Jump to content

I-485 sent. Also DL Questions!

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Whew! It's been quite a journey so far, and everyone on this forum has been an amazing help! I ramble a bit, so sorry in advance.

So initially when we filed for the K-1, we had immigration lawyers help us out who weren't too expensive, and with the knowledge I've gained from here I felt confident that they were doing everything correctly as we had to look over their work before they sent anything, and it was all good, we never had issues with the K-1, and as of October 14th, I've landed into the U.S.!

Now come the I-485, the lawyers charge $1070 for the filing fee, plus $2200 for their help! At this point, the spouse and I were like "NOPE NOPE NOPE THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP", because yikes what a price hike! That's okay though, we feel very confident about the I-485 being sent off, too! I've double/triple checked the instructions, we got the biometric info form (forgot the form number), I-765, I-131, I-864, and whatever G- form was required for e-mail/SMS notifications all done. I've told my spouse that we didn't really need them to begin with, but he kinda feels like that safety net of peace of mind is gone, especially since he's the petitioner and didn't really need to sign much beyond the I-864 and provide proof of the affidavit of support, but I assured him that the majority of this package is mostly me, as it's me who's now adjusting the status! So...yeah! Good luck to us! :dancing: It's sent by certified priority mail through USPS, no turning back now! I sure can't wait to be able to start working so I don't feel like a freeloader anymore D:

Anyways, QUESTION about Drivers License:

I already have my full GA drivers license, and got it before we got married and it expires on Jan 11th, 2017, the same day as the last day my I-94 is good for, as per GA DDS regulation. I don't think I'll need to re-take any tests to get it extended. I found the following information here:

Non-Citizens Driver’s License, Permit or Identification Card One-Time Extension

The Department of Driver Services provides a one-time 120-day extension for any non-citizen who meets the following requirements:

  • Must be an existing DDS customer
  • The Georgia license, permit or Identification card must have expired or must be expiring within thirty (30) days
  • Must provide proof of having requested an extension for time to remain lawfully within the United States by presenting an original I-797C Notice of Action.

Is an I-797C an NOA1 for the I-485/EAD/AP Combo card? As of yesterday, I meet the criteria for the other two bullet points.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's the i797c (NOA1) for your i485 application.

Thank you! It's probably safe to assume that we'll receive the I-797C next week, and I'll bring it with me to the DDS near the expiration of my DL to complete the one-time extension of 120 days which should cover me until around April, which I guess the EAD/AP Combo card would most likely be in my possession by then, which would then even further extend it to the expiration of that card.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be moving to Pennsylvania in month of March or April and having Alberta's Class 5 Driving license so do I need to take any written test or road test to get PA's DL? Do I need to take any certificate from Alberta registry office? Please advise.



Hi Ashish,

It's entirely up to the state you get your license from. I also had a Class 5 GDL from Alberta, however Georgia state does not care and I had to re-take all the tests as if I was a brand new driver again. Call your local DMV in Pennsylvania and find out.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.