marissaO

Tips for processing K1 Visa for Ugandan Fiance

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi all,

Passing along some really helpful tips that I wish we had known during our visa process. My fiancé is from Uganda and I am from Boston, MA. Our tips are regarding the preparation for the fiancé interview in Nairobi and the logistical process of traveling +staying in Kenya.

For processing K1 visa for Uganda fiancés, we had to have our interview in Nairobi as the Kampala embassy does not process k1 visas.

INTEVIEW FEES: We tried to work around it but as of June 2015, we HAD to pay for the fee for the interview at the embassy in Kenya. Luckily we had a friend of a friend who we transferred money through Western Union to him and he submitted the money through Post Bank in Kenya (Post Bank in Uganda does not work!). In order to book your interview, you must submit the fee in Kenya… I wish it were not the case but it is L

SCHEDULING INTERVIEW: We scheduled our interview in July and there was not an available date until mid-September. Our 1-129F said that it expired on August 23rd so we were really concerned. Two important notes: The embassy worked with us and accepted that fact that there were not any sooner slots. Also, we waited until we had all our documents in line and ready before we scheduled our appointment…. We highly recommend that you scheduled it before since it was too late when we scheduled it after collecting the documents.

MEDICAL EXAMS: Because my fiancé was flying from Uganda to Kenya, we had two choices for planning the medical exam—either he stayed for 12-15 days OR he would fly twice, one for the medical exam and one for the interview. We decided on having him stay for a longer time than the hassle and travel related to two trips.

VACCINATIONS: We had my fiancé get 12 out of 13 vaccinations before arriving in Nairobi (actually in January – our appointment was in September) due to prices and health concerns. We did not want him feeling sick or tired during the stressful period so we opted to make sure he had the vaccinations before traveling. Also, we were able to get 10 vaccinations for about $100-$150, which I really believe was a lot cheaper than in Nairobi and I am sure a lot cheaper than in the US. The one vaccination we did not get was the influenza vaccination since I thought it was not necessary but it is J He ended up getting this one in Nairobi.

GUESTHOUSE IN NAORBI: We cannot say enough about how blessed we were to find this wonderful guesthouse, Mdawida Homestay. They not only picked my fiance up from the airport but also drove him to all appointments (medical and embassy). My biggest concern in this process was his safety and comfort during this trip to Nairobi since it was his first time out of Uganda. Because of Mdawida Homestay and Serah taking care of ALL logistics, I slept easily J Another wonderful benefit to Mdawida Homestay is that they allow you to pay beforehand through Paypal—this way my fiancé was not carrying or taking out $600 in cash (this made us nervous!) All and all, we HIGHLY recommend staying here for if you are traveling to Kenya for this interview and need a safe, clean place to stay and eat and need help with logistics.

DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR INTERVIEW: The website and documents will not tell you the specific Ugandan documents that you need so please take note. There are two birth certificates in Uganda (had no idea!) and we brought the short birth certificate. Well— unfortunately, they needed the long birth certificate so we had to go back to Uganda and get a copy in Kampala at Uganda Registration Services Bureau.

Also, it does not tell you exactly what police letter you need other than from the place you have lived in since you were 16. My fiancé is from N. Uganda and has lived in one city since he was 16 so we thought we were all set with getting a letter from this city’s police department. However, the embassy needed a police letter from the National Central Bureau of Interpol in Kampala (regardless of whether or not he lived there!).

Luckily, we were able to send these two documents with his passport by DHL to the embassy so he did not have to travel to Kenya again. After the visa was approved, we had a friend from Mdawida Homestay mail the package to DHL in Kampala.

FINAL TIP: have at least 5 passport size photos—it’s a small task but super important. You need them for the interview, medical exam, National Central Bureau of Interpol, and Uganda Registration Services Bureau.

