Kush_Omaded

Any U.S. government employees applied for a K-1 Visa?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi friends, K-1 petitioner here, my beneficiary and I just got the interview date and are preparing accordingly.

Technical question here for any fellow civil servants; I was wondering if any previous applicants could shed light on how applying for a fiancé as a government employee might be different or the same as other applicants? For instance, given my fiancé's country of origin is Afghanistan, I provided ample details about him, his family, and his history when I first filled out my SF documents, and it was scrutinized accordingly. I was successfully adjudicated and given the go-ahead to begin work, meaning none of my provided information regarding him raised any red flags. While I am, of course, expecting some administrative processing, is it worth mentioning to the consular officer that my fiancé has already been cleared? While there's usually not much information sharing amongst agencies, of course, I was hoping that it might help somewhat with his background portion. Anybody have previous experience with this? Previous military, intel, foreign or civil service?

It doesn't matter. Everyone go through the same process, same processing times (some get their visas faster, some wait longer). Immigration does their own background checks.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Kush_Omaded said:

Hi friends, K-1 petitioner here, my beneficiary and I just got the interview date and are preparing accordingly.

Technical question here for any fellow civil servants; I was wondering if any previous applicants could shed light on how applying for a fiancé as a government employee might be different or the same as other applicants? For instance, given my fiancé's country of origin is Afghanistan, I provided ample details about him, his family, and his history when I first filled out my SF documents, and it was scrutinized accordingly. I was successfully adjudicated and given the go-ahead to begin work, meaning none of my provided information regarding him raised any red flags. While I am, of course, expecting some administrative processing, is it worth mentioning to the consular officer that my fiancé has already been cleared? While there's usually not much information sharing amongst agencies, of course, I was hoping that it might help somewhat with his background portion. Anybody have previous experience with this? Previous military, intel, foreign or civil service?

I am civil service and the only thing I had to do was notify my security office and fill out a long form with all my fiancé information on it so they knew I was in the K1 Visa process with someone from another country.  Nothing more I had to do.  Hope your's works out.  Best wishes!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

42 minutes ago, Nevad@ said:

I was wondering about this too... So, if the petitioner/beneficiary have TS clearance, this pretty much does not affect the regular timeline, correct?  

It doesn't speed it up any from NOA1-NOA2., since that's just going through the normal USCIS pipeline. But I'm curious to see if it has any effect on the beneficiary's potential timeline post-interview, if he's subject to administrative processing as a lot of Afghans tend to be. I doubt it will impact it, honestly, but it's an interesting thought. I mean, he was already investigated in order for me to get my clearance in the first place, so maybe that will translate to less AP. Out of curiosity, have you filed already or are planning to file?

7 minutes ago, Kush_Omaded said:

It doesn't speed it up any from NOA1-NOA2., since that's just going through the normal USCIS pipeline. But I'm curious to see if it has any effect on the beneficiary's potential timeline post-interview, if he's subject to administrative processing as a lot of Afghans tend to be. I doubt it will impact it, honestly, but it's an interesting thought. I mean, he was already investigated in order for me to get my clearance in the first place, so maybe that will translate to less AP. Out of curiosity, have you filed already or are planning to file?

We are almost on the same boat! I hope it does play in our favor, because I think investigation starts after the package is sent to NVC, and further to the Embassy. And, I might be mistaken, but it is the Embassy that runs a background check on the person after the US citizen submits a contact report.  So... putting two and two together you would think it should take less time or at least no admin.processing. Fingers crossed! 

And yes, we have sent our petition a couple days ago. 

Edited by Nevad@

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.