Mahmoud hany

Born in US before DS260 interview

11 posts in this topic

Do you mean you are submitting a DS260 after a DV win?

having a US citizen child won't be a problem for DV. If she's flying to the US specifically to give birth there that however potentially raises a bunch of other questions which I believe have been discussed in other more relevant forums than this one. (DV)

Filed: Timeline

It could be a problem if you can't pay the hospital.  If you don't pay the hospital, then your family is likely to become public charges which would make you ineligible to immigrate to the US.

Do you have insurance or money to pay the hospital bills for the birth of your child in the US?

Is your family immigrating on the DV?  Or is your wife petitioning you?

Edited by Jojo92122

• 3 weeks later...

yes, she will come back to process the visa normally,

if there is a way to schedule the interview before the due date, that would be better,

or else, how can we add a new family member as we have already submitted the application.

this is why i think giving birth in US (paying all the fees) would be better for our case.

what do you think

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I think your strategy is a dangerous one.  For a start, going to the US to give birth: is she going to be honest at point of entry that she is planning to give birth there?  Or if she going to lie about her intentions?  And what if the birth is complicated and the cost runs into the tens of thousands?  Do you have the money to pay for that?  Because, if you don't, you can probably wave bye bye to the DV because you've proven yourself susceptible to being a public charge.

Think carefully.  It might be easier - and easier on her - to give birth in your home country.

3 hours ago, Mahmoud hany said:

yes, she will come back to process the visa normally,

if there is a way to schedule the interview before the due date, that would be better,

or else, how can we add a new family member as we have already submitted the application.

this is why i think giving birth in US (paying all the fees) would be better for our case.

what do you think

You don't have control over when the interview is scheduled, at least not at first. Some embassies allow you to delay, but this can be risky as sometime you don't end up with an interview.

A child born as a citizen obviously doesn't need a green card. If the baby is born outside the US it is very easy to get it added to the case, people have babies all the time and there is clear provision to add them to existing DV cases. If the baby is born before the interview it gets an immigrant visa same as the rest of you. If it is born after the interview but before you enter the US it will automatically get processed for a green card on arrival.

Honestly if you all are about to get green cards anyway I can't see what the point of going to all this cost and hassle is especially with the risks Emily has highlighted.

6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

You don't have control over when the interview is scheduled, at least not at first. Some embassies allow you to delay, but this can be risky as sometime you don't end up with an interview.

A child born as a citizen obviously doesn't need a green card. If the baby is born outside the US it is very easy to get it added to the case, people have babies all the time and there is clear provision to add them to existing DV cases. If the baby is born before the interview it gets an immigrant visa same as the rest of you. If it is born after the interview but before you enter the US it will automatically get processed for a green card on arrival.

Honestly if you all are about to get green cards anyway I can't see what the point of going to all this cost and hassle is especially with the risks Emily has highlighted.

well, certainly i will not blow the DV opportunity away, i was only worried about adding the new baby to the application. and since you ensure that i will be able to add the baby so no need to go through any risk. and i was planning - for sure-  to pay the full fees in case of giving birth in US. but since i can add the baby, why the extra fees.
thanks a lot for such useful advises

Good Lord, why didn't you just ask first - or indeed, just read the instructions linked from your selection letter which clearly say you can add new family members - before deciding on such a complicated and costly option??? Anyway glad you figured it out in time. 

1 minute ago, Mahmoud hany said:

look, it's a really delicate matter, and if you were in my position you would have a million question even if it was somehow mentioned, and i really dont want to do anything wrong about it. so thank god for this forum, god bless you all for such valuable information.

I'm not sure either why a new baby is "a really delicate matter" or why you say "if" it was "somehow mentioned"... this is one of the first few pages you should have read, directly linked from your notification letter, and it is totally unambiguous....

"If your family circumstances have changed after you entered the lottery, for example, if you have gotten married or had a child, you will need to add your new family members to your case. ... When adding family members to your case, you will need to upload a document to prove your relationship to the family member being added." 

I must be honest, I'm wondering what else you've missed. You need to ensure you have read through all the relevant instructions properly. Failure to follow them can lead to delay or denial. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.