8 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

Bit of a complex situation on my end...

My girlfriend of 3 years and I have decided to get engaged and get married. I am a greencard holder but not looking to neutralize as I would lose my EU citizenship. Former home country doesn't allow dual citizenship. My girlfriend is a diplomat but also holds a B1/B2 border crossing card. 

I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers on....at least not with the whole diplomat thing being part of the equation. I don't even know if that matters or changes anything. Just throwing it out there.

Would we be able to marry in the US? Would we still need to get a spousal visa before doing so? Not necessarily looking to do adjustment of status since she travels quite a bit due to her work, which leads me to the next question. Once I-130 is filed would she be able to come back to the US repeatedly? We/she stays in different countries a lot, again due to her work so her coming to the US would never be more than a 2 week affair at a time, before we/she had to head out again. I read somewhere that repeated entries might not be possible but this is where I'm wondering whether her diplomatic status and/or the B1/B2 border crossing card would help?

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

45 minutes ago, marcof1900 said:

Hi guys!

Bit of a complex situation on my end...

My girlfriend of 3 years and I have decided to get engaged and get married. I am a greencard holder but not looking to neutralize as I would lose my EU citizenship. Former home country doesn't allow dual citizenship. My girlfriend is a diplomat but also holds a B1/B2 border crossing card. 

I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers on....at least not with the whole diplomat thing being part of the equation. I don't even know if that matters or changes anything. Just throwing it out there.

Would we be able to marry in the US? Would we still need to get a spousal visa before doing so? Not necessarily looking to do adjustment of status since she travels quite a bit due to her work, which leads me to the next question. Once I-130 is filed would she be able to come back to the US repeatedly? We/she stays in different countries a lot, again due to her work so her coming to the US would never be more than a 2 week affair at a time, before we/she had to head out again. I read somewhere that repeated entries might not be possible but this is where I'm wondering whether her diplomatic status and/or the B1/B2 border crossing card would help?

Thanks!

Your girlfriend works for a foreign government and is here on diplomatic status? But also B1? What does she use to enter the US?

anyway she can’t just stay and do AOS if you are a green card holder, not a usc. It would seem to me the obvious thing to do is get married but just leave her current status as it is, seeing as she is at least currently allowed to come and go in the US as she pleases. She doesn’t need to apply for a new visa or try adjust if the current situation works in terms of allowing you guys to be together? I do think diplomatic status would be much better than using the B visa in this regard.

btw anyone can get married in the US. Nothing other than ID required, basically.

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Your girlfriend works for a foreign government and is here on diplomatic status? But also B1? What does she use to enter the US?

anyway she can’t just stay and do AOS if you are a green card holder, not a usc. It would seem to me the obvious thing to do is get married but just leave her current status as it is, seeing as she is at least currently allowed to come and go in the US as she pleases. She doesn’t need to apply for a new visa or try adjust if the current situation works in terms of allowing you guys to be together? I do think diplomatic status would be much better than using the B visa in this regard.

btw anyone can get married in the US. Nothing other than ID required, basically.

Thanks for your answer.

Whenever she comes to the US whether she uses her diplomatic status or b1/b2 border crossing card depends on the reason for her visit. 

AOS is only an option if you're marrying a US citizen, not a LPR?

Do you also have any insight in terms of where we can get married? Can we get married in the US? To do so, do we need a spousal visa or not as long as she leaves again?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, marcof1900 said:

Thanks for your answer.

Whenever she comes to the US whether she uses her diplomatic status or b1/b2 border crossing card depends on the reason for her visit. 

AOS is only an option if you're marrying a US citizen, not a LPR?

Do you also have any insight in terms of where we can get married? Can we get married in the US? To do so, do we need a spousal visa or not as long as she leaves again?

Thanks

AOS is only an option for spouse of a LPR when the priority date is current, which can take 2 years after filing for a visa. If she wants a green card at some stage then you’d go this route but if she’s able to be here as much as you want, why go through all the expense and trouble of that? I’d also expect there would be some sort of conflict between her having a green card and being a diplomat for a foreign country? Obviously if she needs to give up her job to marry you then you need to consider a spousal visa route.

you don’t need anything special to marry in the US - just proof of who you are. Think of destination weddings in Vegas, Hawaii etc... there’s no special marriage visa required 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Not the exact situtation but I am here on a E2 Visa and my spouse has a Green Card. We got married last year in February. I am still on my valid E2 visa and had no issues travelling outside the country and coming back. We filed the i-130 in April 2017.

I just recently submitted my AOS package because my PD became current.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.