Beet83

B2 visa validity

29 posts in this topic

I was issued with a B2 visa in December 2015 as my boyfriend took a secondment to the US. The visa specifically states on it that it is “to accompany xxxx xxxx”. We later married and I was issued with an L2 visa. 

We have since returned to Europe but we have a holiday in the US later this year. I know that our L1/L2 visas are no longer valid and my husband will apply for an ESTA. My question is, what about my B2? Is it valid for this trip even though it’s not the purpose for which it was originally intended? It seems I can’t apply for an ESTA as I have a visitors visa. 

I did complete a contact form on the embassy website but got a generic response to look on their website.... 

13 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is your visa a still- valid, multiple entry visa?

Yes it’s valid until December 2020. It has an M under entries so I’m assuming that means multiple. 

I’ve actually just looked at it again and under annotations it states “to accompany blanket L1 partner: xxxxx xxxxx” and states his EAC number. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Beet83 said:

Yes it’s valid until December 2020. It has an M under entries so I’m assuming that means multiple. 

I’ve actually just looked at it again and under annotations it states “to accompany blanket L1 partner: xxxxx xxxxx” and states his EAC number. 

You have answered you own question.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

32 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You have answered you own question.

Ok so the purpose is irrelevant as long as it’s in date and for multiple entries? I guess I’m just a worrier  

Timeline

“to accompany blanket L1 partner: xxxxx xxxxx” and states his EAC number. 

when they ask you where the l1 partner is what will you say?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

They’re traveling together, anyway 

but no longer has L

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

when they ask you where the l1 partner is what will you say?

We are travelling together but the L1 is the the problem. 

I’m pretty stuck really, I can’t apply for an ESTA as I have this B2 but you’re suggesting that I can’t use the B2 either. Can I cancel the visa somehow?

24 minutes ago, Beet83 said:

We are travelling together but the L1 is the the problem. 

I’m pretty stuck really, I can’t apply for an ESTA as I have this B2 but you’re suggesting that I can’t use the B2 either. Can I cancel the visa somehow?

How long was the initial L visa valid for?

if it was shorter than 5 years then clearly the B was not intended to be limited to that only.

you'd get greater confidence talking to a human somewhere, but the final decision is always up to the border officer. If you were gonna be illegal it would have been easier to already overstay last time you wete there. Personally I think you’ll be fine (but I’m just a gal on the net). Take sufficient evidence of why you will return home after the trip.i think it helps that you’re traveling with your ESTA husband.

Edited by SusieQQQ

The L1 visa was issued for the same 5 years as the B2 - we had the embassy interview together so they were issued at the same time and it was intended for this purpose. 

I will give them a call today and see what they say. It’s a 10 day trip and we don’t have any ties to the US anymore but plenty to the UK - jobs, property, leases - our furniture shipment has even arrived back here now! 

Thanks for your help. 

Timeline

Why can you not apply for ESTA?

I had assumed you do not qualify.

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Why can you not apply for ESTA?

I had assumed you do not qualify.

The ESTA website states you can apply for an ESTA if “You are currently not in possession of a visitors visa”. 

I have a UK passport so I would qualify for an ESTA if it wasn’t for the above. 

Timeline

I assume the B was for cohabitating with the L, that is why it was issued, and therefore no longer  valid.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.