Changoleon

Administrative processing Iranian applicants please

135 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I would strongly recommend you guys hire an attorney. I think it's worth it. My attorney said that if it goes past 6 months for us (we are on month 4) she will file a writ of mandamus. It's a court order that forces them to make a decision since the law requires the decision to be made in a reasonable time frame. She said basically what happens is she will file the writ, and the government's lawyer will file a request for an extension of time to respond to the writ. She agrees to their request, then two weeks later, they issue the visa and she withdraws the writ. She made it clear that this is not a guarantee that the visa will be approved, but if they reject the visa they have to have a good reason and it can't just be because they didn't like that you filed a writ.

Timeline

Does anyone know if it would make a difference if the Iranian never lived in Iran? 

My husband is Irani but born and lived his whole life in Qatar. We are going through the NVC stage now and his interview will be at the US Embassy in Qatar. I'm hoping we won't get stuck in AP. 

He's also visited the US on visitor visas multiple times. Does this make a difference?

Good luck to all... I know it's so very difficult to be stuck waiting with no knowledge of when things will be approved.  

Doha, Qatar

Met: 2011

Married: August 2014, Doha, Qatar

Filed I-130: August 25, 2016
NOA1: August 30, 2016
I-130 Approved (NOA2): March 17, 2017

NVC Scan Date: May 25, 2017

NVC Case Complete: July 17, 2017

Received P4 Letter: August 3, 2017

Interview Date: September 19, 2017

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey guys, I have a question regarding tax filings. We are currently in administrative processing, which may extend way passed the tax filing extension date of October. My immigration attorney has said that most people file as single until their spouses arrive in the US. However, from what I have read on tax websites, they say to treat your spouse as a non resident alien, and apply to the social security administration for an SSN. I spoke to a tax attorney (but he was too expensive for me to use) and he stated that I could apply for an SSN for my husband now for tax purposes, but that when he arrives he may be issued a second SSN. If he doesn't arrive by October, I will not know what to do. I don't want to mess something up for him by him already having an SSN when he arrives. Especially since he is from Iran, and that country is being scrutinized already. Because it seems like according to the IRS, if you are married, you HAVE to file as married either filing separately or jointly. You can't file single at all. So I'm not sure why my immigration lawyer said that. Do you all have any experience? Thank you!

Edited by Joanna_Keyvan

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
On 5/7/2017 at 4:09 AM, Joanna_Keyvan said:

I would strongly recommend you guys hire an attorney. I think it's worth it. My attorney said that if it goes past 6 months for us (we are on month 4) she will file a writ of mandamus. It's a court order that forces them to make a decision since the law requires the decision to be made in a reasonable time frame. She said basically what happens is she will file the writ, and the government's lawyer will file a request for an extension of time to respond to the writ. She agrees to their request, then two weeks later, they issue the visa and she withdraws the writ. She made it clear that this is not a guarantee that the visa will be approved, but if they reject the visa they have to have a good reason and it can't just be because they didn't like that you filed a writ.

How did things workout for you?

Timeline

To summarize what I read through several forums and pages on  Administrative Processing.

Iranian women tend to have less of a wait in AP than men.

Factors that increase the wait in AP for anyone including women is a science background or employment if a science field.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

How long is it taking for Iranian women in AP?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Iran
Timeline
On 1/25/2017 at 1:05 PM, Chicago4ever said:

@Leila, this is a very big news for all of us. So far the focus has been on the refugees and asylums. No one knows what will be included in Trump's new executive order. Hopefully it doesn't target all the Iranians who want to enter the US through the legal process. Our case has been pending AP for almost 7 months in Yerevan and we are extremely concerned about this situation as well. I would sign up for the National Iranian American Council: NIAC email subscription to receive the latest news and consult with an immigration attorney. I will keep you posted if I hear anything further.

Leila, what embassy are you guys applying through? Thanks.

Hi- have you had any luck with your AP process? Our parents case is pending AP in Yerevan as well. I have noticed a massive slow down in the cases being posted. Please share if you have had any success. Thanks.

Timeline
On 2/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, Aminfei said:

Hi my wife went to Armenia Yerevan on November 10/2016  for her interview, and they said your visa its ready but your husband needs to go back to Us to prove his domicile, and because of that, they have placed her on Administrative processing wich has been more than 90 days, so I'm wondering what's going on because her number doesn't appear on the website. However I came back to US two days after Her interview. Thank you

Hi- any luck with your AP being complete?

Timeline
On 3/29/2017 at 9:33 AM, Joanna_Keyvan said:

@Chicago4ever Have you noticed any new immigrant visas posted on Yerevan embassy's site? I've been checking every day for my husband's visa and I haven't seen any new numbers posted for weeks. It makes me wonder if there's a problem. Non immigrant visas, on the other hand, seem to be updating regularly.

I have noticed the same thing. I have been taking screen shots of the Yerevan website almost daily and have noticed that they have barely posted new immigrant cases, but many non immigrant visas. Have you had any success yet with getting through AP?

Timeline
12 hours ago, t75 said:

Hi- have you had any luck with your AP process? Our parents case is pending AP in Yerevan as well. I have noticed a massive slow down in the cases being posted. Please share if you have had any success. Thanks.

Hi there, I'm very sorry to hear that. How long have your parents been in the AP? It took them almost 11 months to complete our AP. We finally received our visa about 2 weeks ago. Good luck to you guys.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Chicago4ever said:

Hi there, I'm very sorry to hear that. How long have your parents been in the AP? It took them almost 11 months to complete our AP. We finally received our visa about 2 weeks ago. Good luck to you guys.

That is great news! We have been waiting since October 2016. Were you all also waiting for an immigrant visa at Yerevan? 

Timeline
On 6/12/2017 at 9:21 PM, t75 said:

I have noticed the same thing. I have been taking screen shots of the Yerevan website almost daily and have noticed that they have barely posted new immigrant cases, but many non immigrant visas. Have you had any success yet with getting through AP?

Hello, Unfortunately, no there has been no update. We are 10 days shy of the 5 month mark which I know is a lot less than many other people have waited, but it still feels like an eternity. Our case hasn't been touched since April 26th (49 days). They only update it when my attorney sends an email inquiry. It's very disheartening.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.