Jump to content
abe&kari

Green card undelivered, resent but we're traveling...

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I received my social security card like a week ago, but my green card was "undeliverable" for some reason because of USPS. So I sent an inquiry for USCIS to have my green card resent to me. But the thing is that my wife and I are going on a vacation for a week next week, Someone told me that if I don't pick up the mail and get the green card they will send it back to USCIS.

So my questions are:

Is that really true? Do I have to pick up the green card right away once It's delivered? if so, Can I just put a piece of paper to the mail man that says to leave the letter from USCIS in the mail until I get back from my vacation?

P.S. I called USCIS and they don't know about this. I tried to call a supervisor but every time I called they were busy.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking here....can you have a neighbor/friend check your mail for you while away?  I've never heard of USPS returning the green card to USCIS if you're not home to receive it....however, leaving something as important as the GC sitting in your mailbox for a week might not be the best idea all-around.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Going through said:

Just thinking here....can you have a neighbor/friend check your mail for you while away?  I've never heard of USPS returning the green card to USCIS if you're not home to receive it....however, leaving something as important as the GC sitting in your mailbox for a week might not be the best idea all-around.

 

 

 

They delivered my green card then they took it back to the U.S.
This says: "On October 23, 2017, the Post Office returned your new card for Receipt Number IOE********, to us as undeliverable. We mailed your card to the address you provide to us, but the Post Office could not deliver it.".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, abe&kari said:

They delivered my green card then they took it back to the U.S.
This says: "On October 23, 2017, the Post Office returned your new card for Receipt Number IOE********, to us as undeliverable. We mailed your card to the address you provide to us, but the Post Office could not deliver it.".

That sounds more like a USPS issue on their part.....I'd check with the Postmaster for your local post office and make sure they have your correct address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Going through said:

That sounds more like a USPS issue on their part.....I'd check with the Postmaster for your local post office and make sure they have your correct address.

I just did, and i updated my address. i even did the "I moved" online application.

the thing is my wife and I are going to Seattle for a while and we won't be able to pick the mail. Would this be a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, abe&kari said:

I just did, and i updated my address. i even did the "I moved" online application.

the thing is my wife and I are going to Seattle for a while and we won't be able to pick the mail. Would this be a problem?

You could always request USPS to hold your mail until you come back, and then pick it all up when you return?

Edited by Going through

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Going through said:

You could always request USPS to hold your mail until you come back, and then pick it all up when you return?

Thank you. I will visit them and ask them about this. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, abe&kari said:

Thank you. I will visit them and ask them about this. :)

You have to submit the request online https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/ because first they check if your address is eligible for mail-holding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×