvas bag that prevents gasoline and oil leaks in the turnk.

Zingo riders wear bright orange jackets to make them more visible and they stick to lesser-traveled streets to avoid high-speed traffic.

Zingo designated driver Israel Alvarez, 30, said motorists get a chuckle out of the scooters and give them a wide berth on the road.

"I'm not worried," he said of driving in late-night traffic.

One of the occupational hazards of the job is that the impaired drivers always seem to invite the Zingo riders into their homes to resume partying, Alvarez said.

Zingo has a strict policy against fraternization or stunt riding, said Kyle Smith, Zingo operations director.

Zingo hopes to add more scooters and expand its service to Tempe, Phoenix and Tucson.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsd...3dui1213ON.html

Near where I live, you can get cited for what's called a BUI (biking under influence).

05/07/2007 : I-129F Sent

05/29/2007 : NOA1

09/28/2007 : NOA2 (144 days from filing date)

11/02/2007 : NVC Received Case (35 days from NOA2)

11/06/2007 : NVC Sent Case to HCM Consulate

11/16/2007 : HCMC Received Case

11/17/2007 : HCMC Sent Packet 3

11/20/2007 : HCMC Received Packet 3

12/10/2007 : HCMC Called Fiancee (Packet 4 Sent + Interview Date)

12/18/2007 : Packet 4 Received

01/02/2008 : Medical Appointment

01/09/2008 : Interview passed!

01/29/2008 : Visa Received

02/02/2008 : POE @ SFO

Favorite Links:

K1 Process Flowchart

Vietnam Visa Seekers

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I thought it was about riding a scooter under the influence, and then folding it in half

if stopped by the police.

"Scooter? What scooter? I'm just walking home with my suitcase, officer...."

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

the Loo has this also,, the guy drives out on his scooter...folds it up and puts it in your trunk..drives your vehicle to your home and then drives off on the scooter...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
the Loo has this also,, the guy drives out on his scooter...folds it up and puts it in your trunk..drives your vehicle to your home and then drives off on the scooter...

I think my solution is better. You drive to the pub with the scooter in your trunk,

get wasted and ride the scooter back home. Leave the car behind. If you see a cop,

fold up the scooter and walk. :lol:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I think my solution is better. You drive to the pub with the scooter in your trunk,

get wasted and ride the scooter back home. Leave the car behind. If you see a cop,

fold up the scooter and walk. :lol:

that is why you are making the big $$$ and i work in human services, brother MA

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

:lol:

"Hey girl, you want to come back to my apartment with me? Get in my car, and this crusty old guy on a scooter will tow us there."

lol.."yeah, i am sorry you got to ride on the handlebars"

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

I saw something like this in the UK. (Saw a show actually)

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Might be apretty good idea....Is expensive though. Usually people leave the bar/party after their money is spent. haha well, i hope lives are saved anyhow...PROPS to Zingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool :thumbs: There are some charities around here that pay for cabs home during this holiday season

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne