bbf3562

Honeymoon after married

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

We are thinking to go honeymoon to Mexico 5 days after wedding. Can my fiancee travel other country for honeymoon while applying for spouse visa/GC? Are there any additional requirements to be able to travel other country from US for immigrant?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

ap is advanced parole. form i131.

it is filed with the aos form i485 after you marry and can take up to 90 days to be approved. you have to have the  marriage certificate to file the i485.

so for about 3-4 months a after you are married the immigrant is stuck in the us and not able to work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling, from IR1/CR1 - As the OP is asking about traveling after entering on a K1~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Check out this guide.

It takes roughly 3-4 months to get advanced parole (ap) (Form I131).  It's a crazy term I know (my wife hated it), but it is the document that allows you to leave the country and return while you are adjusting status (waiting on the green card).  From the guide: Do not attempt to leave the country without an AP as this can result in the beneficiary's I-485 being considered "abandoned" and will require a new Visa to enter the US (and refiling of the I-485).

Good luck!

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, bbf3562 said:

So you are saying that it impossible for immigrant to travel out of US for honeymoon after wedding until 3 - 4 months later even with ap?

Pretty much. Come in on a K-1, get married within 90 days. Submit I-485 (AOS), I-131 (Advanced Parole Travel Document) , I-765 (EAD Work Permit) after married. Wait 3-4 months for Advanced Parole Document. 

Timeline

You can travel domestic without issue. Some suggest avoiding travel to any U.S. territories.  You have a flight diverted or layover somewhere that you end up going through customs and you are in trouble.

OP: sorry you can't go to Mexico this time around. However, I got married last May and went to Puerto Rico instead because I couldn't leave the country. It was fabulous. 

Now this was before the recent immigration crackdown so some people may get a bit nervous right now with traveling to US territories.

However, there's a ton of great honeymoon destinations in the US, especially if your fiance hasn't really been here before. Save the Mexico visit for your anniversary trip!

But DO NOT LEAVE the country before getting the Advanced Parole document! Glad you asked before booking because it would have been a problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
18 minutes ago, f f said:

just go on the honeymoon before the ceremony.

How does that work while on K1 fiance visa before married? Must travel as tourist visa before receive k1 fiance visa?

19 minutes ago, f f said:

just go on the honeymoon before the ceremony.

that will only work if the fiance travels directly to Mexico and enters the US on his K1 visa on the return from the honeymoon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.