Nutty

UPDATE FROM NUTTY

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Was given a pink and blue slip.

My husband was told the interview was fine. But that we need a joint sponsor because I was not employed for years 2005 and 2006. Even though I am currently employed and over the poverty requirements.

This I don't understand.

Additionally, he was fingerprinted and told that the results would return in a month.

Now I am scrambling to get my mother's papers ready for joint sponsorship. There is only one concern with this issue, for years 2004 and 2005 my mother income was well over the poverty limits based on WAGES EARNED. But for year 2006 she switched to part time work since she earns social security benefits. I am concerned this will have a negative effect on our application.

Does anyone know if the NVC or Consulate consider all monies from various sources as "INCOME" or do they differentiate and disqualify based on the the source of the income?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I can't recall who this applies to, but I do know that you need to show 3 years of income over the poverty level. I guess some Consulates are more picky than others.

Good luck with everything and I'm sure once you get your Mom to help you will be fine.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Good luck to you Nutty. This is out of my range of experience so I don't have an info to offer. Just moral support. :)

Don't you feel like sometimes asking if they want you to take out your liver and kidney so they can look at that too!!!!!????!!!!!

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

My husband was told the interview was fine. But that we need a joint sponsor because I was not employed for years 2005 and 2006. Even though I am currently employed and over the poverty requirements.

This I don't understand.

Additionally, he was fingerprinted and told that the results would return in a month.

Now I am scrambling to get my mother's papers ready for joint sponsorship. There is only one concern with this issue, for years 2004 and 2005 my mother income was well over the poverty limits based on WAGES EARNED. But for year 2006 she switched to part time work since she earns social security benefits. I am concerned this will have a negative effect on our application.

Does anyone know if the NVC or Consulate consider all monies from various sources as "INCOME" or do they differentiate and disqualify based on the the source of the income?

Well..... depends on what you mean by "monies from various sources."

You can certainly use investment income, rental income, etc. Or you can use assets -- property, stocks, bank accounts, etc. -- but note: the assets have to equal FIVE TIMES the difference between the annual income and 125% of the poverty level. In other words, if you're $5000 under the cutoff, then you would need $25,000 in assets to cover the difference.

"Means-tested public benefits" (Medicaid, Supplemental Security income, food stamps, etc.) cannot be used to satisfy the income requirement.

Keep in mind that your co-sponsor will need to meet 125% of poverty level for the entire household -- that includes your sponsor and any of their dependants, plus you and your husband. For example if it's just your mom living alone, she would need to meet the level for a household of 3 people, or $21,462 annually (125% of $17,170.)

Also, you may combine several co-sponsors to meet the requirement, if one is not enough.

More tips at:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support

Good luck !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Congrats on a successful interview and hope the co-sponser thing works out. I am pretty sure SS income will be counted since it is the same as retirement income and they know she will get it since it is US Government money being sent to her.....but then looking at the current state of our government....

I am glad it went well, plz give details.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

This I don't understand.

Well..... depends on what you mean by "monies from various sources."

You can certainly use investment income, rental income, etc. Or you can use assets -- property, stocks, bank accounts, etc. -- but note: the assets have to equal FIVE TIMES the difference between the annual income and 125% of the poverty level. In other words, if you're $5000 under the cutoff, then you would need $25,000 in assets to cover the difference.

"Means-tested public benefits" (Medicaid, Supplemental Security income, food stamps, etc.) cannot be used to satisfy the income requirement.

Keep in mind that your co-sponsor will need to meet 125% of poverty level for the entire household -- that includes your sponsor and any of their dependants, plus you and your husband. For example if it's just your mom living alone, she would need to meet the level for a household of 3 people, or $21,462 annually (125% of $17,170.)

Also, you may combine several co-sponsors to meet the requirement, if one is not enough.

More tips at:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support

Good luck !

(F)

-MK

thanks for your input.

Trailmix, another poster on the IR-1/CR-1 Forum put a link to the "Adjudicator manual for consular officials. The one paragraph stated that SSI (which is disability) is not allowed to be used as income. However, EARNED INCOME (that income which we are taxed on and receive later) such as Social Security Retirement, Workers Comp and Unemployment are acceptable forms of income.

Congrats on a successful interview and hope the co-sponser thing works out. I am pretty sure SS income will be counted since it is the same as retirement income and they know she will get it since it is US Government money being sent to her.....but then looking at the current state of our government....

Belinda,

What is the situation with you. Aren't you still waiting for Administrative Processing to be finished?

I don't feel so great knowing that we may face the long wait for his fingerprints to be processed.

Nutty, good luck. We were mired in issues of sponsorship/cosponsorship, and it was really difficult. If you can pass this phase, when you file AOS you'll have no problems because they seem to look just at recent income and current employment (we were able to get by without a cosponsor, though I had only been working for a 6 months or so).

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Timeline
I am pretty sure SS income will be counted since it is the same as retirement income and they know she will get it since it is US Government money being sent to her.....but then looking at the current state of our government....

The one paragraph stated that SSI (which is disability) is not allowed to be used as income. However, EARNED INCOME (that income which we are taxed on and receive later) such as Social Security Retirement, Workers Comp and Unemployment are acceptable forms of income.

Exactly -- Social Security income *IS* allowed to be counted as income for sponsorship -- this is essentially your own money.

It's the NON-EARNED benefits like SSI (Supplemental Security income) -- extra government assistance paid for by tax dollars -- that are not allowed to be included.

The government looks at it like this -- if you're already on public assistance and can't meet the income requirement without it, then how will you be able to support your fiance/spouse without even more public assistance ? The government will not accept an immigrant it considers to be at high risk for becoming a public charge.

I don't feel so great knowing that we may face the long wait for his fingerprints to be processed.

Awwww hang in there. The AR depends on so many factors -- it's possible your husband will clear the checks more quickly than you expect. I think it's a very good thing to be prepared for a long wait, but then again who knows ? You could get lucky. So be ready for anything. Just try to get your additional paperwork in as soon as you can -- don't let the dust gather on that file !

Sending you lots more MENA MOJO and positive vibes....

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline
good luck nutty.

and i like yr new picture mk. that's such a movie star moustache.

:P It was indeed the height of fashion....

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.