Islanderk

Child support, divorce, moved ,child being born outside of the USA

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Ok here goes.... I was in a very abusive marriage to a USA citizen. We were apart of an organization who's rules were if you sleep with someone you MUST marry or remain single. So we got married. I was doing very well in my home country  (dollar value equals to the U.S. dollar) so there was no need for me to move except for marriage. Before the I do could have settled in the abuse had already started and me under the assumption base on our cult like organization I stayed. he had filed for my green card, had the interview back in June 2016 and after the interview we were assured that my green card was approved  but the interviewer was uncertain, said that because I left the country during the processing there was a chance they would deny it but he said it's highly unlikely. The reason for me leaving was i ran back home from the abuse back in April  2016. My then husband came to my home country with promises to myself and my family that he was going to change so I went back with him. During that interview I was already 3 months pregnant.  . 3 domestic violence shelters later i went back home in July 2016 right before I could recieve my letter from immigration (to know whether I got it or was denied). He told me it was denied and refused to send me my mail to prove it. He then in October 2016 filed for annulment and didn't notified me of it. he then in December 2016 contacted me and said we're divorce. (Not , "he annulled the marriage") bear in mind I'm  pregnant and I constantly asked for help with his child, he then respond, hes doing nothing until he gets a DNA test and I said fine. Fast forward to January 2017. The baby is here and I sent him a picture and told him that I'm ready for the DNA test.  He said that he doesn't want it and he can see he is his. During all of this he's stalling because he's moving out of the state of Florida and doesn't want me to know. Now it's time for me to register the baby I'm asking him for the divorce papers marriage certificate, and an affidavit from the father stating he acknowledge the birth and the child is his in order for him to be on the birth certificate and for him to carry his last name. He stated he doesn't want to be on the birth certificate and he don't care for him to have his last name. Now mind you he had gotten into it with me about the name I chose and that he wanted to name him. This is now march 2017 and He stall in sending me the divorce papers. When he had finally sent A PICTURE of the divorce papers it said that "I failed to response to the petition" and that it was annual. He only sent a front photo of it. I then told him that he never alerted me of the divorce.  Now I'm here I was advised to reopen the case on the divorce and now I'm looking into putting him on child support because he hasn't don't anything but $60 worth of stuff and $40 For this month. How do I go about all the frud and abuse and child support please. I'm not in the USA I'm in the Bahamas. 

Edited by Islanderk
Spelling and grammatical errors

First and foremost I want to say that I am sorry you had to go through so much. Stay strong for your child.

Because the question you asked is more of a civil (child support) case more than an immigration case you may find more help with a family attorney and some advice from a family legal forum. If you come across a good discussion forum regarding divorces and child/ family services the members would probably give you names of good attorneys.

As far as immigration I'm not sure if you are seeking advice on your case status or possible future permanent residency for you or your child. If so, please specify exactly what you would like to know pertaining to immigration and hopefully we can help.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the Effects of Major Family Changes forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
On 3/28/2017 at 8:41 AM, NuestraUnion said:

First and foremost I want to say that I am sorry you had to go through so much. Stay strong for your child.

Because the question you asked is more of a civil (child support) case more than an immigration case you may find more help with a family attorney and some advice from a family legal forum. If you come across a good discussion forum regarding divorces and child/ family services the members would probably give you names of good attorneys.

As far as immigration I'm not sure if you are seeking advice on your case status or possible future permanent residency for you or your child. If so, please specify exactly what you would like to know pertaining to immigration and hopefully we can help.

For the baby as far as my case I gave up.  He has only made my life a living hell.  All he has to do is help with the baby and help me file for birth abroad but he refused to do that.  I just want some help in going about child support and getting my baby's status so he can decide whether he wants to stay in the Bahamas or go and live in the USA.  Also I'm reopening the annulment he frud the courts into getting 

Filed: Timeline

So typically topics like this arent discussed so much on VJ- because its not really an immigration question. I am willing to give you some generic technical advise here and can also help you in PM. This is only because most immigrants as well as many USCs dont know how to gather info and proceed in a situation like this...

First you need to find out if you are still married or if an official decree of divorce or annulment was granted, In the US a marriage is suppose to be terminated with both parties participation which is a stretch of the word.  Acknowledgement may be a better word. You figure it took two to get married, so it takes two to divorce. However there are provisions IF you can not locate your spouse and want to separate for you to do it on your own. These vary greatly from place to place, so its impractical to list out possible ways it could happen, and just enough to say it could happen.

So you need to find out what happened, when it happened, and basically what the outcome was. Proceedings may still be going on- they can take a long time. 

Point of interest- you can only file for divorce/annulment in the place you currently live. If he currently lives in X county FL, then thats where he would file and where you would contact to see if there is an ongoing divorce case or a closed on and get the records. Once you obtain the records- if its closed you have to check whats in them and if theres anything that need to be changed and if it can be changed. Again this process (option) is different everywhere. 

Immigration related you can obtain a GC through VAWA. If your child was born in the US- theres no immigration paperwork for him. If he was not, then there are options for him. Again depends on stuff.

Child support is a another complex issue. Try contacting a place like http://aces-childsupport.org/category/about/ and see if they can get you going in the right direction.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.