KJACD

F1 Visa Application

6 posts in this topic

I will be applying for my F1 Student Visa at the US Embassy here in the Philippines this April. I already applied for an Associate Degree in Marketing at Los Angeles Pierce College and got admitted for Fall 2018. I have prepared the documents needed for the interview (Passport, Form DS-160, Form I-20, SEVIS payment confirmation) and I will be sponsored by my aunt (mother's sister) completely (tuition, expenses and housing). She was able to send copies of her bank certificate, 2017 income tax return, credit line, and the deed of her house. I also have a sister in LA on an immigrant visa who wouldn't mind supporting me too.

So basically, the main reason why I will be studying marketing in the US is because I need it to apply for a senior role in my company. I work in the Talent Acquisition Department for a BPO company based in Florida but was able to expand several sites here in the Philippines. We rely entirely on marketing to source out and attract top candidates to fill high volume hiring positions. So I need to develop and acquire new set of skills in marketing to qualify for a higher position. I can't provide a job offer yet because technically they can only discuss it once I already qualify. I do have my ITR from 2015 and 2016 and a Certificate of Employment from my company stating it's for my Student Visa Application. I need to come back because my mom lives here alone since my dad already passed away. Would this qualify as strong ties to my country?

I also have my own personal savings certificate from my bank however the amount is not at all that big. Just around $2500 so I'm not sure this would even be needed.

I would like some help or even just a friendly advice on what are my chances of getting approved? What are some additional requirements or documents I might need to ensure I can pass?

Hoping to hear from some good souls in this forum.

Edited by KJACD
Typo errors

2 hours ago, KJACD said:

So basically, the main reason why I will be studying marketing in the US is because I need it to apply for a senior role in my company. I work in the Talent Acquisition Department for a BPO company based in Florida but was able to expand several sites here in the Philippines. We rely entirely on marketing to source out and attract top candidates to fill high volume hiring positions. So I need to develop and acquire new set of skills in marketing to qualify for a higher position. I can't provide a job offer yet because technically they can only discuss it once I already qualify.

i wonder, how would this work? usually associate degrees take a few years to be completed. would your company keep you in their employ even if you are schooling full time in the US? also, for recruitment and talent acquisition work, wouldn't an hr-related degree make much more sense vs a marketing one? i work in marketing and communications and while there is some marketing involved in getting the word out there to let candidates know what your company is all about, marketing and recruitment are two different fields. if i were the CO, i would ask these questions.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

14 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

i wonder, how would this work? usually associate degrees take a few years to be completed. would your company keep you in their employ even if you are schooling full time in the US? also, for recruitment and talent acquisition work, wouldn't an hr-related degree make much more sense vs a marketing one? i work in marketing and communications and while there is some marketing involved in getting the word out there to let candidates know what your company is all about, marketing and recruitment are two different fields. if i were the CO, i would ask these questions.

Nice to hear from you @doggieandsam!

You make a good point! My functions in the Talent Acquisition department falls more on sourcing which basically means we are the guys whose job is to procure the right candidates to fill open job positions. With the use of better marketing styles and strategies, it would be easier to harvest leads and attract better candidates. Yes, marketing and talent acquisition may be entirely different but I don’t think its impossible to bridge the gap.

But that’s just my opinion. 🙂

And no, I would need to resign first and come back when I finish my degree.

Edited by KJACD

1 hour ago, KJACD said:

Nice to hear from you @doggieandsam!

You make a good point! My functions in the Talent Acquisition department falls more on sourcing which basically means we are the guys whose job is to procure the right candidates to fill open job positions. With the use of better marketing styles and strategies, it would be easier to harvest leads and attract better candidates. Yes, marketing and talent acquisition may be entirely different but I don’t think its impossible to bridge the gap.

But that’s just my opinion. 🙂

And no, I would need to resign first and come back when I finish my degree.

ok, fair enough! anyway, as long as you are prepared then that is half the battle during the interview. good luck with everything!

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

The only ties I had to my country were my family and wanting a job there. My reason for studying in the US was because I couldn't get the degree I wanted at the time in the UK. You telling them you have no plans for staying as you're only getting a degree to do a better job back in your home country and that you have a prospective job in the Philippines should help enough. 

AOS

Spoiler

12/28/2017 - Concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485

01/08/2018 - Rejection of I-485 based on incorrect payment (forgot biometrics fee!) 

03/05/2018 - Re-submitting of I-130 and I-485

03/07/2018 - Package received at Chicago Lockbox

03/20/2018 - NOA1 received by email

03/23/2018 - Form 179-C received for I-130, I-131, I-485, and I-765

03/27/2018 - Biometrics letter received for appointment on 04/13

04/13/2018 - Biometrics appointment

05/23/2018 - Interview scheduled for 06/27

06/11/2018 - Medical exam done

06/27/2018 - Interview (no decision)

06/29/2018 - APPROVED!

07/06/2018 - GC in hand!

ROC

Spoiler

04/08/2020 - Sent I-751 form with evidence via UPS

04/14/2020 - Package delivered at Phoenix, AZ lockbox

04/20/2020 - Certified check cashed

04/23/2020 - I-797 NOA received

05/13/2020 - Fingerprints applied to case (due to COVID-19)

12/10/2021 - Case jurisdiction moved

01/18/2022 - Card in production/case approved

01/24/2022 - Card in hand

Naturalization

Spoiler

10/30/2021 - N-400 filed online

10/30/2021 - Biometrics reused (no biometric appt needed)

08/04/2022 - Interview scheduled for 09/13

09/13/2022 - Interview, passed

11/18/2022 - Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.