Jump to content

International driving licence

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


As the big day will be at the end of January to relocate in San Francisco , I am busy getting everything ready before moving , Do I need international driving licence from Egypt or as long as I will be a permanent resident I am not allowed to use an international driving licence .

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe there's a limited amount of time for which you can use the international licence.  Probably best to contact the licensing authority for the state  you'll be in.  Most countries let you use it for approx 3 months if you're immigrating, and unending if you're on a temporary visa. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

California DOES NOT recognize the so called "international driving license." It will recognize a regular, Egyptian driving license until you have established "residency." It has nothing to do with having a green card. Just means that within a few months you will need to have a California driver license. Technically, you have 10 days, but in practice, just do it as soon as you can. After one traffic stop they may remember you and tell you , that you need to get it. 

California Vehicle Code §12502 and §12505

Note, that to get the license, you will need to bring proof of residency.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.