- Moved from K-1 Process to the Africa: Sub-Saharan regional forum as the post is country-specific and several of the tips are relevant to multiple immigration paths -

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

• 8 months later...
Timeline

Hi there, Rayneflower,

You can find a list of the vaccinations here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/vaccinations.html :)

Wishing you all the best on your visa journey! Let me know if you have any questions--- we've been through it and are proof that this process is a slow but sure one! (L)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hullo this was really helpful, would like to know the consulate you filled in your petition for your fiancé to apply for the visa since Ugandan embassy does not issue the k1, also did your fiancé use the post office services to receive packet 3 or there was another way out ?

thank you 

Timeline

Hey Zab!

Thanks so much for checking in on this! Kindly see my notes below. Before doing so, it may be helpful to note that we processed our paperwork in 2014 so I'm not sure my info is up-to-date (hoping it is!).

Would like to know the consulate you filled in your petition for your fiancé to apply for the visa since Ugandan embassy does not issue the k1: We had to process our paperwork with the Nairobi Embassy since the Kampala Embassy does not process these visas. 

Did your fiancé use the post office services to receive packet 3 or there was another way out ?  I'm so sorry but I'm not sure which packet you're referencing. Feel free to respond if the following doesn't help! -- I used the post office to send my husband copies of the documents we sent to the Embassy so that he had them to prep for the interview-- he got a box at the post office in Gulu to receive these documents. I used my US based address to receive all communications about the visa. We used DHL when we had to send back additional documents (i.e police letter + long birth certificate) to Nairobi after his interview. 

Hope this helps to explain-- please don't hesitate to connect with any other questions as this process is complicated and sometimes scary and I'd be happy to help in any way I can!

• 4 months later...

Thank you for this helpful info! My question is WHERE in Kampala did your fiancé get his immunizations done? We want to do the same thing and take care of his immunizations before he goes to Nairobi. We feel that if we go to the IOM office in Kampala they will not be any cheaper. Was there a different clinic other than IOM in Kampala your fiancé got his shots? Thanks so much in advance!

Timeline

Hi there, ambanks151!

Thanks so much for asking! My husband got his vaccinations in his home town (Gulu) - and they were much more affordable! The types of places we used to get the vaccinations were pharmacies and Marie Stops. They gave him a vaccination card and the doctors in Nairobi "verified" the card.

Hope this helps to explain -- but let me know if you have any other questions!

• 5 years later...

Hello I have a fiance from Uganda as well!  How long did it take you to do everything, from I-129 to being together?

This is my I-129F, can you check it if it looks right?

1. Cover Letter?

(Not sure if this is needed or what this should contain)

2. G1450 and  I-129F
3.  Letter of Intent to Marry
(Gonna use this one (removed))
4.  EVIDENCE
10 photos of us together, , Passport Stamp Photo, Yellow Fever Vaccination Photo, Flight Receipts
5.  Passport Photo of Me and Her
6.  EVIDENCE: My Birth Certificate Photo Copy

OK , Everything else should be good now, the only thing that needs fixing is number 5.

NUMBER 5:

I'm still learning towards that as well since I am not at all familiar with how to use Google to format the picture or selfie in a way that's compatible to such a specific requirement of the photos, as mentioned below from the Official I-129F instructions:

"You must submit one color passport-style photograph of yourself and one color passport-style photograph of the beneficiary taken within 30 days of filing this petition. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and unretouched. Form I-129F Instructions 03/21/22 Page 11 of 14 The color passport-style photos must be 2 by 2 inches. The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1 to 1 3/8 inches from top of hair to bottom of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 inches from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing headwear as required by a religious denomination of which you are a member. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the photo"

Clarification on this would be GREATLY appreciated, and if necessary, rewarded.
Edited by Chancy
removed 3rd-party link

Zombie thread closed for comment. The person has not logged on in 5 years. Please post in your already existing thread; we do not allow members posting their own questions in other members’ threads. 

VJ Moderation 

Edited by powerpuff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.