Hilarious Clinton

Muslim hero breaks up train beating

116 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
The people were screaming they killed Jesus and attacked them. That whole concept is ridiculous to me but thats for another topic I guess.... :blink:

Did these idiots also go around attacking Italians, blaming them for what Pilate did? :wacko:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wonder why it was necessary for the journalist to point out the religious orientation of the people involved. Shouldn't it be enough that the guy stepped in and helped, something that has little of anything to do with his being a muslim. The way I read it its almost as though the journalist is somehow surprised that the man didn't join in :wacko:

I wonder why it was necessary for the journalist to point out the religious orientation of the people involved. Shouldn't it be enough that the guy stepped in and helped, something that has little of anything to do with his being a muslim. The way I read it its almost as though the journalist is somehow surprised that the man didn't join in :wacko:

Yes, it was not necessary to point out religious background of those involved. It is also good to see that a Muslim can help a Jew and vice versa to pint it out that these two religious groups can help each other, live together peacefully. Perhaps, the reporter thought this way.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

It wasn't necessary, but it's probably not a bad idea. If the religions had been reversed, people would be screaming about bands of roving terrorists who beat up Jews except when saved by brave Christian crusaders. It would be all about how those savages get violent whenever their religion isn't respected by people who don't belong to it.

It's interesting to see the story on the other foot, so to speak.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline

Well, I personally think it's great that the author did....Muslims have been getting such bad press with all the whack job extremists....it's nice to see them nicely represented at the other end of the spectrum.

And the more stories out there like this one, the more people will let go of their prejudices.

A Muslim putting himself on the line for a Jew.....just makes you have a little more faith in humanity, if ya ask me :luv:

Edited by LisaD

Timeline

Well, I personally think it's great that the author did....Muslims have been getting such bad press with all the whack job extremists....it's nice to see them nicely represented at the other end of the spectrum.

And the more stories out there like this one, the more people will let go of their prejudices.

A Muslim putting himself on the line for a Jew.....just makes you have a little more faith in humanity, if ya ask me :luv:

I dunno - what's the betting we'll never see this headline in print...

"J*w returns missing money"

wow, even if in jest, that's pretty sh!t.

Well yes - that was sort of the point. Any person can return missing money or a lost handbag, step in and stop a fight, or pull a child out of a busy road. Its doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are, or indeed what your cultural background is - they don't dictate a person's behaviour.

I don't object to the story - only the compartmentalising of people in the media according to stereotypes. I can see that this story is a reaction to the other, negative stories - but even so - it strikes me as part of the same problem.

In an ideal world, I'd agree, #6. In the contemporary U.S., counteracting a stereotype is still needed.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline

I dunno - what's the betting we'll never see this headline in print...

"J*w returns missing money"

wow, even if in jest, that's pretty sh!t.

Well yes - that was sort of the point. Any person can return missing money or a lost handbag, step in and stop a fight, or pull a child out of a busy road. Its doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are, or indeed what your cultural background is - they don't dictate a person's behaviour.

I don't object to the story - only the compartmentalising of people in the media according to stereotypes. I can see that this story is a reaction to the other, negative stories - but even so - it strikes me as part of the same problem.

I misread it at first, which is why I edited the comment to delete that bit.

I don't think the original story is part of the same problem....I think it's in response to the problem, and those two things are quite different from each other. Plus, it's a feelgood piece, if you ask me. If there was a repub or dem throwing him/herself under the bus for the other, I think you'd get the same story.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Its doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are, or indeed what your cultural background is - they don't dictate a person's behaviour.

You couldn't be more wrong.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I must agree with Number 6. This is a puff piece that essentially says, "Wow! Those Muslims aren't all murderous zealots after all! Look at this guy! Assisting a Jew, no less!" That this is considered news implies that it is unusual and thus worthy of attention. This may be a story in, say, Gaza City (OK, there probably aren't too many people spreading Hanukkah wishes there, but...), but in New York? Come on. People come to each other's aid all the time in big cities. Incidents on subways and elsewhere are broken up frequently. Usually they don't get much attention.

As No. 6 suggests, turning a good deed into a supposed news story that focuses on the religious backgrounds of the individuals perpetuates the notion that some differences seem insurmountable, but isn't it just precious when people look underneath the yarmulke or hijab to see the person? This story is condescending to Muslims and suggests that Hassan should be commended for not doing the "expected" thing: pushing through the crowd to get a better view or even joining in, of course.

There are more effective and less cartoonish ways of noting tolerance and good relationships among people from different religions and cultures, if that's what one wishes to discuss.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Timeline
Its doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are, or indeed what your cultural background is - they don't dictate a person's behaviour.

Really? That argument is problematic because it puts a question mark over whether a person is responsible for their own behaviour.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Really? That argument is problematic because it puts a question mark over whether a person is responsible for their own behaviour.

They are responsible for their own behaviour, but only within the boundaries dictated by their religion

and culture.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

They are responsible for their own behaviour, but only within the boundaries dictated by their religion

and culture.

If that were true, a person might wonder why the guy described in the article chose to step in and help those people.