openmymall

K1 married before I-94 expired but can't process SS#

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all,

I entered in US as a K1 Visa holder and got married before my I-94 expire which is on December 17, 2007. When we went to the SS Office, they told us that in order to get SS #, you have to be there 2-3 weeks before your visa expired and since we went at the office 5 days before my visa will expire, they can't process my application to get social security anymore.

Is there anyone who can help me with regards to this? Can i still get a Social Security Number after we filed the Employment Authorization on my Adjustment Status?

Hope to hear from you all VJ members.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi same thing happend to me, they told me to bring the work authorization in order to give me my social security card.so after filing the AOS and get the work authorization ,go there again and show them the work authorization and u4ll get the SSC.

2007-11-8 : Married

AOS

2008-3-03 : AOS sent

2008-3-12 : Check cashed

2008-3-14 : Received Receipt Notices of AOS ,EAD and AP

2008-3-17 : Biometrics Appointment notice date

2008-4-03 : Biometrics Appointment ,,,DONE,,,

2008-5-09 : EAD card ordered and AP approval notice

2008-5-13 : AP approval notice sent

2008-5-16 : AP received

2008-5-19 : EAD Approval notice sent

2008-5-21 : EAD received

2008-6-27 : interview appointment letter (for August)

2008-8---- : interview was fine, but was given a RFE, reason: chicken pox shot( although i got the shot when i was little)

2008-10-- : green card

ROC

2010-7-13 : I-751 sent

2010-7-16 : I-751 received

2010-7-20 : I-751 sent back to me. Cause: signatures and filing early.

2010-7-26 : I-751 re-sent

2010-8-09 : First NOA received ( dated 8/2 )

2010-8-12 : Biometrics appointment letter received ( dated 8/6 )

2010-8-19 : Early biometrics

2010-9-08 : Card production ordered

2010-9-15 : Green Card received, with incorrect first name (one letter missing)

I-90

2010-9-16 : Sent I-90 with Green Card

2010-9-17 : I-90 delivered

2010-9-24 : Receipt received. Notice date: 9-22

2011-2-08 : Card production ordered

2011-2-10 : Card received with NO errors.

N400 :

11-22-2011 :Sent

02-21-2012 :Interview ( a long delay afterwards)

05-18-2012 :Oath - US citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
hi same thing happend to me, they told me to bring the work authorization in order to give me my social security card.so after filing the AOS and get the work authorization ,go there again and show them the work authorization and u4ll get the SSC.

Hi,

Is there a time limit to file for the AOS? I mean My visa will expire on the 17th december and we are still saving for the money filing the AOS, we will probably sending the AOS on February

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

Is there a time limit to file for the AOS? I mean My visa will expire on the 17th december and we are still saving for the money filing the AOS, we will probably sending the AOS on February

No time limit. Don't worry about your I-94 expiring in a few days. But the sooner you apply, the sooner you will be able to get your SSN and organise most things you need SSN for! And i hope you have some change after you save and pay AOS fees :)

Good luck with the whole process!

Edited by ausqueen

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.