Javilasardar

J-1 Waiver Timelines 2016

430 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey larissaf,

It's good to know that there are other Brazilians passing through the same process. I'm glad to hear that you got everything by post mail even in Brazil, it means that I will get the notification here too. I really advice you to change your address to an American address though. Getting documents in the USA is much faster than getting it here and, at least for me, they asked me just to scan the final Waiver. I don't really need to have the physical letter here. In my case, my father-in-law will scan it and email it to me as soon as it gets there.

I asked to change my address yesterday (08/11/2016) and my request was approved today.

Please let us to know when you get your Waiver approved and when you get it by post mail.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Brasil!!! :)

Edited by plinioandrade

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey Plinio,

I am following your advice to change the address to my fiance's address, but I got a question for you: at the USCIS website, how can I put my old address there if they just have the space for american states?

Timeline

Hey larissaf,

I typed my Brazilian address on the address field and selected the Zip Code and State of the new address for the old address.

The form doesn't allow you to sent it without a valid information. So, I just repeated the same information from the new address for those fields I couldn't type the real information. It worked for me. I think the Customer Representative will know that you didn't have another option.

Sincerely,

Timeline

Hey larrissaf,

I can't believe you are still waiting for your final Waiver documents. I've seen people getting it in 2 or 3 weeks after USCIS issues the Receipt Number. I'm just waiting for the final Waiver to get my immigrant visa and I'm so anxious about it. I was looking the USCIS timeline online (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do) and it shows 4 months for the I-612 form. However, it doesn't say anything about the "No Objection" reason just "based on exceptional hardship or persecution".

I really hope I'm getting my final waiver soon.

I'm looking forward to hear from you about your final Waiver.

PS: Did you change your address online?

Sincerely,

Timeline

Hello plinioandrade,

I did change my address there, but the confirmation is still pending. Weird. And also weird this time that they are taking to give their final decision, I noticed people receiving it after 2 and 3 weeks, or even days after the receipt letter. Let's wait and see. Any news, I will tell you. I will try to call them this week to check it out, but I don't think it changes anything.

Timeline

Hey Larissa,

I just got the Receipt Notification by post mail in Brazil today. It took 16 days to arrive here.

I will let you to know when I get my final Waiver.

Thank you for sharing again.

Timeline

Dear both larissaf and plinioandrade,

I'm also a former exchange student from the Science Without Boarders program. I'm also waiting for my I-612 to be approved by the USCIS since their NOA1 date July 6th. It's August 17th and nothing has absolutely happened. I received the NOA1 at my Brazilian address after 3 weeks. I've also been working on the case with a lawyer, so the lawyer received a copy of the Notice of Action at her office about a week after it was issued. I will keep you guys posted If I get the approval any time soon. It seems to be taking way too long compared to other timelines I've seen online for the I-612.

Unrelated: I tried to run the waiver process along side with with my fiancée's I-129F which was approved within 3.5 months after it has been filed. I've had my consulate interview at the 19th, and the only thing pending for the visa approval is the no-objection waiver. - CAPES, the incompetent government agency who financed the program, took about 3 months to issue an no-objection letter to the Brazilian embassy.

Timeline

Don't worry alexvandv,

I also worked on my IR immigrant visa before the Waiver. My interview happened in Rio de Janeiro on February 25th this year. My visa was approved but not issued because I need the Waiver.

I paid for doctor examinations before the Interview. My doctor examinations expire on August 24th. So, because I didn't get the Waiver I didn't get the visa too and I will need to redo the doctor examinations again. I asked the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro to take the doctor examinations now but they replied saying I can't do anything before my Waiver is sent to them.

I hope they won't ask me to go to Rio de Janeiro again. The Consul Officer told me that the Interview validity is 1 year.

Rio de Janeiro is so far away from my city and it is so expensive every time I go there.

Take your NOA1 with you to your interview with a copy and leave the copy with them. I didn't tell them my case number of my Waiver process in the DoS and they sent my passport back to me 2 weeks ago with a letter asking me to apply for a Waiver.

Now I need to get the Waiver, send it to them, go take my doctor examinations, send the examinations + passport to them and wait for my visa!

I can't wait for it to be over!

Keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Timeline

Dear alexvandv and plinioandrade,

I have filled for the K1 along side with the Waiver too, and my interview is scheduled to 15th September. My plan was to go with the final decision in hands already, but that seems more difficult to happen. I changed the address and the USCIS didn't confirm it yet, which worries me. Also, I hope that the American Consulate accepts the scanned letter (if I ever receive it).

Please let me know if something happens,

Timeline

Larissa and Alex,

You guys are lucky for having your Interview scheduled after having the Waiver almost issued.

At least you guys won't need to redo anything like me.

Larissa, the Consulate asked me to send them the Waiver scanned by email. I think they will accept your scanned version.

I really believe you will have the Waiver by September 15th. USCIS is probably full of work specially because everybody is afraid of changes in immigration laws after the election in November.

I hope hear from you guys soon.

Abraços!

Timeline

Dear alexvandv and plinioandrade,

I have filled for the K1 along side with the Waiver too, and my interview is scheduled to 15th September. My plan was to go with the final decision in hands already, but that seems more difficult to happen. I changed the address and the USCIS didn't confirm it yet, which worries me. Also, I hope that the American Consulate accepts the scanned letter (if I ever receive it).

Please let me know if something happens,

My lawyer has sent me a scanned copy of the NOA1 she received for the I-612. I've printed it and handed it during the interview alongside a copy of the Favorable Recommendation from the DoS. - Which means, yes, they do accept copies. The consulate also asked me just to email them when the I-612 is approved. No need for scanned documents. I believe the only thing that matters to them is the case number.

Timeline

Alex,

I misunderstood you. I thought your interview was coming but it already happened. So, you are so close to get your visa.

Let us to know when you get your documents.

Thanks.

Yup, I will let you guys know :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Uptade on my timeline for the J1waiver

********************************************************************************************************

J1 waiver timeline based on non-objection

Documents received by DOS - February 17, 2016

No Objection Statement - March 08, 2016

Incomplete Information Letter - March 21, 2016

Update documents received - April 13, 2016

Favorable recommendation sent - April 21, 2016

I-612 received by USCIS Vermont Office - April 26,2016

Final approval by USCIS I-797C Notice of Action (NOA) - May 20th 2016

Received at my address in US the I-797C Notice of Action (NOA) - May 25th 2016

*******************************************************************************************************

I am also a former CNPQ scholar from Brazil.

Good luck to all.

Timeline

Uptade on my timeline for the J1waiver

********************************************************************************************************

J1 waiver timeline based on non-objection

Documents received by DOS - February 17, 2016

No Objection Statement - March 08, 2016

Incomplete Information Letter - March 21, 2016

Update documents received - April 13, 2016

Favorable recommendation sent - April 21, 2016

I-612 received by USCIS Vermont Office - April 26,2016

Final approval by USCIS I-797C Notice of Action (NOA) - May 20th 2016

Received at my address in US the I-797C Notice of Action (NOA) - May 25th 2016

*******************************************************************************************************

I am also a former CNPQ scholar from Brazil.

Good luck to all.

Less than a month?! See, mine is taking way too long! It's been 44 days today since the USCIS received it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.