Kswaf297

Should I request for an expedite?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi fellow k1'rs

I was thinking about requesting for an expedite on our petition but I don't know if I have any merit here. So here is my situation. Please give me advice and don't worry about telling me no because I am asking for advice 

We're are into day 112 of our visa which isn't ideal but not terrible processing times. We have a son together who lives here in the US with me. Our son is 1 year old and I currently am trying to get him into daycare so that I can continue to work at my job full time. Daycare here in washington state cost a $2,000.00 a month. Currently I'm having family watch him but they will not be able to watch him much longer. After paying daycare I will be left with little money to just survive. I do make enough for my visa and for my aos. But if you took out the 24000 a year that daycare would take from me brings my yearly salary way down. Once my fiance gets here he will be able to take care of our son while I work until he is able to go to work himself and the cost of daycare split between the two of us would be a much lighter load. Do you think this is enough reason for an expedite? Or am I just SOL. Also yes my son is his. We've been doing the travelling back and forth even through pregnancy. What kind if documents would be good to give them if they asked for additional information. Also I cannot get state help for day care or anything like that because that would make me look like I cannot support the 3 of us.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate every response. Good or bad.

Edited by Kswaf297

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Kswaf297 said:

Hi fellow k1'rs

I was thinking about requesting for an expedite on our petition but I don't know if I have any merit here. So here is my situation. Please give me advice and don't worry about telling me no because I am asking for advice 

We're are into day 112 of our visa which isn't ideal but not terrible processing times. We have a son together who lives here in the US with me. Our son is 1 year old and I currently am trying to get him into daycare so that I can continue to work at my job full time. Daycare here in washington state cost a $2,000.00 a month. Currently I'm having family watch him but they will not be able to watch him much longer. After paying daycare I will be left with little money to just survive. I do make enough for my visa and for my aos. But if you took out the 24000 a year that daycare would take from me brings my yearly salary way down. Once my fiance gets here he will be able to take care of our son while I work until he is able to go to work himself and the cost of daycare split between the two of us would be a much lighter load. Do you think this is enough reason for an expedite? Or am I just SOL. Also yes my son is his. We've been doing the travelling back and forth even through pregnancy. What kind if documents would be good to give them if they asked for additional information. Also I cannot get state help for day care or anything like that because that would make me look like I cannot support the 3 of us.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate every response. Good or bad.

I think it's definitely worth a try, as your situation could fall under "financial loss." An expedite is very hard to get, but there is no harm done in requesting one, even if they reject it.

You're free to try. I'm skeptical of the situation meeting the requirements to expedite), but it won't hurt your case.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Why are you doing the K-1? Even when he gets here he won't be able to work for many months and then you have he hefty AOS fees to pay. Just get married and then file a CR-1 and he will be able to work from the minute he arrives. The CR-1 is cheaper also. 

Your flag shows Ireland - is that where he is from? If so, he is likely eligible for the VWP and can visit very easily. Have him visit, get married (quick courthouse wedding), then start the CR-1. You'll be out the I-129F fee but you will still be spending less overall and he can start work right away. I'm in Washington state and I was working within 2 weeks of arriving on my IR-1. 

It costs nothing to apply for an expedite so it's worth trying. But your poor planning or lifestyle choice (whichever is the reason for having a baby before you are living together and the father can provide for the child) is not usually something that would be considered worthy of an expedite. So I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why are you doing the K-1? Even when he gets here he won't be able to work for many months and then you have he hefty AOS fees to pay. Just get married and then file a CR-1 and he will be able to work from the minute he arrives. The CR-1 is cheaper also. 

Your flag shows Ireland - is that where he is from? If so, he is likely eligible for the VWP and can visit very easily. Have him visit, get married (quick courthouse wedding), then start the CR-1. You'll be out the I-129F fee but you will still be spending less overall and he can start work right away. I'm in Washington state and I was working within 2 weeks of arriving on my IR-1. 

It costs nothing to apply for an expedite so it's worth trying. But your poor planning or lifestyle choice (whichever is the reason for having a baby before you are living together and the father can provide for the child) is not usually something that would be considered worthy of an expedite. So I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. 

Unfortunately he is not able to visit. He has been denied a visitor visa and esta. He doesn't not have strong homeland ties. Becoming pregnant was the last thing we needed or wanted but even through precautionary measures it still happened. I eoudlmt change it for the world. When applying for the k1. I was told that the cr1 takes much longer and costs the same. To get married in Ireland you have to give 3 months notice and have some sort of interview. I can't afford to take that much time from work. This is our best option I believe. Thank you for your honest opinion. I haven't requested anything yet and I don't know if I will but it never hurts to ask for advice. Also I'm not worried about the AOS fee or him being here and not working. I already have the aos fee and he will be able to take care of our son instead of sending him to daycare.

Edited by Kswaf297

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.